Glue Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby s4son » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:01 pm

Chip wrote:Hahahahahahahahaha,,, critter you sure have a way wid examples,, Gorilla glue folks should jump all over that advertising gem :lol:

It also makes a great hair gel. Your hair will stay in place for days and just a little dab will do ya.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby critter » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:05 pm

hey all,
thats funny,i dont care who you are....forgive me lord,,,bless them little pigmys down in new giny......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:37 am

What about epoxy... can't you use that to glue down the roof?
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby seahorse » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:18 am

Use POLYURETHANE.........You don't want to use a flexible glue......Too much movement and trailer will slowly fall apart.
seahorse
Donating Member

Gorilla glue vs epoxy?

Postby DrJerry » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:57 pm

Question about gorilla glue: How forgiving is it if you don't have a perfect fit up? I used epoxy on the (3) boats I've built. Mix epoxy with filler and you make some pretty ugly joints watertight. :thumbsup:

<Interestingly, the last boat I built was a design called "Weekender" http://www.stevproj.com/WkndrBBB1.html >
Jerry

Watch and laugh as an Engineer with an advanced degree attempts to build a Tiny Travel Trailer:
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/weekender ... weekender/
DrJerry
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:31 pm

...using epoxy like you did or PL construction adhesive would be much more forgiving than the Gorilla glue would..... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Anyone have a problem with using Titebond II to glue the plywood down? That's what I plan on using for all my wood. The roof on mine has a hard curve only at the front. I plan on glueing the front edge to the spar, putting in screws at 6"-8" interfals, then clamp 6' piece of 2x4 across it, using ratchet straps, for "insurance" that it will stay put while I bend the plywood. Then, I will bend the plywood down to the next two spars with glue on them, using another piece of 2x4 across the skin, pulling it down with two more ratchet straps (or run some rope under the frame and use two ratchet clamps to pull it tight). I'll put in screws at those two spars and that takes care of my tight curve. The rest of the sheet will bend easily by hand to the next two spars. I don't think TB II and screws will fail.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby angib » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:59 pm

In case anyone who hasn't used epoxy doesn't believe everythign they read about it, I built the boat below with only epoxy/filler fillet joints - there is no glass tape on any joints.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:03 pm

Oh Andrew,

I can just see it now. You'll be building a knock your socks off teardrop!

:gas:

:lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Boodro » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:48 pm

I used Gorilla glue on my TD, I never used any kinda moisture on any of the joints & they all held just fine! It filled any voids that may occur & was very good at sticking to my fingers!!!!Watch out! Wear rubber gloves.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:53 pm

angib wrote:In case anyone who hasn't used epoxy doesn't believe everythign they read about it, I built the boat below with only epoxy/filler fillet joints - there is no glass tape on any joints.

Andrew

Thanks for jumping in there Andrew....I'm an epoxy builder too, left over from the boat projects....you just can't beat it...and if you wanted to...you can drill and tap it...and it is nearly "bullet" proof....I'm hooked on it... PS great looking little boat....:thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:11 am

HIJACK TIME.
Andrew, got any details on that boat. Looks like a great little river boat.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

Normal programming will return shortly :D
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby cracker39 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:08 am

Is that a mast step on the front deck? I'd like to see a quarter angle shot. The shape is very similar to the boat that I built, and about the same size too. Mine wasn't finished quite as nicely with the fancy molding. But, I did put glass cloth and tape on the joints on the outside as I just used Elmer's wood glue and screws. Getting water inside didn't unglue it either.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:14 am

I think I will get some Gorilla glue to use where my spars are inserted in the framing and screwed to the skin, as there may be a little space between the framing notch and some of the spars to be filled. But, for most of the gluing, the TB II will do the job. I have a feeling that my old Elmer's wood glue would have too. I have used it for years and never had anything come apart. I tried separating pieces that I glued together and had the wood give way before the glue joint did.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:52 am

PaulC wrote:HIJACK TIME.
Andrew, got any details on that boat. Looks like a great little river boat.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

Normal programming will return shortly :D

Image Image

Paul,
Here is my Scow Page. This was my first web page and the plans page is nearly hidden!

Dale,
Two photos of the mast step here and here and some exploded diagrams here and here.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion