Homemade Doors

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Homemade Doors

Postby joramgiles » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Can anyone point me toward some good designs for DIY side doors? I plan to build my own and rather than reinvent the wheel I figured someone has come up with a proven design!
Thanks in advance.
joramgiles
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Homemade Doors

Postby saltydawg » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Search the construction method forum, thats where they would probably be, and look in the build thread section.

Other wise, buy em they dont cost that much thru challenger doors.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:58 pm

On this last teardrop, I rolled my own.

Here's the seal system I worked out. And this is where the rubber meets the road with doors. :shock:

And what they look like on the inside:

I used latches from Vintage Technologies. I found the hinges on eBay. (Don't go cheap with these. Doors are heavy.)

Doors are obviously part of the wall. I highly recommend you build them in conjunction with the doors. Dry fit while on the bench.

:frightened:

They are a lot of work and not cheap. Hinges, latches, windows, plywood (1/4" and 3/4"), and the seals add up. I think they cost me close to half as much as factory doors.

There's a reason a lot of commercial builders use pre-built doors.

But... mine do not leak. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 am

* My camper started out to be a "no/low budget" build, using whatever I could readily find locally, or re-purpose from parts on hand from other projects. I also decided to build it as a simple, angular squareback, using only straight cuts, and thick 3/4" plywood (with no insulation), so it would be very strong and easier? to construct. Certain design decisions I made (45 degree front sloped roofline, and a forward-of-normal door placement) made making my own doors a necessary choice. I cut them out from the sides, and used a method similar to Tony's, to seal them.

* As for using no windows in the doors: I enter the trailer headfirst, with my feet at the door end side, so windows there would've been subject to accidental contact, and possible breakage. And, I wanted awning-style windows placed up high (for more privacy, and security), so none could fit into the doors anyway. I tried making scale-model Wiley windows, but didn't like the way they worked, or looked, and finally bought the awning-style windows I had bookmarked as my first choice, 2 years before I bought them (the windows were bought/installed after the rest was 99% already finished). Here's the way I made and installed the doors and parts I used.

working on it wrote: from another thread I used compression-type automotive doorseals, that I had leftover from restoring my old '69 Chevy C-10 pickup (I wish I still had it) in the late '90's. The seals are mounted on the 1/4" inner doorjambs of the oak bracing surrounding the solid 3/4" plywood doors (totally sealed with "the mix", and multiple coats of poly and paint), and the bottomside has an exterior doorsweep hanging down as a drip-edge, protecting the aluminum threshold there (no rubber seal there, just a wood/aluminum interface).

* Another thing about using those leftover seals from my truck restoration: they were really too thick to let the doors compress them and still remain flush with the sides, so I used scissors and cut about 1/4" width strips from the bulbs, nearest to the inner doorjamb, so they would still have plenty of rubber there, and fully compress. I nearly bought different ones, but the molded corners of the "factory-style" '67-72 Chevy C-10 door seals fit so nicely into the corners, that a little work on them was worth the effort.
door-window scheme.jpg
door-window scheme.jpg (296.7 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
doorseals & compression latches (2).png
doorseals & compression latches (2).png (916.76 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
doorseals and water protection (2).jpg
doorseals and water protection (2).jpg (250.11 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:11 am

I echo what Tony said. Building your own is expensive, a lot of work, and time-consuming. The upside is that you get the design you want. The downsides are that self-made doors can be hard to fit, can be prone to warping if not constructed correctly, and can be hard to seal/weatherproof.

Here's how I built mine:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=71854&p=1251022#p1251048
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 am

aggie79 wrote:I echo what Tony said. Building your own is 1) expensive, 2) a lot of work, and time-consuming. The upside is that you get the design you want. The downsides are that self-made doors can be 3) hard to fit, 4) can be prone to warping if not constructed correctly, and can be 5) hard to seal/weatherproof.

* Though not typical of most doors in teardrops or squaredrops, due to shape, position, and simple/solid nature, my 3/4" thick, window-less, plywood "cut-out" doors were:
1) inexpensive (using what would've been scrap plywood, instead),
2) not a lot of work nor time-consuming,
3) not hard to fit (sanded 1/8" more off the edges, to enable flush closing...extra-thick seals were also trimmed for same reason),
4) maybe, a little, (but, it was because one door became slightly warped, before sealing with polyurethane & paint, due to "someone, not me" moving the door from flat, dry storage to standing it up vertically near an open garage door during a rainy week),
5) not hard to seal, if seals conform to door shape and are securely attached (and doors fully closed...ask me how I discovered the necessity).

* If I were to build it over again, for the same reason (my wife's security during solo camping)... examples to wit: I chose 3/4" plywood for the exterior as secure against most damage, used small windows placed higher-up on the structure, and employed multiple strong hinges and modified/custom locking devices, nothing would be changed. However, built for my personal use (as it turned out to be), tony.latham's or aggie79's doors would be preferable.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:08 pm

My doors are cheap. They look nothing like manufactured doors but they are quick, easy and have not leaked. My camper has sat outside since I made it.

The doors are square and use the plywood cut from the opening. A 1 x 3 is glued around the door leaving a 3/4" overhang. The door is placed in the opening, it just fits perfectly, and a 1 x 3 is glued to the camper for hinges that are installed. The swing of the door is tested and 1 x 3's are glued to the camper side surrounding the door. All the 1 x 3's meet up close and this makes a labyrinth seal. I used aluminum siding J bead as a gutter over the door to funnel water to the sides. Locking screen door latches are used in keeping with the cheap door theme, $10 at the home center store.

A window can be installed later. It is easy to make a Dutch door too.

Tt, not a woodworking craftsman but can design stuff anyone can make.
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby joramgiles » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the input. I should have been more clear on my OP. I am most interested in methods for sealing them against driven rain and water in general. Things like type of gasket, drip edges, etc. I am experienced woodworker and know how to fit doors etc. I'd rather build my own so that I can make it the shape I want though I am not ruling out buying one.
joramgiles
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:03 pm

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:41 pm

foam under glass is the easiest way to build any shape no BS t are p molding to buy are fight. If you get a leak. So what can not rot swell up. 3 steps make skin cut foam cover inside with glass . We do door blanks with willy windows for $30 are so by having window lower in the door helps with colder air coming a cross your face
rise 007.jpg
rise 007.jpg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 3928 times

Picture 639.jpg
Picture 639.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Return to General Discussion