I made a terrible mistake..

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: I made a terrible mistake..

Postby saltydawg » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:44 pm

MickinOz wrote:And yet, when I qualified in shipboard firefighting, it was all about putting out oil, grease and gasoline fires with a water hose. :lol:
To pass, I had to put out a gasoline and diesel fire with a water hose.
There was a kid's playground slide with a 6 gallon drum of gasoline at the top, and a tray of diesel at the bottom.
They opened the tap on the gas drum, and when the stream of gas got to the bottom, they lit it. After a while it got hot enough to ignite the diesel. (No easy thing, setting fire to diesel.)
When all was ablaze, I had to go in with a water hose, suppress the flames enough to get to the drum of gas and turn off the tap, and then put out the burning diesel tray.
With a garden hose, basically.
Can be done.

From some of the posts here, I get the impression that fire blankets are a new idea to some people?

In that situation its all about volume of water or a water mist cooling it off enough to not stay ignited.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:50 pm

I have seen magic happen three times with a fire extinguisher.
One time i heard it first, my hood was down :o
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:06 am

I no longer have a teardrop but I did have a small fire one time. I never cooked on the galley but had a chuck box on a table, I am 6'4" so cooking on top of that was a perfect fit other than the galley. My fire was a separate small BBQ unit that I put our quickly with an extinguisher. I always had one in the galley. Recently some ads for fire blankets showed up on Facebook. My teardrop experience convinced me get some. One is in my kitchen, another is in my BBQ/smoker area and a third is waiting to give to a friend with a new teardrop as a late Christmas present.

Odd, the packet has instructions for use but no maker information I can share.
Be safe out there.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby sean882 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 am

I'm just finishing my first build, but I installed these last night.

One: In the sleeping area, just inside the only cabinet (above my feet). I can reach it without going inside.
One: In the galley, in a small compartment at the bottom. Eventually this area will also have a grey water tank; for now it has tow chains, a shovel, and other miscellaneous stuff.
One: In the tow vehicle, under the back seat but by the door.

No, these locations aren't obvious to others - a downside - but I'm the only one I expect to be using this, and plan to keep things locked up if I'm not there. So they would be unreachable to others anyways.

Last time I used a fire extinguisher, it saved my previous truck and apartment. Was dropping the transmission to do a rebuild (on jackstands, driveshafts already removed), and somehow lit the oily fabric heat shield material right by the engine. Three may seem excessive, and it probably is, but I'd rather have it available than not. The sooner you can empty it on the source, the better chance you have at putting it out.
sean882
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Irmo Atomics » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:36 pm

I keep one in my truck behind the seat and a small one in the galley on the shelf above the first aid kit.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:02 pm

Lower cabinet in the galley. No stove in the galley b
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion