Scratches in Aluminum

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:35 pm

Dave, thank you my friend, I really do appreciate your help. I will give that a try in a little while.

After all the great advice you guys have given me, my mind is now at ease and I am one happy camper. Thanks fellows. :thumbsup:
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:47 pm

I've been experimenting with removing scratches in aluminum and I think I'm winning the battle.:ok: Some of my scratches are so deep you can catch your fingernail on them. I start out using a 5" Dynabrade dual action pneumatic sander like the ones used in Auto Body Shops and Cabinet Shops. For the deep scratches I have to start with a fresh piece of 320 grit and it doesn't last but maybe a minute on the deep scratches but will scuff up the rest of the aluminum. After I'm satisfied with the 320 I use 400 grit and try to smooth out the area to a consistent dull sheen. I clean off the area with Counter Top Magic or Stainless Steel magic using micro fiber cloth from Costco, (24) 16"x16" for under $10 . Now I can use the compound polisher which is a Porter Cable #7428 Polisher made in Germany with cotton pads. Since I sanded the aluminum I have to compound 4 or more times before all the cloudy looking areas disapear. I then use a fine polish and I can see my reflection :shock: and wipe the excess black with (Micro Fiber Cloth) Counter Top Magic and then spray and wipe (micro fiber) with Sprayway Glass Cleaner (Costco) which is ammonia free and works great on my chromed fenders and smoothies. My next step is to purchase a Cyclo polisher and do the final polishing. So far I've only worked on my tongue box just in case I was to screw it up but I feel confident to do the rest of the teardrop. It will be awhile before I continue since I'll have my surgery on my shoulder tomorrow and I'll be laid up for 12 weeks. I'm going to be really bored not being able to work,Image I guess I'll do lots of walking in the neighborhood and go camping in the TD every opportunity that I can :thumbsup: . Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dave Bob » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:48 am

I feel for you Danny, I had shoulder surgery a few years ago. The rehab while not that bad just seemed to take forever. I wish you best of luck and know you will be up and around quickly.

Dave
Never say "What else could go wrong?"
Because it usually will.
Dave Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:56 am

Danny:

About the Cyclo polisher to do the final polishing.
Here is a post that might help you.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 7028#87028
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:00 am

Dave Bob wrote:I feel for you Danny, I had shoulder surgery a few years ago. The rehab while not that bad just seemed to take forever. I wish you best of luck and know you will be up and around quickly.

Dave

Thanks Dave. My biggest fear is boredom over the next 12 weeks. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:01 am

sdtripper2 wrote:Danny:

About the Cyclo polisher to do the final polishing.
Here is a post that might help you.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 7028#87028

Thanks Steve, I was checking that one out tonight and I printed some of it. That's how I somehow found this topic again. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Steve E » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:43 pm

Jim... We have found for general clean up for aluminum on tear that Bar Keepers Friend works well. It comes in a can that looks just like Comet if you are unfamiliar with it and can be purchased at Walmart or hardware stores. If want to try it make sure you keep your rag very wet with the cleanser on it and go with the grain of aluminum as to not add any more scratches. Follow with hose as to not let it dry on tear or it will streak. We also use a car wash sometimes to wash it when not much to clean off of tear and it gives it a little sheen. In our case we are leaving the aluminum raw as to get the weathered look eventually. The aluminum is unforgiving for sure. Don't know how many times when people have looked at it and put their hand on it that leaves a hand print. Bar Keepers cuts that nicely...Didn't realize how aluminum shows each and every little thing but we have just gotten the attitude that it gives the tear "character"
When we put the siding on the trailer the aluminum was a total mess and we were worried what we would do to get everything off but Bar Keepers worked slick. Good luck on getting the look you want! Patty
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ssrjim » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:27 pm

DestinDave wrote:Jim... A couple washings with Dawn dish detergent will get most of the wax off. That's the main reason I recommend boat-owners do not use Dawn -- because it will remove wax from gelcoat finishes. If you really like the look of polished aluminum I think you'll find the solution on the sites Steve mentioned above (Nuvite) and then follow up with a clearcoat like MJ talked about. Clearcoat will need a "tooth" to adhere but the metal doesn't have to be sanded to where it's dull. A light pass with a ScotchBrite and then a good cleaning with denatured alcohol right before shooting should be enough. I'm not an expert on aluminum finishing but I think this will work. Anyone else have experience with this? Doug(Hodder) has finished his aluminum with a clearcoat and is outstanding!

Dave

One word:

Windex
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:24 am

ssrjim wrote:
DestinDave wrote:Jim... A couple washings with Dawn dish detergent will get most of the wax off. That's the main reason I recommend boat-owners do not use Dawn -- because it will remove wax from gelcoat finishes. If you really like the look of polished aluminum I think you'll find the solution on the sites Steve mentioned above (Nuvite) and then follow up with a clearcoat like MJ talked about. Clearcoat will need a "tooth" to adhere but the metal doesn't have to be sanded to where it's dull. A light pass with a ScotchBrite and then a good cleaning with denatured alcohol right before shooting should be enough. I'm not an expert on aluminum finishing but I think this will work. Anyone else have experience with this? Doug(Hodder) has finished his aluminum with a clearcoat and is outstanding!

Dave

One word:

Windex

I believe that Doug uses a paint adhesion promoter called, Bulldog, that is sprayed on before the clear...I plan on checking out www.sharkhide.com to use on the next Al clad tear we build.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:26 am

Dear Danny, Madjack and others..

I found somthing real nice also to remove scratches ... I borrowed my wifes Goldsmith/Silver tools... In this case a 8 inch Rubber Wheel that is normally on a grinding machine ... Its a rubber disc..that is used for polishing silver or gold..

And it polished the scratches right out.. also I used the sandpaper Danny speaks about ...

It worked for me .. so I thought if any of you have access to such its an addition to the tools spoken of here..

I,ll take some photos of it..

Best regards
Classic Finn

Danny that looks sharp... Ive seen them polishers here as well but they are not cheap.. :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:13 am

Classic Finn wrote:Dear Danny, Madjack and others..

I found somthing real nice also to remove scratches ... I borrowed my wifes Goldsmith/Silver tools... In this case a 8 inch Rubber Wheel that is normally on a grinding machine ... Its a rubber disc..that is used for polishing silver or gold..

And it polished the scratches right out.. also I used the sandpaper Danny speaks about ...

It worked for me .. so I thought if any of you have access to such its an addition to the tools spoken of here..

I'll take some photos of it..

Best regards
Classic Finn

Danny that looks sharp... Ive seen them polishers here as well but they are not cheap.. :thumbsup:

Thanks Heikki. It's 3 AM here and since I slept most of the day and was watching a thriller Something Lies Beneath with Michelle Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford. It's really slow typing with one hand :lol: . Ive got this pain pump that is right in the incision that has a 72 hour supply. Can't lay down as it hurts to so I'm sleeping sitting up on the sofa. :FNP Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:09 am

Dear Danny

We pray for a speedy recovery on your shoulder.. Yup I know what its like typing with one hand.. 8)

regards Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanks Heikki, :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Previous

Return to General Discussion