awnings

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

awnings

Postby CodigoRojo » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:17 pm

I was just reading a thread about ez-up pop-up awnings and got me thinking. On my previous full sized trailer, I had a roll-out awning which I really liked. Used it all the time, really made trailer life better. I recently started looking online for awning options which would be good for a tnttt. One that looked great was "Tuff Stuff", which comes in both 4.5 and 6.5' widths. They are manually operated and have a frame with legs so you would tie guy lines to stakes to stabilize. I have no affiliation with Tuff Stuff, and don't know anyone who's had one. The prices seem pretty darned reasonable. And they have side wall enclosures available too, also at a reasonable price point. Anyone here tried Tuff Stuff? What are your favorite awning options? I like the roll-out style like on mass-produced RVs, but fear the price might be steep. The one thing I didn't like was the mold growth factor. You can't always fully dry off the awning on pack-out day, and then you roll it up and who knows when it will get dried. I had an annual ritual of scrubbing the awning with bleach water (messy, big chore) but it still had stains. I suppose that's a problem with any awning.
CodigoRojo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: awnings

Postby saywhatthat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2lcv6eP4t8
might take a look at a DIY 270 awning
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Check out ShadeMaker awnings. They are made here in the USA in Chicago and are really great. I have their 6 foot bag awning plus an awning room that Velcros on. Their price point was much better than their competitors and the workmanship is good.

Bag awning stowed:

Deployed (8 foot extension):

With the awning room:

If you have a shorter trailer they will hem the awning room for you at the factory. There is also a mosquito netting room available for summer that I didn’t get.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:59 pm

We have Kedar Rail on three sides of the tear and four tarps with Kedar welting attached. One with netting. this gives lots of flexibility

155981 143016 80543
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:41 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:We have Kedar Rail on three sides of the tear and four tarps with Kedar welting attached. One with netting. this gives lots of flexibility

That screen room is awesome!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ricky herbold » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:48 am

I have a overland vehicle system 270° awning and it’s awesome. Easiest and quickest awning setup I’ve ever dealt with.
The awning also has walls that zip on to turn it into a big tent. It’s awesome!
Attachments
55D853BF-4C8A-4D83-964A-514A2B6CE278.jpeg
55D853BF-4C8A-4D83-964A-514A2B6CE278.jpeg (185.13 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
ricky herbold
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:41 pm

saywhatthat wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2lcv6eP4t8
might take a look at a DIY 270 awning

Making it look to easy :shock:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:19 pm

I've gotten very tired of toting that darn popup canopy. I added a roof rack at the end of 2019 to mount an awning. Then a job loss and the boogie virus made sure I couldn't find one in stock until December.

Furled ARB 2500

Deployed off grid.
Last edited by Sparksalot on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:20 pm

ricky herbold wrote:I have a overland vehicle system 270° awning and it’s awesome. Easiest and quickest awning setup I’ve ever dealt with.

How high up is that mounted? Almost looks like it pops up before you deploy it.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby mtbikernate » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:27 pm

ricky herbold wrote:I have a overland vehicle system 270° awning and it’s awesome. Easiest and quickest awning setup I’ve ever dealt with.

I really like those.

I have a Rhino Rack Foxwing I got a number of years ago.

0423191439 by Nate, on Flickr

It's pretty sensitive to wind, especially for one person setting it up or taking it down. Once it's up, it's pretty stout, but until the support poles and guy lines are in, it's definitely not. Plus, I like how the OVS and similar have a little more reach to the front. Would cover at least one door of my camper better.

270 awnings are expensive enough that I'm not excited to try to swap from one to another.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby TimC » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:53 pm

Like Shadow Catcher I use Keder rail and rope and a variety of tarps, poles and lines to deploy them. I really like the versatility. I also just purchased a Hasika screen tent and sewed a keder rope to one awning and can deploy that screen tent outside either side door for a private dressing room or behind the galley for bug free dining.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby ricky herbold » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:49 am

Sparksalot wrote:

I’m not sure of the height, but you are correct. I needed the awning to be a littl higher than just mounting it to the top of the trailer for 3 main reasons. 1 was I needed the awning to clear the galley door when it was open and 2 was headroom. Number 3 was the walls need the awning to be a certain height so they are not bunched up on the ground or worse they don’t make it to the ground. I didn’t like the look of the awning sticking up that high when it wasn’t opened up so I made pivoting mounts that let it hinge up for deployment or lay flat on the roof rack for travel ( and to fit into the garage)

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ricky herbold
Teardrop Master

Postby saltydawg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 am

Mine is a silnylon tarp I made with a rope edge, and a sail track on the roof. take it out of the bag, slide it in the sail track, clip the front and read to the trailer. Put up and stake two poles.

Its 12 foot long, comes out 8 foot, but is a half hexagon in shape. Its not designed to be a true weather proof shelter, just shade and protection from light rain.

Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:32 am

ricky herbold wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:

I’m not sure of the height, but you are correct. I needed the awning to be a littl higher than just mounting it to the top of the trailer for 3 main reasons. 1 was I needed the awning to clear the galley door when it was open and 2 was headroom. Number 3 was the walls need the awning to be a certain height so they are not bunched up on the ground or worse they don’t make it to the ground. I didn’t like the look of the awning sticking up that high when it wasn’t opened up so I made pivoting mounts that let it hinge up for deployment or lay flat on the roof rack for travel ( and to fit into the garage)

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that's what I was seeing. I looked at the OVS awning myself. I've heard good things about them. I ended up with the ARB 2500, and really like it so far.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion