So, this just happened...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

So, this just happened...

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:30 pm

A couple weeks ago I was given a 2002 Bushwakka. :shock:

This had belonged to a client of mine. He bought it new and only used it a few times before having a stroke about 15 years ago. He gets around ok, but just can't climb up in it anymore. Since then It's just been sitting in his driveway. A few years ago he bought an Aliner popup which he liked at first but turned out to be junk. The roof leaked and a few things either completely broke or no longer quite worked as they should. This spring he traded that in and ordered a 20' Airstream which should arrive late next month. Since I met him about 4 years ago he has been interested in selling the Bushwakka, though wasn't trying very actively. I had even posted an ad here for him once. He had wanted $3000, then a year or two ago he said he'd be happy to get $2000. Last fall we were doing some work for him and he said he just wants it gone and hinted he might even give it away.
:thinking:
About a month ago I was at his place and he came out to chat. I told him I was thinking I might be interested in his trailer. He said "Really?" Uhmmm, yeah. What's your price these days? "Nothing! Get it out of here."
:NC

So I stopped by that weekend and he had all kinds of goodies for me that came with the trailer. An 80W solar panel, four 6 gallon steel gas cans, six 5 gallon water cans with an air pump faucet, a two way Dometic fridge, a Thetford porta potty, and some gas lines to go with the installed 20# LP tank. There is also a solar controller and 120vac battery charger mounted in the trailer that I haven't had time to investigate yet.
:applause:

A week or so later he had an appointment at the DMV to transfer the registration, so I came to his place and we drove over there. We finally get to the window and greet the nice lady who works for the gubbamint and is therefore incapable of independent thought. She starts asking questions.
:thumbdown:
She asks my buddy Keith:"You're transferring ownership?
"Yes."
"To him?"
<we both look at each other>
"Yes."
"What's the sale price?"
"Zero."
"What?"
"Nothing, I'm giving it away."
Gubbamint lady" :? "
So she asks,"Are you related to each other?"
"Uhhm, no."
So, then the :money: start spinning in gubbamint lady's eyes, and she recites from her memorized script.
"In order to figure 'use tax' we need to know the value. Do you have an idea what the value might be?"
Here's where Keith skidded off the rails a bit. My dad had a stroke years ago and afterwards his mind tended to work this way also. Keith heard "value" and got stuck on that topic. "Well I had most recently been interested in getting $2000 for it..."
gubbamint lady"If that's the valuation you wish to claim, use tax will be figured at x% and..."
:frightened:
I may have been the only one who heard it but I swear there was this horrible wailing of a tonearm needle scraping across vinyl. I quickly reached in my wallet and produced a bright green surrender flag with a photo of Ben Franklin on it.
"Keith, let me make the math MUCH easier here. I'll give you $100 for it."
Keith:" :o Oh, wonderful!"
<gubbamint lady immediately changes to a different script>
"Sale price being $100 multiplied by X%, plus filing and transfer fees... your total will be $24.75!"
:applause: :applause: :applause:

So, for $124.75 I ended up with a fantastic off road utility trailer with a rooftop tent, plus the above list of goodies which would easily go for over $500 new. Not a bad deal. Now while I continue my considerable procrastination skills in the design and building of the Mystery Machine I have something I can drag out into the woods for a day or three AND Keith now has a place to park his Airstream when it arrives.

Winning! :beer:
Last edited by rjgimp on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Re: So, this just happened...

Postby John61CT » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:43 am

great stuff, very nice

pay it forward if no need / opportunity to pay it back
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:52 am

Sweet Deal !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Soderholm » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:12 pm

Hmmm, I have two relatives who work for our government and they are highly intelligent and very capable of independent thought. The woman you ran into was doing her job within the rules and regulations we deem to be important. While rules and laws are sometimes inconvenient, they are usually set up to protect us all and serve the most of us the best way possible for the most possible.
rjgimp wrote:A couple weeks ago I was given a 2002 Bushwakka. :shock:

This had belonged to a client of mine. He bought it new and only used it a few times before having a stroke about 15 years ago. He gets around ok, but just can't climb up in it anymore. Since then It's just been sitting in his driveway. A few years ago he bought an Aliner popup which he liked at first but turned out to be junk. The roof leaked and a few things either completely broke or no longer quite worked as they should. This spring he traded that in and ordered a 20' Airstream which should arrive late next month. Since I met him about 4 years ago he has been interested in selling the Bushwakka, though wasn't trying very actively. I had even posted an ad here for him once. He had wanted $3000, then a year or two ago he said he'd be happy to get $2000. Last fall we were doing some work for him and he said he just wants it gone and hinted he might even give it away.
:thinking:
About a month ago I was at his place and he came out to chat. I told him I was thinking I might be interested in his trailer. He said "Really?" Uhmmm, yeah. What's your price these days? "Nothing! Get it out of here."
:NC

So I stopped by that weekend and he had all kinds of goodies for me that came with the trailer. An 80W solar panel, four 6 gallon steel gas cans, six 5 gallon water cans with an air pump faucet, a two way Dometic fridge, a Thetford porta potty, and some gas lines to go with the installed 20# LP tank. There is also a solar controller and 120vac battery charger mounted in the trailer that I haven't had time to investigate yet.
:applause:

A week or so later he had an appointment at the DMV to transfer the registration, so I came to his place and we drove over there. We finally get to the window and greet the nice lady who works for the gubbamint and is therefore incapable of independent thought. She starts asking questions.
:thumbdown:
She asks my buddy Keith:"You're transferring ownership?
"Yes."
"To him?"
"Yes."
"What's the sale price?"
"Zero."
"What?"
"Nothing, I'm giving it away."
Gubbamint lady" :? "
So she asks,"Are you related to each other?"
"Uhhm, no."
So, then the :money: start spinning in gubbamint lady's eyes, and she recites from her memorized script.
"In order to figure 'use tax' we need to know the value. Do you have an idea what the value might be?"
Here's where Keith skidded off the rails a bit. My dad had a stroke years ago and afterwards his mind tended to work this way also. Keith heard "value" and got stuck on that topic. "Well I had most recently been interested in getting $2000 for it..."
gubbamint lady"If that's the valuation you wish to claim, use tax will be figured at x% and..."
:frightened:
I may have been the only one who heard it but I swear there was this horrible wailing of a tonearm needle scraping across vinyl. I quickly reached in my wallet and produced a bright green surrender flag with a photo of Ben Franklin on it.
"Keith, let me make the math MUCH easier here. I'll give you $100 for it."
Keith:" :o Oh, wonderful!"
<gubbamint lady immediately changes to a different script>
"Sale price being $100 multiplied by X%, plus filing and transfer fees... your total will be $24.75!"
:applause: :applause: :applause:

So, for $124.75 I ended up with a fantastic off road utility trailer with a rooftop tent, plus the above list of goodies which would easily go for over $500 new. Not a bad deal. Now while I continue my considerable procrastination skills in the design and building of the Mystery Machine I have something I can drag out into the woods for a day or three AND Keith now has a place to park his Airstream when it arrives.

Winning! :beer:
Soderholm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pm

:thumbsup: You're very fortunate! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to General Discussion