Camping Safety

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Camping Safety

Postby MickinOz » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:06 am

Just read an on-line news article about a lady being dragged from her tent and killed by a bear in Montana.
Terrible thing.

Got me to thinking.
Would a teardrop trailer actually keep a bear out?

Mine's got walls of 17mm plywood. I'm thinking it'd at least give me time to bolt out the door on the other side if a bear was trying to rip through the side walls.
Dunno what I'd do after that, probably try and beat the bear to the tow vehicle I guess.

Not so confident about the front wall - 7mm ply on the outside, 3mm on the inside.

What's the general opinion on bear resistance of the trailer?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Re: Camping Safety

Postby edgeau » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:58 am

Mate, most people do the lap when they retire. You sound like you are taking the drop stateside!

For our friends from other parts of the world the lap refers to a driving circum navigation of Australia. 15,823km or 9831miles on highway 1.

I am curious though what those who live in bear county think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:05 am

edgeau wrote:Mate, most people do the lap when they retire. You sound like you are taking the drop stateside!

For our friends from other parts of the world the lap refers to a driving circum navigation of Australia. 15,823km or 9831miles on highway 1.

I am curious though what those who live in bear county think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nah, no stateside lap for me. But I am curious. And maybe drop-bears aren't some myth we dreamed up to scare the tourists...........
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:15 am

Just the Mice are enough to scare the tourists :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:03 am

Hard to believe but many folks I know won't go into tall grass, much less the woods, for fear of the mighty wood/deer tick.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:37 am

TimC wrote:Hard to believe but many folks I know won't go into tall grass, much less the woods, for fear of the mighty wood/deer tick.

Heck, I get them in my front yard! :(
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:20 am

For most of my adult life, I dealt with bear conflicts as part of my job. A teardrop, or any other camper, would only slow things down. (We keep a can of bear spray in ours, BTW.) But keep in mind, I don't recall an attack where a bear broke into a camper to eat people.

Predatory attacks on humans by grizzlies are exceedingly rare. The last one I recall in the lower 48 was at Soda Butte Campground near the NE entrance of Yellowstone in 2010. It too involved a tent.

What's extra odd about this fatality, was that she was camped with friends in downtown Ovando near the post office.

:frightened: It's not a place you'd see me packing bear spray.

Tony
Last edited by tony.latham on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:59 am

The best explanation I have heard of a bears power. What ever you can pry open with a crow bar. A bear can do with one paw. So going by that statement I heard many years ago. If you camper smells like something to eat. Yes it could open it. Is it likely to happen? Probably not if you follow proper bear protocal when in their home ranges.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:19 am

tony.latham wrote:A teardrop, or any other camper, would only slow things down.
Tony

I kinda thought the same, it's going to get in if it wants to.
tony.latham wrote:

Tony

She would have thought she was fine camping just off Main Street like that.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby booyah » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:35 am

tony.latham wrote:For most of my adult life, I dealt with bear conflicts as part of my job. A teardrop, or any other camper, would only slow things down. (We keep a can of bear spray in ours, BTW.) But keep in mind, I don't recall an attack where a bear broke into a camper to eat people.

Predatory attacks on humans by grizzlies are exceedingly rare. The last one I recall in the lower 48 was at Soda Butte Campground near the NE entrance of Yellowstone in 2010. It too involved a tent.

What's extra odd about this fatality, was that she was camped with friends in downtown Ovando near the post office.

Tony

So honestly usually when I camp in my TD, especially in bear country I do tuck the 44mag between the wall and the mattress. If I had to I can patch .44" hole in the side of my TD, and slowing down a bear in that case is probably sufficient for 5 rounds to do the duty.

Most of the time I just have it for 2 legged predators, but 4 leggers it would work on as well
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:03 am

Most of the time I just have it for 2 legged predators...

And the odds say it's more likely for that issue than for a bear by a lot. :frightened:

We were camped on the Ruby River in Montana one fine trip and had someone pull into our spot in a government truck about 0700.

"Hey, I'm a government trapper with ADC. I put out some wolf traps on a calf they killed two days ago. Last night a grizzly stepped in one and busted the chain. He's in the brush somewhere behind your camp."

(For Christ's sake...) :thumbdown: It was an IQ test. We moved.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:35 am

Since we usually visit Yosemite every year, I install a loud horn on the underside of the teardrop as I won't go outside to beat on a pan or honk the TV horn.
I have a horn button within a foot of my pillow.
Someone told us a baby bear was rocking the rear corner of our galley one night.
It's the red item in this photo.

:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby booyah » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:03 am

tony.latham wrote:And the odds say it's more likely for that issue than for a bear by a lot. :frightened:

Truth, I hate coming back to my car from fly fishing in the river to see people "hanging out" around it. We're back in the middle of no where, with no reason to be "just hanging out" on my car... I keep a holster for the 44 on a chest rig over the life jacket and waders.

Not advertising, just keeping it handy
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

booyah
The 300 Club

Postby booyah » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:04 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Since we usually visit Yosemite every year, I install a loud horn on the underside of the teardrop as I won't go outside to beat on a pan or honk the TV horn.
I have a horn button within a foot of my pillow.
Someone told us a baby bear was rocking the rear corner of our galley one night.

It's the red item in this photo.

That is a slick idea! for noise I keep my keys in the TD, and the TV is never far away. Panic button works well to make some noise

booyah
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:42 pm

Thanks.
I'm about the remove the aftermarket alarm in my Trailblazer.
The door lock/unlock button sits proud of the arm rest and the passenger or driver can inadvertently lock the door which can set the alarm off while driving.
The first time it happened we were towing the TD over a California pass.
People were pulling over since all our lights were flashing and the horn was going too.
Didn't figure it out until recently when I heard the doors lock and all hell broke loose. :x
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to General Discussion