A/C, how noisy?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby cracker39 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:49 pm

The remote switch for the AC where it can be reached from the bed is another idea for my build. I thought about a unit with remote, but the brand I wanted didn't have one. I may still make my mount covered on the outside and slide the AC in when I get where we're going. The idea of those 40 lbs hanging out the back and bouncing up and down still bothers me just a little. 40 lbs isn't all that heavy to lift into place over the couch back.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:47 pm

Steve, have you considered installing a dedicated circuit with a switch inside your cabin for the A/C. It's not as good as having full control. At least, you hit the switch and turn it off when it gets too cold.

Tom,

Right now I just plug the AC into the campsite outlet, but yes, I've considered a couple of things. One is how I believe Kie from Mexico is doing it...use a thermostat to control a relay and turn off the AC when it gets too cool. The other thing I thougt of was to remote the existing thermostat out of the AC and just use it as normal to control the compressor. Another idea I had was to just learn where to put the AC thermostat so it wouldn't get too cold in the first place. :?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:29 pm

I believe that the thermostat in most ACs is a thermocouple, and that is hard connected and cannot be removed. It is usually mounted right behind the grill to monitor the temperature of the incoming air.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:32 pm

Dale,

I've looked at the one in mine, and it sences the incoming air temperature, and has relay contacts built into it that control the power to the compressor. It's the same type of thermostat that is used in an automobile AC unit that controls the clutch on the compressor (the old ones).
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:18 pm

I unpacked my Haier today and plugged it in. I can't really tell that it is any quieter than the Goldstar that I took back. I'd say it's a little quieter than a Feddders I put in a bedroom at my Dad's house last year. I checked it for the center of gravity (from front to back...they are all heavier on the compressor side). It will install in my back wall with the CG over the spar that provides the main support. I don't think it tend to "rock" back and forth. Not that it can when I install it. I've designed a "box" to mount in the wall and the AC will slide into the box and be braced top and bottom so it can't move. I am thinking of trying it mounted all the time. If it appears to be a problem with it traveling in the wall, I can always remove it and put it in the storage box under the seat. After all, every trailer we build is a test bed for ideas...they either work or they don't and we do better next time.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:35 pm

arnereil wrote:The prices I'm seeing for pet cools seem to be nearing the $500.00 mark. That's a tad on the steep side for a/c, though it also handles the heat part.

Not sure about the thermostat and how that will work. I thought they had some kind of inline thermostat in the unit itself... but I'm still taken with the whole pet cool idea...... can you explain the remote thermostat in more detail and how you will connect it to the unit.... and what type of thermostat it is?

I found mine on ebay. $320 + 20 Shipping. Brand new It has a thermostat but pretty much like a window shaker (either hotter or colder). So the fan runs all the time. I am using a RV thermostat and having it control a 120V relay Relay on the hot circuit. Keeping the thermostat on the pet cool on high. So it and the fan will only run if its hotter than the temp I set it at.
It also has heat. I chose it because I wanted it built in and I want a 1000 watt generator to run it. I camp without shore power 95% of the time
My tow vehicle is a CJ-7 so I don;t have the room to carry a A/C and a large generator in it.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby engled » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:07 pm

I did this two years ago and it has worked out pretty well...

http://home.alltel.net/engled/td/may23.html

...we like being able to leave the A/C at home during the spring and fall.
engled
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:58 pm

Darryl,

I saw your web page before I installed mine. You were my inspiration, if you will. :lol:

I would ask, how is your temperature control working in the trailer?

Thanks,
Steve
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby engled » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:04 pm

SteveH wrote:Darryl, I would ask, how is your temperature control working in the trailer?

It has worked really well. :thumbsup:
engled
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to General Discussion