Air Conditioner: Climate Right CR2500 Power

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Air Conditioner: Climate Right CR2500 Power

Postby sean882 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:25 pm

Hey All,

Does anyone have experience with the Climate Right CR2500 (2,500 BTU) air conditioner? I have a lead on new one (albeit expensive) but the specs look like it might draw a hair more power than my GE 5,000 BTU window shaker I use right now. I'd be particularly interested in real-world power consumption measurements and any commentary on reliability. On their website, it's listed at a slightly higher consumption (4.3A vs 4.1A) than the GE. If you have measurements from running on the low fan mode, I'd be super grateful!

-Sean
sean882
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Air Conditioner: Climate Right CR2500 Power

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:39 pm

We have one, but I don't have power consumption measurements because we run it off of shore power. Takes way too much energy for a battery/inverter, of course, and we don't use a generator.

So far, it has been reliable. We also use the heater when necessary (also off of shore power). I've heard stories about Climaterite not honoring warranties, which made me feel comfortable about opening it up and making minor mods. Mainly, I rerouted the wire for the remote so it didn't come through the cold air hose.

We've also had minor issues with condensed water. Not sure if it all comes through the drain and our hose was loose, or if some originates elsewhere in the unit, but we need towels around it when operating.

That said, it's worked fine for us for a year and a half.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:03 pm

I have the larger model climate right with built in heater. Never had it on an amp gage to check it. I was always on shore power. I have a small Yamamah generator rated for 2K. Normal load max of 1600 watts. I could run the climate right on it in either mode. The generator never came off low idle.

Like T&S said on battery power you need a large bank.

If your close to IN. I would make you a good deal on it.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby sean882 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:23 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:We have one, but I don't have power consumption measurements because we run it off of shore power. Takes way too much energy for a battery/inverter, of course, and we don't use a generator.

So far, it has been reliable. We also use the heater when necessary (also off of shore power). I've heard stories about Climaterite not honoring warranties, which made me feel comfortable about opening it up and making minor mods. Mainly, I rerouted the wire for the remote so it didn't come through the cold air hose.

We've also had minor issues with condensed water. Not sure if it all comes through the drain and our hose was loose, or if some originates elsewhere in the unit, but we need towels around it when operating.

That said, it's worked fine for us for a year and a half.

Tom

Thanks Tom! Do you have the ability to check amp draw at the unit, even on shore power? If you do I'd love to know what you get when the compressor is running (cooling mode) and lowest fan setting. I wish I ended up places with shore power more often, but I'm generally off the battery - so if it's any less power draw than the GE unit I have currently, it's worth going for, for me.

Also, how do you transport it? Permanent mount, or loose/packaged?

Thanks!
sean882
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:23 pm

sean882 wrote:Thanks Tom! Do you have the ability to check amp draw at the unit, even on shore power? If you do I'd love to know what you get when the compressor is running (cooling mode) and lowest fan setting. I wish I ended up places with shore power more often, but I'm generally off the battery - so if it's any less power draw than the GE unit I have currently, it's worth going for, for me.

Also, how do you transport it? Permanent mount, or loose/packaged?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't here. Didn't bring the clamp on ammeter to our summer home base, and don't really have any other way of doing it.

We built in a utility compartment in the front of our teardrop, and it lives in there. We leave the front access door open when we use it as an air conditioner, closed when used as a heater. I found it works better just connecting the output to the cabin and getting input air from the compartment. For the AC, it froze up taking cool cabin air back in. Either way we use it, we leave our roof vent open.

158952 162206 162356

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion