Need a fridge recomendation

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Need a fridge recomendation

Postby Onajourney » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:47 pm

Trying to finish up the wall spars and need to decide on a fridge and size to make sure the counter is just high enough. I actually bought a lifetime cooler and my present design is based on that but now I am thinking I just need to go the fridge route. I know there are still debate about fridge vs cooler but not having to deal with ice appeals to me. Dometic is out of the question. Need something big enough for 2 for 3-4 days.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Re: Need a fridge recomendation

Postby lfhoward » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:05 pm

I’ve got a unit from Alpicool (bought on Amazon) that I have used for several years and it has done really well. Check this video out for an excellent review (including power consumption numbers).

These fridges come in lots of different sizes and configurations. I got the smallest one (a step below Slim’s in the video) so that it would fit under the bed in my trailer. Works great.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:20 am

I just bought a Bodega brand refrigerator. https://www.bodegacooler.com/products/3 ... fridge-t36

I just got back from a 3 week trip and it worked great.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby fredo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:57 pm

bought a BougeRV 30 quart. got it on sale for 269.00 for like father's day sale. it has been ok. we used it like 4 times and after the second time I bought a couple of refrigerator thermometers to check the temp because stuff was freezing when set to like 39. It does hold enough food for 2 people for several days but I am still not impressed with the temp on it. this last trip I set it to like 41 and stuff didnt freeze but i would check on it from time to time and it would be in the upper 40's! I sent an email to BougeRV and this is their reply," When the refrigerator is working, it will be in a working-stop-working cycle, the temperature in the box will be 10F different from the set temperature, and the temperature is not constant, which is a normal phenomenon

So like how do you keep it from freezing or spoiling? I am going to write them back and ask for clarification. I mean you would have to set it for 43F so it wouldnt freeze but then it would wait till it hit 53 before it kicked on the other way if I am understanding that. Maybe I am missing something on how these little 12v/120v fridges work.

one other thing that is a design flaw in my opinion is the power input. if you are traveling with it in the back of just your vehicle you have to unplug the 12v then plug in the 110v and vice versa and the place where you change plugs on the unit is flimsy. it is like it is just mounted to the side of the plastic enclosure. I can see not being careful and holding next to it while you change the cords and having it break.

It has been nice not having waterlogged food from melting ice but I think I am going to upgrade this to a better unit.
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:05 am

Onajourney wrote: Dometic is out of the question.

I have a Dometic CF-45 that has been running 24/7 in my garage for about 12 years now, when it's not in the back of the truck on camping trips. That being said, a quick check on Amazon shows the prices for them have gone through the roof. That's too bad as I have great luck with mine. I think that the key is the compressor; the Dometic uses a Danfoss (now SECOP). Truckfridge has portable fridges that use the SECOP compressor for pretty good prices. I've been testing a TF-130 (relabeled Indel) upright fridge i bought from then for the van and I've been happy with the performance.

https://truckfridge.com/collections/portable-refrigerator-freezers

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:20 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are so many fridges to choose from and most have pretty good reviews (if they're real). Being I am running 35" tires, I am trying to keep my counter top as low as possible, so I am narrowing my choices down to their height. Trying to keep the fridge no taller than 18". Designing this trailer really comes down to laying out every fraction of an inch.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby fredo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:19 am

just a follow up to the BougeRV 30 quart - I contacted customer service and they gave me a video link to do a calibration/offset on the temp to bring it in line with actual temperature. So I will do that over the weekend and see how it goes.
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:09 pm

Probably late to this party but I like my Alpicool CF35. Nice size, efficient.

I just bought a smaller version, the K18 for car camping since for a weekend the CF35 has proven to be a bit large. The K18 won't fit a half gallon of milk (height) but I just reuse an old apple sauce jar which is probably a little less than a half gallon. Cans of beer are no problem. It has Bluetooth but I haven't figured out why anyone would need that feature since you have to be close to the fridge to link them. So much easier to just adjust on the control panel. But hey, this world has gone gaga for apps on everything.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:04 am

I have an alpicool. Very efficiency to run off solar. The above video is what convinced me. They have different models. Different sizes.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby JasenC » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:43 pm

I have the Vevor 32qt which is identical to the Alpicool, which is what I had planned on buying until the price shot up over $500.
I'm my research it looks like that fridge is sold under a few names but I have the strong feeling they are all made by Vevor or at least Vevors design, you know how they do things in China.
I picked up the Vevor from Aliexpress shipped from the US and delivered in 7 days for $195
I was looking at the 42qt but it was pushing my countertop up to 39" the 32qt got me back down to 36"
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Onajourney » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:39 pm

Ended up with getting the Bodega 45 qt. Its 17.5 tall which will push the counter top to ~49". Go big or go home. LOL
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion