OSB3 vs PLYWOOD

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

OSB3 vs PLYWOOD

Postby sepweijers » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:01 am

Can I use OSB3 instead of Underlayment ellittios pine? I'm going to finish it with poor man's fiberglass.I'd love to hear your experiences.
sepweijers
Teardrop Inspector

Re: OSB3 vs PLYWOOD

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:50 am

Take a piece of each and immerse it water for a week, then decide.

Either way I'd seal the edges with the "mix" (oil based Poly) or epoxy.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:54 am

And do a peel test... I dislike the stuff for a variety of reasons. Screw holding is just one.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:28 pm

when (not if) any moisture gets to OSB of any kind you would be very sad you used it

only exterior graded and labeled plywood IMHO

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:05 am

After trying both , we found out we like neither... Both need some kind of treatment to survive... We went to using boards instead ... we used boards for our trailer floor and no problems , and if anything goes awry , they can be replaced one at a time ... Originally we had an OSB floor and that didn't last ... In our Damp climate , plywood always eventually delaminated , despite different waterproofing attempts.
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Steambc » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:48 pm

GPW wrote:After trying both , we found out we like neither... Both need some kind of treatment to survive... We went to using boards instead ... we used boards for our trailer floor and no problems , and if anything goes awry , they can be replaced one at a time ... Originally we had an OSB floor and that didn't last ... In our Damp climate , plywood always eventually delaminated , despite different waterproofing attempts.

Just plain pine boards?
Steambc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:07 am

Steam , they were "clear and dry" treated pine, well primed and painted , However I have an old all steel cargo trailer with a plain board floor ( untreated, unpainted ), that's still in great shape after many years . I do believe the key is , the sides extend down past the floor , so the floor almost never gets wet . :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:22 am

Just plain pine boards?

Keep in mind that boards –-unlike plywood-- swell and contract width-wise as the moisture content changes. I've got a wooden deck on three sides of my home. There's a reason it was installed with gaps. If they were installed without gaps, there would be real issues. Sometimes the gaps are 3/8" and sometimes they are 1/4" depending on the weather.

I've got a utility trailer that's decked with 2" x 6" fir. The same thing happens.

We haul our camper through rainstorms that expose the undercarriage to torrents of moisture and over super-dusty roads. And of course, no dust or moisture gets inside. (The bottom of the plywood floor is sealed with epoxy.)

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Steambc » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:25 pm

GPW wrote:Steam , they were "clear and dry" treated pine, well primed and painted , However I have an old all steel cargo trailer with a plain board floor ( untreated, unpainted ), that's still in great shape after many years . I do believe the key is , the sides extend down past the floor , so the floor almost never gets wet . :thinking:

Thanks for that info. Good call about the sides extending.
Steambc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steambc » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:26 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Just plain pine boards?

Keep in mind that boards –-unlike plywood-- swell and contract width-wise as the moisture content changes. I've got a wooden deck on three sides of my home. There's a reason it was installed with gaps. If they were installed without gaps, there would be real issues. Sometimes the gaps are 3/8" and sometimes they are 1/4" depending on the weather.

I've got a utility trailer that's decked with 2" x 6" fir. The same thing happens.

We haul our camper through rainstorms that expose the undercarriage to torrents of moisture and over super-dusty roads. And of course, no dust or moisture gets inside. (The bottom of the plywood floor is sealed with epoxy.)

:thinking:

Tony

Manes sense, Tony. I'm going to go with a sealed ply floor.
Steambc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:23 am

We caulked between our boards ... No problems ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:34 am

We caulked between our boards ... No problems ...

Glen:

Here in the west, our humidity varies between about 80% (or higher) down to 8% or so. Unsealed wood--especially boards-- can really go for a walk.

And speaking of the weather, she's about -5º at the moment. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion