Water intrusion opinion

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Water intrusion opinion

Postby philpom » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:36 am

I am pretty happy with the seal around the bottom of the walls but have some long term concerns at the front and rear.

First and exploded view of the side wall.

Because I could wrap the dicor over the PMF and under the floor with tar to cover, I see zero issues here but on the front and back it's a little different because the trailer frame is flush so no way to do that.

Here basically the trim and PMF end right where the trailer frame is. The 2x3 is glued and sealed but where you see the asterisks I am concerned about water right over the trailer frame where the PMF and trim ends.

Should I try to seal it the best I can and risk trapping any moisture or leave it so any potential moisture can dry? If I tried to seal is I would do the outside and underside. If that's the option, what product? Needs to be black.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Re: Water intrusion opinion

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:09 pm

Well... for a bit more you could do the real deal and do epoxy/fiberglass. You won't have any water intrusions. Nothing seals wood better.

The P in PMF is an exaggeration (at best). The learning curve for both systems is probably about the same.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby philpom » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:01 pm

tony.latham wrote:Well... for a bit more you could do the real deal and do epoxy/fiberglass. You won't have any water intrusions. Nothing seals wood better.

The P in PMF is an exaggeration (at best). The learning curve for both systems is probably about the same.

:thinking:

Tony

Perhaps but the drawings represent the reality of what already exists so any potential solution must apply as described. If I ever build another camper I'll place heavy consideration towards fiberglass because I believe you are correct. That being said, my primary concern is that seam right under the trim. I'll probably just hit it with some plastic roof cement sealer from a tube and call it good.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:52 pm

I’d do the outside not the inside, so it can dry!
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:51 am

the reality of what already exists so any potential solution must apply as described.

Sorry about that misunderstanding. Is the 2x3" that is sitting on the trailer frame treated with something?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:24 pm

I posted that I leak/pressure tested the tear today. The only way to tell for sure. My prior efforts were successful in sealing leaks. Only one new one around a rear tail light. I will fix it tomorrow.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:22 am

tony.latham wrote:
the reality of what already exists so any potential solution must apply as described.

Sorry about that misunderstanding. Is the 2x3" that is sitting on the trailer frame treated with something?

Tony

No worries, the drawing gave the impression it was a "plan". The 2x3 is glued, caulked, primed and painted like the rest of the underneath. It's the board on the left. This is upside down prior to going on the trailer frame.

philpom
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion