Mainland Chinese Products

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mainland Chinese Products

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:26 pm

Folks, seems like we may be at the end of an era: Inexpensive stuff from China (reaching western countries) may be jeopardized by world events. We may see trade restrictions, or worse. I don't want to be alarmist, but...well... we all see the news.

Many of our tools come from the mainland. Others from Taiwan. Electronics, like the AiLi battery meter many of us have built into our tears, come from China.

Just something to think about.

Anyone want to weigh in on this subject, alternatives, etc? Guess that's the intent of this thread...

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Mainland Chinese Products

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:20 am

T&S, I believe the Chinese have too much invested to give up a viable marketplace . Politics are politics , buy Money still talks across borders... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:56 am

Interesting point, there Tom.
The industry I worked in for many years (toys) was, at one time, very reliant on their Chinese partners. For the most part, I believe that's still so. But over the past ten years I've also seen a shift away from reliance on Shenzhen to other manufacturing hubs such as India, Vietnam, Taiwan, Mexico; for instance.

In our house there always seems to be the discussion on whether or not we can remember, in our lifetimes, if world affairs at any other time seems as dire as it does now (we never have an answer, so it's a discussion that remains ongoing).

I suppose time will tell how the world transforms. Which relationships will strengthen and which will not; or otherwise transgress. But as GPW suggested, "money makes the "Vorld" go round" (to quote Joel Grey).
:thinking:

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:04 pm

I'm all for USA made goods even if it costs more.
I'll pick up an item and look for where it's made and put it back on the shelf, I save a lot of money that way.
Made in America supports American jobs.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:22 am

If I threw out all the Asian made goods I have , I'd be naked and incommunicado ... :o Let's face it , American corporations sold out to Chinese(asian). manufacturers for greater "profitability" ... They went for the Money , not the loyalty ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:49 am

Its funny that this topic popped up, I've been watching a few videos this week from a YouTube crackpot regarding Geopolitical issues. China's going to collapse in 10 years according to this guy:

I'm not ready to put a tin foil hat on yet but I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the van when I did; it's not going to get any easier or cheaper to buy parts and materials.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion