Help diagnosing a window leak!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Help diagnosing a window leak!

Postby philpom » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:04 pm

Ugh...

I have left the camper parked out in the drive for a few weeks specifically for rain and all has seemed well though several rains but we have had some hard rain in the past few days. I checked this afternoon and found water had run down inside 1 window towards the back. Not much but it was enough to create a moist spot about 8"x4" and it ran down the corner wall all the way. No puddling to speak of.

I feel pretty confident that the butyl seal is not the issue (although can't be 100% sure) and I'm wondering what steps can be taken to identify the source so it can be corrected. This obviously can't be allowed to fester.

The windows are 30"W X 20"H and they are sliders. The window slides from the rear forward 1/2 way. The back half of the window is where the window is leaking. I had removed the weep hole plugs prior. The camper is ever so slightly our of level being a bit lower in the rear due to the driveway slop and limits on how low the jack will go, I did ponder of this could be the issue but it's so slight that I tend to think not.

Any suggestions on an approach would be greatly appreciated, at this point I plan on climbing inside and having someone poor water over the window while I carefully inspect with a very bright light.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Re: Help diagnosing a window leak!

Postby twisted lines » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:34 pm

Perhaps a Compressed air nozzle, top and sides With a hose / tube inside to listen with, NOT In the ear :?
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Help diagnosing a window leak!

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:55 pm

It looks like you need a rain gutter above the door.
They come in a "J" shape in aluminum to capture runoff with a curve downward a couple inches past each side of each door.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to General Discussion