CPES & Filler

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

CPES & Filler

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:06 pm

I did get a shipment of CPES and filler tonight. That's what I used on the Baja Benroy, and that's what I plan on using on the Weekender.

If you're not interested in the old look, i.e. aluminum, then CPES, filler and Uniflex 255 is definitely the way to go. You'll save money, and have a durable finish too. And unlike aluminum, Uniflex doesn't need to be polished every year.

I'll be writing up a page one of these days to add to the Weekender site, all about this stuff. Can you tell I really like it? And I don't even get a kick-back. :(

If you have any specific quesions I'd like to hear them, other wise I'll just drone on about all the benefits... :roll:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Spook » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:11 pm

I have a couple questions. Is the sealer just that and if so did you seal the whole Benroy with it? Did you use the filler along the joints and fastener points on the outside?
Spook - Ball Ground, Georgia
Spook
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:46 pm

Can you get it in colors?
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:28 am

Spook wrote:I have a couple questions. Is the sealer just that and if so did you seal the whole Benroy with it? Did you use the filler along the joints and fastener points on the outside?

On the Baja Benroy I used the sealer along all the joints and any openings that had any remote chance of getting wet. I didn't have enough sealer to cover the whole thing. :(

I used the filler to fill any cracks and to fill in the holes left by the screws.
One thing I've learned is that even staple holes need to be filled with filler.

In this photo, the whole curbside of the body has been sealed. You can also see where the filler has been sanded flush.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:09 am

So after you are done you don't have to use sometiype of molding around the curves?

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:17 am

Nope, I didn't use any molding or anything. I let the finished, painted edges just as they are. That's what makes this painting thing so nice. Less work!!! And that's why I am doing that again on the weekender, but with even less work yet.

Instead of t-molding I am going to put in an inside seal, like Rik and Steve did!!!

I really should have built it up out of plywood to show you how fast this can go together. But since I need the lighter weight, I have to frame it, and you'll have to use your imagination, or look at the mockup page.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Spook » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:42 pm

I would have done a step to much if you hadn't brought this product up. I would have done the edges in fiberglass strips like the boat buiders and then painted. Thanks
Spook - Ball Ground, Georgia
Spook
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:10 pm

I like the aluminum look but have doubts as to it's water resistance over time. With an epoxy seal and an aluminum skin on top I can have the best of both worlds. Would you be able to bond an aluminum sheet to this filler? What would you use to "glue" it down?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

The CPES and the filler is perfect for the body, either for aluminum or for paint! If water gets under the aluminum, the CPES is protecting the wood.

I used contact cement on my aluminum benroy, but you know what, it really still floated. The trim angle and screws is what held it on!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Spook wrote:I would have done a step to much if you hadn't brought this product up. I would have done the edges in fiberglass strips like the boat buiders and then painted. Thanks

Glad I saved you a step or two! :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:22 am

Can you get CPES and the filler at Home Depot or some other place or do you have to order it online?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:40 pm

Mike, have you ever had a failure (leak) at the top/side seam?

Also, I'm assuming the white you are appying is paint over the sealer, and that the sealer itself is clear?

How many gallons of sealer would an "average" t/d take to do and how many coats... I think you mentioned two, but can not recall for sure..

btw, I'm liking this idea more and more if you don't have to tape the edges.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:33 pm

Cathy,

It's a mail order item only. You have to order it from the Rot Doctor. But it's worth it! http://www.rotdoctor.com

Arne,

I've never had a leak where the top meets the side. First of all, it's glued up tight, and then it's further sealed by the paint.

Yes, the clear stuff is the CPES.

The white stuff, which you refer to as paint is really Uniflex 255, which is an epoxy based paint.

NO, there are no edges to tape. Let's keep it simple okay? :D

Qty? I used up 2 kits of CPES, 1 kit of filler and just over 2 gallons of Uniflex 255.

I'll keep track of what I use on the Weekender, as that would be closer to an average sized teardrop.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:00 pm

So, one coat of sealer and ?? coats of 255?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:01 pm

I put two coats of Uniflex on the Baja Benroy!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion