Traveling into Canada from US

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Traveling into Canada from US

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:04 am

We're back from a week and half in Quebec Provence. Crossing was no issue either way with the truck camper. Everything is back to pre-covid days! Same old questions about alcohol, tobacco & firearms. We came back early due to weather as a storm system was just hanging around the Gulf of the St Lawrence & the Labrador Sea. Locals explain it was holding in for 2 weeks now and no sign of it giving up anytime soon. Crossing Labrador and hoping the Ferry is running full-time in this was not something we wished to challenge.. A call confirmed that commercial was getting priority due to delayed or canceled crossing. We opt'ed to run this again in late spring/early summer next year.

I will be making a run back into NB this fall! Wish to see the new Fundy Scienic Route that opened up.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mtbikernate » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:45 am

RJ Howell wrote:Crossing was no issue either way with the truck camper. Everything is back to pre-covid days! Same old questions about alcohol, tobacco & firearms. We came back early due to weather as a storm system was just hanging around the Gulf of the St Lawrence & the Labrador Sea. Locals explain it was holding in for 2 weeks now and no sign of it giving up anytime soon. Crossing Labrador and hoping the Ferry is running full-time in this was not something we wished to challenge.. A call confirmed that commercial was getting priority due to delayed or canceled crossing. We opt'ed to run this again in late spring/early summer next year.

Good to hear about the crossing procedures going back to the old normal, as my trip departure date is now under 2 weeks out. Guess I ought to keep my eye on the weather, though. That could certainly change things if it get ugly.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:24 pm

Just returned from a quick visit to Campobello Island, New Brunswick. First short trip due to 'Leo' and kicking us off the island before it hit.

I have to say, Customs seems very bored there or just wish to 'flex their feathers' of the power they have over you. I was searched. Not fully like days of 40 years back and searching anyone with long hair.. but close enough. Just be prepared. As we left I saw they had 2 more pulled over with another awaiting. I think they're bored as hell..

The gal read down a sheet of questions, newbie. She "You have food with you?" Me "Ya.." End of that question.. newbie! She "alcohol?" Me, almost said please, but refrained "Yes, under a half gallon of Vodka and less that a case of beer." She "How many liters of each?" Me "haven't weighed them over the past several days of travel." She "I need to know!" Me "less than 1/2 a gallon of vodka and less than 24 beers." She now frustrated "I need to know weight in liters!" Me " Haven't a clue.. sorry." Pull over there!

It was the worst search I've seen. Ya, I been searched in the early years (I'm an old fart) and Mexico/US still does a better job (both ways). I'm headed up to New Brunswick in a couple weeks, but this time mainland. I'll post up on that crossing.

Campobello Island is unique and worth any BS to cross. Just be prepared. Next time I'll expect it and be even more natural me. Hey, you're going to play with me.. I'm one to play back.

Safe travels!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:56 pm

Twice during our travels this past summer we crossed over
into Canada and back. No issues. We had prepared a
list of what “we thought” might be questionable in
the way of beer, vegetables, meat, eggs, etc.. No problems.
Enjoy your travels and Welcome Home. Good travels.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:43 pm

RJ Howell wrote:The gal read down a sheet of questions, newbie. She "You have food with you?" Me "Ya.." End of that question.. newbie! She "alcohol?" Me, almost said please, but refrained "Yes, under a half gallon of Vodka and less that a case of beer." She "How many liters of each?" Me "haven't weighed them over the past several days of travel." She "I need to know!" Me "less than 1/2 a gallon of vodka and less than 24 beers." She now frustrated "I need to know weight in liters!" Me " Haven't a clue.. sorry." Pull over there!

Safe travels!

:thinking:

Liters...? She needed to know the *****WEIGHT***** of the alcohol... in *****LITERS*****???

Does...not...compute...

I'm just a dumb yankee truck driver, but isn't the "liter" a measure of volume, and not weight?

:?
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:30 pm

A liter is roughly a quart. So, you could have said a couple liters for the 1/2 gallon. For the beers, it depends on the size of 'em times the count and then guestimate how many liters that is. A guess is a guess.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:14 am

S. Heisley wrote:A liter is roughly a quart. So, you could have said a couple liters for the 1/2 gallon. For the beers, it depends on the size of 'em times the count and then guestimate how many liters that is. A guess is a guess.

She wanted me to declare, not guess. At that point it's better to say "I don't know in liters". I never had a n issue before with a 1/2 gallon (1.75L) of alcohol. Beer is 8.5L which is ~ 24 12oz cans (I had 18). Having had a few cocktails previous nights I figured I was well within the limit. Even the 1.45L allowed for alcohol.

If you don't know liters, just say that. I haven't read it anywhere, yet always understood that a combined amount of each for each person is allowed. So even if over by an amount and being well under on beer, We were still okay.

They are bored on that crossing or attempting to prove something. They were the exception, not the rule by my experience. Just passing along some notes of that crossing and forewarning anyone else that plans a run to Campobello Island.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Paypgomonohomo » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:27 am

That sounds like an exciting adventure you've got planned.
Paypgomonohomo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:07 am

Response to spam now deleted

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:09 am

Response to spam now deleted

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:20 pm

Okay, I got sucked in..

I'll share two of my favorite sources when headed into an area I haven't been (or wish to explore deeper). Reddit, join a group of the area (or state). Most all folks love to talk about their backyards! Geocashe, I know sounds weird yet it is not only a fun game out in the wild, but folks put items in places they consider special.

I have several special memories of places I driven into that where of either of these sources.

Safe Travels
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:51 pm

I was in northern MN and drove home through Canada. Entered at Port Huron/Sarnia and pulled up and agent said "just passing through?" which got a "yes", scanned our real id licenses, and sent us on our way. No other questions. Canoes on top (coincidentally both made in Canada), NY plates, and gray hair were probably contributing factors.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby mtbikernate » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:54 am

so my border crossings were pretty smooth. Headed into New Brunswick I used the International Avenue truckers crossing in Calais/St. Stephen. There was just one person ahead of me. Couple basic questions and got waved through. Easy peasy. Might have been partly due to it being actual labor day Monday.

Canadians take that holiday seriously. It kinda wrecked our plans to stock up on groceries after crossing the border. Wasn't a single regular grocery store open ANYWHERE we passed (we needed to be able to buy meat and produce). We gave up and drove all the way to Fundy NP and stopped in Alma for lobster rolls. The tiny little gas station market in Alma was open for groceries, at least, and we bought some of the items we planned on for our next meal. With plans to stop at a larger grocery store with a wider selection a couple days later.

On my way home I crossed at the same spot and got a few more questions about what I had with me. I was bringing back some beer and wine to share with friends and the agent didn't even care to look to see how much I had. I'd even tallied up quantities just in case.

Started getting more questions from the agent about where home was when I told him where we were going. Turns out, he's from a town less than an hour from where I live and his kids both go to college nearby. Still got waved through with no searching. Saw a truck camper get a search (not a detailed one, just a quick look in the back) a couple vehicles ahead of me.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:29 pm

Just went into Canada this morning. The only Home Depot I could find with some particular insulation I needed. Very few questions other than why a Canadian HD. Even returning with $800 worth of fibreglass, no real questions. Strangely easy and smooth.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby MassiveD » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:20 am

The border is now a hostile zone. And has been since at least 9/11. I have impeccable credentials, or al least up until all the recent woke stuff, when good people became suspect. I am unfailingly polite. But I have none the less nearly been arrested twice entering the US. In both cases I only escaped because they didn't want the cost of holding. I was charged on one occasion with a ticket to appear in US court on a misdemeanor. This because, as we all know, it is very important to share "intelligence" which opens up the possibility of false arrest due to clerical errors on both sides of the border. There is a lot more population in the US to be mistaken for than in Canada. I no longer travel to the US, because of it, though I do accept that these occurrences are probably rare. Problem is, that unless you get a police check before your reach the border, you don't know what awaits you, and the border is well behind you by the time you get inspected, so you are both caught, and possibly a violator by the time you get checked.

Things got this way due to the borders, at least on the north being policed on both sides with the primary concern being terrorism, and not how much swag people are trying to import unpaid for. If you are getting grilled coming into Canada, a lot of it is because the US forced Canada to arm the border guards and mean them up a little. The first head of US homeland security never tired of telling the lie that the 9/11 hijackers came form Canada on the week of the event. That Canadian border security was at fault. Not the case. Though, in fairness there have been penetrations over the Canadian border, obviously, borders are not air tight, any more than the internal borders are even policed.

Don't bring handguns to the border while crossing into Canada. I have run into a fair number of US visitors, particularly hunters, who just didn't feel comfortable... I don't know what the rules at the border for other firearms are but you need to do some work before you try to cross from either direction. Bows, are still OK.

I respect the changes that have occurred, but it has certainly changed the way I look at the US, and being Canadian.

I don't travel to the US any more, though I will probably change that now that the kids are gone... I really didn't want to get locked up at the border with a pack of kids in the car.
MassiveD
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion