Cndensation

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Cndensation

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:06 am

RJ Howell wrote:Well as I have learned Baking Soda is hygroscopic. It absorbs <10% volume so not a great one. I bought some very inexpensive quart sized desiccant pods (set of 5 at my local store) and will use those containers with either sodium or calcium chloride. Both are supposedly great for doing just what I wish... Pulling moisture out of the air, hence camper. What I understand is calcium chloride is quicker than sodium chloride. SC being so much less expensive I'll have to test each to see what that difference means to me. Another thought is Sodium chloride seems safer overall. Both would require excess amount to irritate.. Just another consideration.

Figure if caught in that situation again, I'll have some setup in a sealed bag ready for use! I've looked (internet) at several fan type (DC operated) that have potential, but all I have seen so far work with their own cartridge. Hope to get my hands on one to see if the cartridge can be opened and re-filled.

If anyone has one of the fan ones, I'd love to talk to you about it.

Not to burst your bubble here, but I think you'll find that any solid desiccant will rapidly be exhausted inside the camper. You can recharge your desiccant in a household oven set at 175F for a couple hours provided that the desiccant packaging can take the heat.

I think insulating the steel frame it your best bet.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:22 am

Insulating the frame is in process!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:42 am

Update: The insulation is done and I put in a Coroplast headliner. Looks nice! We're headed back out next week (for a week) and seems it will be rainy.. If nothing else it will be a good test!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:24 pm

I look forward to hearing the results of your condensation test ... good luck!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:36 am

Well the Coroplast headliner worked very well! I hit a high of 92% humidity with about 75-82% being normal readings. Ya it was rainy quite a bit, but not inside this time!
I need to watch how much I ventilate as I left a couple windows about halfway over night to keep us cool. That fogged the windows (my 92% reading). Leaving them in just vent mode kept everything clear.

Looks like I'm past the condensation issues.. thankfully. Just so sorry I couldn't keep all that natural light. Going to do some research on skylights and may just build a couple. Ya, like to have that light back..

Safe Travels
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion