Cndensation

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Cndensation

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:11 am

Well we pulled back on the run due to condensation build up. The weather played a big role in this! I can could the hours of sun we saw not by the day, but by the 8day run.. Man did it rain!

I have exposed tube steel on my ceiling and the water vapor just collected to the pint of raining inside. I have plenty of windows, a ceiling fan and 3 portable fans, so I can move air, yet if it's as much water in the outside air.. that's an issue.

Been reading up on Elastomeric paint coating for the outside and thermal paint for the inside. Wanted the exposed beam look, but it seems I will have to install a headliner.

I have a Fiberglass (Kalwall) enforced panel roof that I do need to coat better, so the Elastomeric paint will happen. Would like something oil based is it exists. I have a very good oil based primer that's working on the FG panels and can coat the elastomeric over.
Inside I may paint the exposed steel again (have rust inhibitor on it now) with the thermal paint. I think just insulating and adding the headliner would it, but I saw so much, I want to be sure!

I'm also going to pack some of that RidX or Baking soda to help with the issue.

Any thoughts of other ways or better product to passively control (or low power consumption) moisture?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Cndensation

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:50 am

...or Baking soda to help with the issue.

What does that do? I haven't finished my first cup this morning and I'm scratching a hole in my head. :?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DJ Davis » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:39 am

RJ,

I have to give you a big "nope" on that. When you're dealing with 100% humidity in a rainy situation like that, the only thing you can do is seal up, minimize the wet outside air coming in (yeah, you gotta have SOME air exchange!), and kick on a de-humidifier. Hope that two-cents worth helps.
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:08 am

I think you'll have to insulate the steel frame better. You can try something like 1/4" fanfold foam over the framing on the inside. You just need to keep that surface above the dew point.

You could try double sided tape to test this, maybe on just a portion so you can compare.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:37 pm

DJ Davis wrote:RJ,

I have to give you a big "nope" on that. When you're dealing with 100% humidity in a rainy situation like that, the only thing you can do is seal up, minimize the wet outside air coming in (yeah, you gotta have SOME air exchange!), and kick on a de-humidifier. Hope that two-cents worth helps.

Hear ya. I'm looking at calcium choride as a desiccant to carry along. figure if I can get started early enough, could control.. at least help..

Thank you
Last edited by RJ Howell on Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:40 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:I think you'll have to insulate the steel frame better. You can try something like 1/4" fanfold foam over the framing on the inside. You just need to keep that surface above the dew point.

You could try double sided tape to test this, maybe on just a portion so you can compare.

Been working through that as well. Your right, it does need to be done. I hadn't hit this situation before and hope to be prepared if I do again. I was imagining being 2K from home and running into this! Yikes!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:44 pm

I bought a siliconized roof coating today that is supposed to seal and reflect UV. I'm still debating between XPS foam or Rockwool insulation.. My preference is towards the XPS due to once adhered in adds a structural value.

Headliner is still up in the air..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:47 pm

tony.latham wrote:
...or Baking soda to help with the issue.

What does that do? I haven't finished my first cup this morning and I'm scratching a hole in my head. :?

Tony

I take it you have never used it in your Frig or Freezer.. I have some in both. I've turned toward calcium chloride as it's a true desiccant.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:03 pm

RJ Howell wrote:I bought a siliconized roof coating today that is supposed to seal and reflect UV. I'm still debating between XPS foam or Rockwool insulation.. My preference is towards the XPS due to once adhered in adds a structural value.

I just assumed you wouldn't want to cover your composite exterior but if the condensation is on the ceiling only then that's a possibility.

Wood strips attached over the steel framing might give enough insulation to prevent excessive condensation. That could look OK and be less work than a full headliner.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:07 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:
RJ Howell wrote:I bought a siliconized roof coating today that is supposed to seal and reflect UV. I'm still debating between XPS foam or Rockwool insulation.. My preference is towards the XPS due to once adhered in adds a structural value.

I just assumed you wouldn't want to cover your composite exterior but if the condensation is on the ceiling only then that's a possibility.

Wood strips attached over the steel framing might give enough insulation to prevent excessive condensation. That could look OK and be less work than a full headliner.

Debating something on that idea. Almost becomes a baton around panels. I'll coat the roof with the paint I'm about to post and see how much light still transfers. Ill go from that point for now.. I like that I don't need light until the sun is down. Yet early morning brightness is a discussion wifey and I are having..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:11 pm

This is the paint I'm about to coat the roof with. I believe it has the micro-spheres that are part of the cooling paint technology. Most all warn about water pooling, yet this one has the longest duration I've found so far. For a tear, not an issue, a square you have to think pooling, like me.

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:07 pm

With everything 'm reading so far, I see packing up calcium chloride into individual bags for use. How big a bag is to be determined. From what I'm reading, if raining like I experience.

I will re-coat the roof. Re-think the interior ceiling (maybe after another test with re-coating).
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:21 pm

I take it you have never used it in your Frig or Freezer..

I always thought that baking soda in a fridge was to pull any unwanted odors.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:18 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I take it you have never used it in your Frig or Freezer..

I always thought that baking soda in a fridge was to pull any unwanted odors.

:frightened:

Tony

That's correct.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:29 am

Well as I have learned Baking Soda is hygroscopic. It absorbs <10% volume so not a great one. I bought some very inexpensive quart sized desiccant pods (set of 5 at my local store) and will use those containers with either sodium or calcium chloride. Both are supposedly great for doing just what I wish... Pulling moisture out of the air, hence camper. What I understand is calcium chloride is quicker than sodium chloride. SC being so much less expensive I'll have to test each to see what that difference means to me. Another thought is Sodium chloride seems safer overall. Both would require excess amount to irritate.. Just another consideration.

Figure if caught in that situation again, I'll have some setup in a sealed bag ready for use! I've looked (internet) at several fan type (DC operated) that have potential, but all I have seen so far work with their own cartridge. Hope to get my hands on one to see if the cartridge can be opened and re-filled.

If anyone has one of the fan ones, I'd love to talk to you about it.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion