Weighing as we go

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Weighing as we go

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:13 pm

While we calculated what we think it "should" weigh prior to building and we will calculate on a scale after it's complete, we're also keeping a weight tally as we go :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ0UXq-Xrjk
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Weighing as we go

Postby Onajourney » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:59 pm

I developed a highly sophisticated accurate weight calculator. Take your estimated weight and multiply by 1.5. Should put you crazy close.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:30 pm

I weighed each piece as I built. The only thing I couldn't weigh was the final layers of paint and some coatings.
My weighed parts added up to just over a thousand pounds. The final weight, including an extra cabinet added later, was 1160 lbs.
This was for a 5x8' with a lifting roof.

What I found was that the darker the wood, the more it weighed, especially if it had green running through it. (I avoided those.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:03 am

Onajourney wrote:I developed a highly sophisticated accurate weight calculator. Take your estimated weight and multiply by 1.5. Should put you crazy close.
:lol:
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Buddy-and-Missus » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:04 am

S. Heisley wrote:I weighed each piece as I built. The only thing I couldn't weigh was the final layers of paint and some coatings.
My weighed parts added up to just over a thousand pounds. The final weight, including an extra cabinet added later, was 1160 lbs.
This was for a 5x8' with a lifting roof.

What I found was that the darker the wood, the more it weighed, especially if it had green running through it. (I avoided those.)

Keeping our fingers crossed to come in below 1500 - that's the dry weight goal anyway :)
Buddy-and-Missus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:49 pm

if you have or can find one of them old 'spring' bathroom scales = kept it on stand by in your work area for 'ques-ti-mating' weights ......I say one of them 'old ones' being I haven't had much luck with them newer 'electronic' gismo ones being they always want to shut off just as you are trying to figure the weight of something = typical computer 'garbage' always trying to "out-think" what I am thinking............ :thumbdown: got mine from a friend who was throwing things away from her family's homestead - traded one of them newer ones for her's = she loves her 'new' one and I love my 'old' one.............. :thumbsup:

PS this old metal one also works "great" for weighing the trailer tongue - I say this after breaking one of the newer plastic ones when I tried weighting my tongue with it a few years back .......... :cry:
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion