Cargo-Camper pictures and profile posted

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Cargo-Camper pictures and profile posted

Postby DANL » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:24 am

Whew! Finally got my site updated.

The rest of the construction photos, some shots at the campout, and comments are at this link. Lots of pictures so please be patient on download.

http://home.att.net/~daniel.v.jones/tea ... age_2.html

The profile and dimensions have been added at the bottom of this page.

http://home.att.net/~daniel.v.jones/tea ... esign.html

Might get the chassis back from the welder today so I can put it back together and start on interior varnishing and decorating.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:43 am

Hey Dan,

That's a might fine looking Pod you got. Couple quick questions...

What do you have on the floor in there?

Where did you get your windows, and what size are they?

You mentioned that you are going to cover your counter with formica. Will you document that process for us. I think I'm going to cover the counter in the Weekender with Formica.

Thanks,

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DANL » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:36 am

Hi Mike,

The floor is covered with a seamless vinyl "layflat" type floorcovering available at Menard's and probably most anywhere else. Layflat type vinyl is designed to roll out and lay very flat. No adhesive is required to make it stay flat. Some vinyls will forever try to roll themselves back up--kind of the linoleum version of a return to the womb thing.

I put the vinyl down prior to putting the walls up so that the walls sit on top and keep it in place. If you install it after the walls are in place, you can simply use some shoe mold to hold it down. If I decide to use another pattern down the road or if it gets damaged, I can cut it out along the edges and lift it out without having to try to remove adhesive.

I chose a speckled pattern without a tile look because we will have the floor exposed frequently. Tile patterns tend to make a space look smaller. Of course, this wouldn't matter if your floor is always covered with a matteress.

Those are 15" by 18" windows from Grant Whipp. They might look a bit different because I put drip cap above the frame of each one.

I'd be happy to document the formica process. It's really quite easy as long as one takes time and uses a bit of care. I'll probably get to that within a few days.

Looks like the Weekender is coming along fine. Kind of makes me want to try to build something in a weekend just to see if it can be done. I'm afraid it wouldn't be a work of art though.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:55 am

Mike,
Formica installation is easy, just be careful if doing it in a confined area. (Glue fumes are very flamable)
Cut formica pieces a little bigger than finished size. Edges get installed and trimmed first. Use a contact type of glue, like Weldwood Contact Cement. Both surfaces get a coat of glue and are allowed to cure for about 10-15 minutes. Install end edge piece(s) first. (If any) Install face edge(s) second. Install top last. I use spacer sticks to keep formica elevated just above countertop surface when installing. I start at one end and work my way down to the other end, removing spacer sticks as I go, being carefull not to trap any air. They make rollers for this proccess also.
Trimming is done with a router bit that cuts flush and has a bearing race to keep from damaging formica installed on edges.
It would be easier to do your formica work before counter is installed inside of trailer. If it is already installed, it will just take a bit more time and care, as pieces will need to be fit more precise on certain edges and trimming may not be able to be finished completly with router. A hand file can be used for places where router can't go.

Return to General Discussion