Pop-Up Camper Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Pop-Up Camper Question

Postby OcoeeG » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:51 am

Hello everyone! First Post here. What an amazing resource this is for DIY campers, can't wait to dive deeper.

I want to make a Square drop for my family of 3 (+ dog) and I think I have decided upon a 6x10 with a bunk for my 11 y.o. on an old pop-up camper frame. Any input of do's and don'ts of pop-up frame reuse are more than welcome. She doesn't have to be too light as I will be towing with a Tacoma, but the lighter the better in my opinion.

Another question I have is about bits and bobs that can be reused from a pop-up. I am looking right now, I am trying to find one that is cheap but in decent shape. Might try to find one I can reuse sink, stove, maybe A/C. What else is reusable on these things?
OcoeeG
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pop-Up Camper Question

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:46 am

There is a lot that can be salvaged from a PU camper. Aluminum, plumbing, and the lifting mechanism *might* be resellable.

The stove and ice box may not be reusable because of the differences in floor usage in a PU camper. It may have resale value.

Other than that, once stripped do a good inspection of the frame for cracked welds etc. Carefully inspect the suspension, it will never be easier to work on.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Pop-Up Camper Question

Postby RBB » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:26 pm

[quote="OcoeeG" Any input of do's and don'ts of pop-up frame reuse are more than welcome. She doesn't have to be too light as I will be towing with a Tacoma, but the lighter the better in my opinion.[/quote]
I just started my build on an old (1971) Skamper Pop Up frame. I was initially surprised how... flimsy it was. I spent a few days sanding, grinding, and sandblasting the frame then painted it with POR15. Looks like new!

With my particular frame, I noticed the axel is a non-standard width (at least compared to the parts readily available today) and the original tires were on the small side. I ended up replacing the bearings, bushings on the springs, and found some newer tires with the same 4x4 bolt pattern. I still need to replace the safety chains and front leveling jack.
From my research, the original frame was designed for about 1250lbs curb weight... but it could sleep 8 adults... so... we will see how strong it is!

If you can find a pop up with working heater, ac, fridge, etc... but "water damage" or ripped canvas, it could be a VERY good way to acquire some of this equipment and have a donor frame for a new build!
Depending on the model, the lift arms and mechanics may be worth a little on EBAY, could help finance the project. Other parts that may be worth listing on Market place would be the doors, support arms for slide outs, or other "easily removeable, easily lost" parts.
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion