Safety Precaution

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Safety Precaution

Postby Capebuild » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:29 am

We recently traveled up to Cape Breton. Beautiful up there. We had to leave before we had planned as the Provincial Parks were closing
due to Hurricane Lee. I did find a bumper sticker on our travels that seemed important.
John
Attachments
IMG_9998 Medium.jpeg
IMG_9998 Medium.jpeg (183.06 KiB) Viewed 337 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Safety Precaution

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:33 pm

I did find a bumper sticker on our travels that seemed important.

We were pulling our teardrop on a dirt road in southern Utah and had a squareback pass us going the other way. His hatch was open and there was no way to turn around and let him know. We kept looking for gear on the road but found none.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:06 pm

Capebuild wrote:...I did find a bumper sticker on our travels that seemed important.
John

Haha! I didn't lose anything but on one of my first trips with my first TD back in 2016 I stopped at a stop sign and my road side door swung open and made a terrible racket. Nothing lost, nothing damaged.

I double and triple check those kinds of things now.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:18 pm

That bumper sticker is probably more effective than one that says "Not responsible for damage. Stay back 50 feet" or whatever.

I had a folding aluminum table that I took tent camping (before I met Shelly). First time I took it out I lost about half of the little plastic ends that fit in the slats. Three years later, I camped at the same spot (not an organized campsite, but the fire ring showed occasional use) and found most of them.

Also I once lost a D ring from the Jeep's front bumper. Luckily I was going about 20 mph on a dirt road and heard it hit the ground. Since then, I've wire tied the bolt holding it on so it can't spin.

Shelly has the better story though: She was driving on I-40 through Albuquerque and saw a trailer that wasn't attached correctly. Next thing anyone knew, the trailer passed the tow vehicle--in the right lane so technically, the trailer violated the law! For some reason (this being Albuquerque) all of the drivers stopped, and the vehicle owner was able to get everything safely to the side of the road.

Tom :FNP
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:05 pm

was the last one leaving our campground one morning years ago on our '16 Canadian Teardrop Crawl when I passed blue lidded plastic tub sitting on the edge of the road shoulder - it kind-of looked familiar?? = thought about turning around and picking it up but didn't. About 20/25 miles later I met back up with our group as they were loading onto the ferry boat for crossing the river and noticed Larry looking for something around his trailer/Jeep which is when I remembered where I had seen it before = it was his 'didy' box with all his tie-down straps and 'miscellaneous' tools in it...... it's now been years later = it still could be sitting there on the edge of the road ???? :roll: (guess you could blame that on them 'flat top Jeep fenders' that I always thought would be so cool to have 'if/when' I ever bought another trailer in the future = :oops: ??maybe 'too easy' to leave stuff on them??....... :cry: ...........

these last few years of getting older (and maybe a-bit ??wiser?? - I have been trying to keep up the practice of taking my 'slow' "look-see" walk around my whole set-up just before leaving the campground and heading on down the road ....... :thinking:
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cdnred » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 am

We were up in Alaska on a trip and drove with the car to a scenic spot to take some pics. My SUV has a remote release for the rear hatch that seems to always open by accident. As we got back in the car to return to our campsite the rear hatch opened without either of noticing until we reached camp. We had a water tote bottle in the back of the car that had fallen out. I was back to the spot that we left within 5-10 minutes but it was already gone. I loved that tote and once we got back I had to buy another..
Attachments
tote.JPG
tote.JPG (44.56 KiB) Viewed 213 times
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DJ Davis » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:10 pm

I'm sure most of y'all are familiar with, or also perhaps are members of, the Tear Jerkers. For those not familiar with it, the logo has a teardrop pulled by a hotrod, the hatch is open, and a skillet and coffee cup are shown flying out of the galley.

A while back I had, shall we say, a "pre-flight check item omission" and my hatch opened (fortunately) just a few miles from home. I posted a topic on the TJ forum asking if anyone else had experienced "living the logo," as I put it. Look for "Asking (re-asking?) a potentially embarrassing question." The common error "admitted" was not making sure the side doors were closed securely. Yeah, double, and sometimes TRIPLE checks, are the way to go.

"Older and wiser" was mentioned above, but that kinda goes out th' window when that last working brain cell works intermittently! :roll:
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion