Dispersed Camping on BLM Land

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Dispersed Camping on BLM Land

Postby cdnred » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:23 pm

Looking for opinions on dispersed camping on BLM land. Couldn't find any appropriate location to place this post in.

I lived in Washington state for 5 years and camped on BLM land in Oregon near John Day Fossil Beds. At the time and even today I hear about campsite thievery going on at isolated spots. When we were camped at the John Day location (which wasn't isolated) we observed some guys driving thru in their pickup truck surveying the area, made us feel uneasy and unsafe the entire time we were there.

I realize that no matter where we go, we always need to be alert in our surroundings. Is this still a major concern to worry about today on BLM lands..? I'm becoming a bit hesitant of camping or leaving something unattended for fear it'll disappear. I've heard lately that in Washington state that when people leave their cars unattended to go fly fishing the rivers, they come back to find their cars/trucks broken into or damaged. Takes all the fun out of enjoying the outdoors..

Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Dispersed Camping on BLM Land

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:50 pm

Is this still a major concern to worry about today on BLM lands..?

We've teardropped on BLM for nearly two decades without an issue.

Turn your speakers up: :frightened:

https://youtu.be/CQyynUdx9Ag?si=egF1Tz8J-ILefPap

But we go to the beyond.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mountainminded » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:22 pm

Karen and I love camping but we don’t love campgrounds. At least 48 of the last 50 nights in our teardrop have been spent dispersed camping on BLM and Forest Service lands. We’ve never had an issue and rarely do we encounter other people. Living in Central Oregon our experience is limited to the Western states. I believe that it’s a numbers thing— in areas where there are wide open spaces and few people there are fewer problems with people.

Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:54 am

Though we've not experienced any issues, we have driven into an area or two that we just didn't feel the 'vibe' like we should have and left. I tend to agree with it's a number thing.. Those areas were near (or in) the more popular destinations.

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cdnred » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:47 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Is this still a major concern to worry about today on BLM lands..?

We've teardropped on BLM for nearly two decades without an issue.

Turn your speakers up: :frightened:

https://youtu.be/CQyynUdx9Ag?si=egF1Tz8J-ILefPap

But we go to the beyond.

Tony

Tony, I was reading some older posts over the holidays and came across the video you took of the 4 corners area. I've been several times to Mesa Verde in the 4 corners area while I was working in Denver and loved it. Looks like a beautiful spot for enjoying the summer to do some fishing and exploring. Can you recommend some guide books or info on how to find some of those off the beaten spots worth exploring. Being from the Great Lakes area, campgrounds are filling up too rapidly and crowded for me to enjoy. Camping the backcountry like you've been doing seems so stress relieving and fun..

Happy New Year
Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:30 pm

Looks like a beautiful spot for enjoying the summer to do some fishing and exploring. Can you recommend some guide books...

That country isn't very hospitable in the summer. We go down in mid-April for a month. You need to visit the region in the spring or fall. And it's not fish country. It's as dry as a rock. Here's a typical creek:

:lol:

I don't know of a guidebook, but I highly recommend Andrew Gulliford's book. https://www.amazon.com/Bears-Ears-Landscape-Refuge-Resistance/dp/1647690773/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1703906806&sr=1-2

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:56 am

tony.latham wrote:I don't know of a guidebook, but I highly recommend Andrew Gulliford's book. https://www.amazon.com/Bears-Ears-Landscape-Refuge-Resistance/dp/1647690773/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1703906806&sr=1-2

Tony

Thanks for the recommendation of Gulliford's guidebook. I read some reviews of his book and he seems to really dig deep into the subject which I like, it's on my next book to buy. I'm debating on whether to take the long drive to Alaska next summer or just hunker down in one spot like the Four Corners area for exploring and relaxing. Maybe head to Arizona to meet up with friends there. I've been to the Four Corners area several times when I was working out west and I know it hits 110+ F frequently in the summer..

Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:07 pm

BTW, when we were up there last Spring the Navajo nation started charging entrance fees to all of the parks on their land, including Monument Valley and 4 corners itself. We decided the price was too steep for the intesection of two imaginary lines at four corners. ($8/person)

Plenty of good stuff to see around there, and all along the Utah/Arizona border though! We want to do it more thoroughly, but we'll try and pick a Spring or Fall timeframe.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:BTW, when we were up there last Spring the Navajo nation started charging entrance fees to all of the parks on their land, including Monument Valley and 4 corners itself. We decided the price was too steep for the intesection of two imaginary lines at four corners. ($8/person)

Tom

I was working in Salt Lake City back in '98 the first time I took a trip to the 4 Corners and back then it was free. In 2016 when I was working in Denver I took another trip down there and noticed they charged to enter the 4 Corners, not worth the price I passed as well. I was over in the Window Rock area and saw a trail going down to some cliffs that I wanted to see. I was actually required to pay an Indian guide to take me there if I wanted to go. I wasn't allowed to walk the short distance on my own. I feel for the Navajo Indians with what they've had to endure thru history but they're putting me off entirely with what they're trying to charge, scalping as it were..

Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cdnred » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:24 am

On another note about camping on BLM land. Being away from home and camping on BLM land, I have enough gear to boondock comfortably. Being totally new to dispersed camping, what and where do others go for potable water sources..? I'm sure your friendly gas station may become reluctant over time to having you drop in every few days to have your tanks filled. Do most just go out and buy a large container of bottled water where available..? Just curious as to how others are getting around this issue..

Just picked up a copy of "Bears Ears: Landscape of Refuge and Resistance by Andrew Gulliford", recommended by Tony. Found the book to be thoroughly researched and very informative of Native American life in the Four Corners area, highly recommend..

Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:04 am

Found the book to be thoroughly researched and very informative of Native American life in the Four Corners area, highly recommend..

I'm glad you liked it.

For our month-long Four-Corners trip, we know what commercial places have water. For one town, I'll gas up, go in and buy two showers (they do that, too), and ask if I can fill up a couple of water jugs. There's also a BLM campground in a town to the south with water that's not too far off.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:11 am

tony.latham wrote:I'm glad you liked it.

For our month-long Four-Corners trip, we know what commercial places have water. For one town, I'll gas up, go in and buy two showers (they do that, too), and ask if I can fill up a couple of water jugs. There's also a BLM campground in a town to the south with water that's not too far off.

Tony

:thumbsup:
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion