NH to FL in February

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

NH to FL in February

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:26 am

I'm always open to new places to overnight as we travel south during winter. Coming out of the Nor'east and never wishing to drive much more than ~250 miles a day that typically means a hotel in PA the first night. We travel down the Rt 81 corridor vs. Rt 95 and really do like that way much better. That puts us near Roanoke (love to find something in the Jefferson NF), we stop again before Atlanta (I see Nantahala National Forest, Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests, Talladega National Forest) and then we enter the Panhandle of Florida and slow down!

We love stays in NF's and to add those into the run would be great! Any have suggestions of overnight spots?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: NH to FL in February

Postby mary and bob » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:02 pm

We live near Albany NY, and for several years wintered in Georgia and Florida. We would take the NYS Thruway down to I84 then over to I81. We would do an overnight stop at Natural Bridge KOA in VA, then on to Cheraw State Park in SC for a couple nights. Then we would head over to the East coast of GA and Florida. We did one overnight one time at Magnolia Springs SP in GA. We have done a couple nights at Stephen Foster Folk Culture SP in Florida and also at Henderson Beach SP in Florida. We found campgrounds using the Woodalls directory, along with another book that was all State Park campgrounds and another book that was the Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds. We would leave home just before Thanksgiving and return home March 1st.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby steve cowan » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:58 pm

Cloudland Canyon SP in NW Georgia and Cheaha SP in Alabama [Talladega NF area} are great.Also FDR SP in SW Georgia is nice.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:03 am

Good info folks! Thank you! All these spots are new to me and research time coming again!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:00 am

RJ Howell wrote:Good info folks! Thank you! All these spots are new to me and research time coming again!

Thank you for asking the question and to those who responded. We may get a chance to use this info as well (perhaps others on here too). :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:01 pm

I've driven past Natural Bridge a few times and wondered.. That KOA is closed in Feb so that's out. The State Park there is tent only, weird, yet may be walking sites. I hoped for North Creek CG in Jefferson Natural (near Natural Bridge) and seems it's closed in Feb (going to call on this to confirm).

Just called. All 3 CG's in that district are closed.. but, there's a legit pullout I confirmed as doable. A free overnight, my favorite kind! SR 614 Arcadia, VA May even be tarred all the way in. 3.2 miles off Rt 81 exit 168.

Now for something close to Atlanta.. Brush Creek Park is on my list now and will check into this next.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:26 pm

RJ Howell wrote:Now for something close to Atlanta.. Brush Creek Park is on my list now and will check into this next.

Just occurred to me that the first part of our trip "log" from NY to New Mexico last year might be of some use:

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=75257

Near Atlanta, we stayed at Red Stop Mountain State Park, which was as close as we could get. Rather cold in early November, it (and Atlanta) are in mountains. Probably looked the same to us as it would in February, except they may have some snow by then.

We visited friends in Raleigh NC the stop before (also in higher elevations) and were watching the weather, avoiding a hurricane that entire part of the trip. Another way would have been to stick closer to the coast until we got to Northern Florida and then west from there. The idea would have been to stick to lower elevations and enjoy some warmer weather. But that's us, if you're traveling in February, you're probably okay with the conditions you'll encounter in the mountains then.

Also, our trip was catch as catch can, with little planning more than a day or so in advance. As you are planning now, I'm pretty sure you will find the nice spots.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:58 pm

Going to Florida is just opposite of what we normally do. Like you we decide each day what's next. Florida.. you just can't do that.. Reserve and reserve some more.. Especially for the good places.

I saw Red Top as I was researching McKaskey Creek & Upper Stamp Creek CG's. Both I believe are NF's! Same basic area, but I'll get a discount there (next best thing to free). I need to call them tomorrow and check what's up. I think reserve window starts Dec 1st.

Thanx for the info!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mary and bob » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:09 pm

Natural Bridge KOA must have changed as the 2021 KOA book shows open all year. It was November or March when we were there. We have also done an overnight stop at the Jonestown / Hershey KOA in PA. We checked out another campground in PA, Western Village, that is near Carlisle and just off I81, open all year. It looked OK but we never stayed there. When we wintered in Georgia (Jekyll Island) and Florida (all over the state) we had almost everything reserved before we left home. For the few gaps with nothing reserved we knew places that always had spots. Some people that are just traveling to a destination like to overnight at a Walmart (did it once, never again) or Cracker Barrel (haven't tried it) and apparently now some Love's Travel Centers have camper areas with hookups. We did a truck stop one time, can't remember if it was Love's or Flying J, but it had food and clean restrooms. Just don't pick a truck stop on a hill because you'll get Jake Brake noise all night. We no longer winter in the South, all our camping is in the Northeast.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Onajourney » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:54 am

I would consider keeping the route close to the coast. Take some ferries and and enjoy so many wonderful towns and camp sites dotted along the way without any of the crowds. There are plenty of places to camp within 40 miles of the coast all the way to FL to keep your days drive under 250 miles. We did a similar trip last January for a week and mixed in a couple of hotel stays which was nice too. I am one that finds planning the itinerary half the fun.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:02 pm

mary and bob wrote:Natural Bridge KOA must have changed as the 2021 KOA book shows open all year. It was November or March when we were there. We have also done an overnight stop at the Jonestown / Hershey KOA in PA. We checked out another campground in PA, Western Village, that is near Carlisle and just off I81, open all year. It looked OK but we never stayed there. When we wintered in Georgia (Jekyll Island) and Florida (all over the state) we had almost everything reserved before we left home. For the few gaps with nothing reserved we knew places that always had spots. Some people that are just traveling to a destination like to overnight at a Walmart (did it once, never again) or Cracker Barrel (haven't tried it) and apparently now some Love's Travel Centers have camper areas with hookups. We did a truck stop one time, can't remember if it was Love's or Flying J, but it had food and clean restrooms. Just don't pick a truck stop on a hill because you'll get Jake Brake noise all night. We no longer winter in the South, all our camping is in the Northeast.

Much apprieciated thoughts and info here. We hotel first night out of here just because it's February and shivering cold. Next stop in VA I have found a story I'm looking forward to checking out! Near Atlanta is becoming more of a challenge!

Walmarts are touch n go.. Now even more are just saying no due to folks 'living' in their parking lots! I watched a guy dump his tanks in the rain drainage in the parking lot!! After seeing that, I don't much blame them. I have a decent Cracker Barrel marked out just north of Atlanta.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:15 pm

Onajourney wrote:I would consider keeping the route close to the coast. Take some ferries and and enjoy so many wonderful towns and camp sites dotted along the way without any of the crowds. There are plenty of places to camp within 40 miles of the coast all the way to FL to keep your days drive under 250 miles. We did a similar trip last January for a week and mixed in a couple of hotel stays which was nice too. I am one that finds planning the itinerary half the fun.

We may come back along the coast. Thinking of going up to Savannah and following the river corridor north. That goes well over Augusta and back towards the Rt 81 corridor. Much research yet for the return to find out what will be open..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:27 pm

Update: McKaskey Creek, Upper Stamp Creek and Brush Creek are closed and reopening in March. Red Top Mountain has a two night minimum, bummer. At that $ I can get a room, which I prefer not to. So far it's looking like my first Cracker Barrel stay may be happening.. satellite view of the one in Kennesaw looks decent.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mary and bob » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:41 pm

In Kennesaw there is a nice museum that has some Civil War stuff and the Locomotive The General which was stolen in the Andrews Raid which was made into the Disney movie The Great Locomotive Chase. The locomotive that chased and caught it, The Texas, is in a museum in Atlanta. We went by Atlanta one time, traffic was crazy, 4 or 5 lanes of high speed traffic. When we headed home from Florida or Jekyll Island we would go up to Huntington Beach SP in South Carolina, Janes Island County Park near Charleston, Skidaway and Rivers End campground near Savannah. We've done a couple different trolley tours in Savannah, ate at Paula Deans and Mrs Wilkes. An alternative route up through Virginia is Route 29, we took it one time, it goes right by the Waltons museum and boyhood home of Earl Hamner who the Waltons TV show is based on.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:28 pm

I am a persistent bugger at times.. think I found my spot near Atlanta! Oconee River CG in Oconee National Forest. East of Atlanta and different routing south out of North Creek (actually the pull-out nearby). Only adds `30 minutes to the drive and easy following day to Newport, FL, our first stop in the FL tour.

Since we'll be traveling back in March, more should be open!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion