Propane Heaters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Propane Heaters

Postby Dahlia47 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:40 pm

Hi! Been a while!

I am looking for a propane heater. I will be buying a propane alarm just to be safe. I need something small and safe. I'm not too sure the Mr buddy would be the best fit. My ttt is about 10*6*6 if I remember correctly. I was given a whole bunch of Coleman propane tanks. They are full and need to be used. After they are gone I will get a 5 lb tank.
Any suggestions? Anything new on the market?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Propane Heaters

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:51 pm

This guy camps in Alaska with a teardrop and uses a Heaterbuddy. Take a look at his hacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjj8mCEuAnM
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:45 pm

I am looking for a propane heater.

Well, without a doubt, the Propex is the best propane heater for a teardrop. They are tiny.

I did an installation post over here:

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=72075&p=1271154&hilit=propex+heater+installation#p1271154

The catch is they are expensive. But they only use .3 pounds of propane an hour (and they aren't on much while heating a teardrop cabin. Thermostatically controlled. Vented outside so they don't add moisture inside and use a small amount of 12-volt juice. Much less than a diesel heater.

https://vancafe.com/propex-hs2000-6500-btu-interior-gas-heater/

I won't own a teardrop without one. They really extend our camping season.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:34 pm

They are safe? I am planning another trip without any electric available. Its going to be cold. I dont want us to get gassed. I read about some safety precautions. Leaving windows cracked, monitors, any others?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:32 am

Dahlia47 wrote:They are safe? I am planning another trip without any electric available. Its going to be cold. I dont want us to get gassed. I read about some safety precautions. Leaving windows cracked, monitors, any others?

I've looked into Propex and it's the cost that has slowed me down, but.. I tend not to camp in that kind of weather for more than a day. They claim electric draw at 1.4amp and 6500 Btu's iirc (2000 model that I was looking at). These types (separate vent exhaust and hot air supply) are the better ones out there. Propex has one of the better sizes for heat & electric draw I've found so far.

I like these much more those diesel heaters everyone is promoting! It's just the cost...

I use a small Mr Buddy, but for what your doing..not so much.. We only run ours in the evening and morning to get the chill out.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:36 am

It's just the cost...

I know. I got lucky and picked up an open box Propex from another builder for $400 shipped. I almost bought another one on eBay last month that went for $451 plus $50 shipping from the U.K.

Keep looking...

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:51 pm

Using any unvented propane heater in an enclosed space is not a great idea. Besides oxygen and CO2 worries, you can get a small amount of CO and a lot of water vapor.

Better to invest in good sleeping bags. I have two sleeping bags (one is a cold weather "Mummy" bag) and a polar fleece bag liner. Between the three pieces of kit I'm good from 65F to -15F.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:48 pm

I'd look at one of these if I still had a teardrop. This guy sure did his homework on how they work.

Still happy with the diesel heater in the van though....
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:50 pm

tony.latham wrote: they ... use a small amount of 12-volt juice. Much less than a diesel heater.

My diesel heater on low draws about an average of 2 amps/hr, based on actual use. Low will cook me out of my trailer in 30F temperatures, if I do not have a window open. So, I use about 16 Ah in an 8 hour period.

My understanding is that a Propex HS2000 heater averages about 1.6 amps/hr, based on anecdotal evidence. So, it would use about 12.8 Ah in an 8 hour period.

How do those Propex numbers compare to your actual experience?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:43 pm

My understanding is that a Propex HS2000 heater averages about 1.6 amps/hr, based on anecdotal evidence. So, it would use about 12.8 Ah in an 8-hour period.

It only uses the 1.6 amps while burning. On any given night --for us-- it'll consume about 2-3 amps.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:08 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:
tony.latham wrote: they ... use a small amount of 12-volt juice. Much less than a diesel heater.

My diesel heater on low draws about an average of 2 amps/hr, based on actual use. Low will cook me out of my trailer in 30F temperatures, if I do not have a window open. So, I use about 16 Ah in an 8 hour period.

My understanding is that a Propex HS2000 heater averages about 1.6 amps/hr, based on anecdotal evidence. So, it would use about 12.8 Ah in an 8 hour period.

My hesitation for a diesel heater is output and no duty cycle (well and another fuel to carry). Please correct me if I misunderstand. Diesel heaters are low BTU and meant to run constantly as the propane heaters are higher BTU and duty cycle (if so equipped w/thermostat). I really can't get a good non-biased evaluation of fuel costs between the two, so no idea on which has lower cost.

Since I use a small buddy heater and that same 1lb bottle also services my cooktop, I really can not even tell you how much I use for heat.. I am abut to switch to a smaller 3K BTU heater running off butane (fuel matches up to our single burner cooktop). Switching mainly for connivance of storage, setup and operation.. well and the Buddy heater just over powers us.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:10 am

bdosborn wrote:I'd look at one of these if I still had a teardrop. This guy sure did his homework on how they work.

Still happy with the diesel heater in the van though....
Bruce

Nice posting! I didn't realize the temperature range of operation!! I just bought a stocking stuffer for myself (that I will share with wifey).
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:13 am

I really can't get a good non-biased evaluation of fuel costs between the two, so no idea on which has lower cost.

The Propex burns .3 pounds per hour when they run for an hour. They don't need to run but a few minutes to heat a teardrop.

But... we have an 11-pound propane tank we run the Propex and the Partner stove from and we can go about fifty or more camp nights before needing a refill.

Miserly. :thumbsup:

Tony

p.s. One of the reasons I went with a Propex was to avoid the dual fuel issue.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rbtrary » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:53 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
featherliteCT1 wrote:

My hesitation for a diesel heater is output and no duty cycle (well and another fuel to carry). Please correct me if I misunderstand. Diesel heaters are low BTU and meant to run constantly as the propane heaters are higher BTU and duty cycle (if so equipped w/thermostat). I really can't get a good non-biased evaluation of fuel costs between the two, so no idea on which has lower cost.

Since I use a small buddy heater and that same 1lb bottle also services my cooktop, I really can not even tell you how much I use for heat.. I am abut to switch to a smaller 3K BTU heater running off butane (fuel matches up to our single burner cooktop). Switching mainly for connivance of storage, setup and operation.. well and the Buddy heater just over powers us.

Correction: it's the opposite, diesel fuel has way more heat energy (btu's/gallon) than propane; one reason it's so efficient and economical.
Propane's efficiency decreases the colder it gets so you will consume more propane.
The diesel heater does cycle high/low but the flame never goes out so it maintains a constant even temperature.
The propane cycles on and off.

https://thermalintelligence.com/diesel- ... fuel-cost/
https://www.powerblanket.com/blog/propa ... generator/
rbtrary
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:58 pm

Correction: it's the opposite, diesel fuel has way more heat energy (btu's/gallon) than propane; one reason it's so efficient and economical.

Well, in the middle of Idaho right now, propane is $2.39 and diesel is $4.39.

But since Propex and diesel heaters use such a small amount of fuel, I don't think the economics is much of an issue.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion