Propane Heaters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Propane Heaters

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:22 am

rbtrary wrote:
The diesel heater does cycle high/low but the flame never goes out so it maintains a constant even temperature.

This is news to me. I did not know a diesel heater adjusted while running like a thermostat from high to low. I thought I read it was dial set to high or low and ran at that rate until you adjust it. Interesting.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Onajourney » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:37 am

RJ Howell wrote:
rbtrary wrote:
The diesel heater does cycle high/low but the flame never goes out so it maintains a constant even temperature.

This is news to me. I did not know a diesel heater adjusted while running like a thermostat from high to low. I thought I read it was dial set to high or low and ran at that rate until you adjust it. Interesting.

You are correct RJ. Most, like mine have around 8 speeds low to high. That's it. It takes some adjusting speed, window opening, and ceiling fan speed to get it right based on how cold it is because they put out a lot of heat and I have the smaller 2K size. We love our diesel heater. And I love it was $125. It is a very comfortable and dry heat with 0% condensation. It also hardly uses any fuel. That's my 2 cents.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:28 pm

RJ Howell wrote:This is news to me. I did not know a diesel heater adjusted while running like a thermostat from high to low. I thought I read it was dial set to high or low and ran at that rate until you adjust it. Interesting.

It depends on the controller you get. Some of the cheap Chinese heaters only have high to low settings but some of them have thermostats (Levanor does). My Espar has a thermostat that throttles the heater when it gets to the set temperature. It also will turn it off if it's so warm that there's no need for heat and then start it back up if it gets colder. The van is so large (compared to a teardrop) that mine usually runs all the time when it''s below 32F.

Santa is bringing a mattress warmer for Christmas so we'll see if that's a workable option for us. 27W on low is a manageable load for the van. I like to have backups so that if one piece of equipment fails I have something to use in it's place. I have always wanted an Electrowarmth bunk heater but it seems their quality has slipped and they're being sued for advertising American made on Chinese products.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby TCJ » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:06 pm

tony.latham wrote:
My understanding is that a Propex HS2000 heater averages about 1.6 amps/hr, based on anecdotal evidence. So, it would use about 12.8 Ah in an 8-hour period.

It only uses the 1.6 amps while burning. On any given night --for us-- it'll consume about 2-3 amps.

Tony

My teardrop is probably smaller than Tony's. I have 1" total insulation in the roof and 5/8" in the walls. We always leave the side windows open a tad and the ceiling vent open to promote air circulation. Setting the thermostat at 60 degrees, with two sleeping and providing body heat, the Propex will run about 5 min/hour on a night where temperatures drop to near freezing. It will pop on, run for about a minute and then go off. It puts out 6,500 btu which heats the trailer up in no time. Point is, the Propex is barely ever running, so its amperage and propane consumption are minimal. We absolutely love ours, and it's definitely made camping in the shoulder seasons much more enjoyable.
TCJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:24 pm

We absolutely love ours...

Us too.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion