Propane Tanks

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Propane Tanks

Postby Dahlia47 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:44 pm

I was recently given several 1lb propane tanks. They have been sitting in their garage for more than 15 yrs. Some of them are full. Are they ok to use? I am thinking I need to toss them out.
I see some saying no expiration and some saying 12 yrs??
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Propane Tanks

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:31 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:I was recently given several 1lb propane tanks. They have been sitting in their garage for more than 15 yrs. Some of them are full. Are they ok to use? I am thinking I need to toss them out.
I see some saying no expiration and some saying 12 yrs??

I'd clean off any dust/dirt around the connections and try them out. I'll bet they'll work just fine. I wouldn't throw them out full--that's dangerous to the trash collection folks.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby foxontherun » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:05 pm

The expiration date is typically how the big tanks (ie 20 lb grill bottles) are tagged for re-inspection to be able to continue using them; I've read anywhere 10-12 years. Have never seen an expiration date on my 1# bottles; they are not meant to be refilled according to the label on the cylinders I currently have. That doesn't mean that people don't refill them; they do sell the stuff to refill them from a 20# bottle on Amazon.

Tom is correct on they need to be empty to dispose of.

Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:42 pm

When I have a disposable propane bottle that's close to the end I hook it to my weed burner and let it empty.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to General Discussion