Traveling South On Rte 81 vs 11

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Traveling South On Rte 81 vs 11

Postby Capebuild » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:58 am

We're planning a trip to North Carolina from Massachusetts. I'm looking at taking 81 ( we're heading towards the western potion of the state). I notice there's a side road that seems to run parallel with 81 (being rte 11). I'm wondering if at one time that was the main road, before 81 was built. And I'm wondering if there's a difference between traveling one over the other. I'd rather be on a back country road (hoping to see more of the "sights"). Any input or suggestions from anyone who's traveled this direction would be great.
Thanks!
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Traveling South On Rte 81 vs 11

Postby Ottsville » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:06 am

11 does parallel 81 most of the way down. Speaking for the Virginia stretch, it is a pretty nice ride. You have some fun, funky college towns, small cities, and lots of older towns that were hit hard by the interstate coming through. And then below Radford, some pretty rural areas. I81 through Virginia can be tough, a lot of it is heavy traffic with lots of trucks and grade changes so the trucks speed down the hills and chug up them.

Consider picking up US15 around Harrisburg PA and coming down through Gettysburg. It's a pretty ride through there and into Maryland, then pick up 340 towards Harpers Ferry towards Front Royal VA, then you can either stay on 340 east of Shenandoah or cut west to pick up 81s/11s.

If you want some suggestions on places to stop/see in VA let me know.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby cdnred » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:17 am

I saw that you prefer the backroads more. Here's a link to I-81's background. It states that I-81 is more heavily used as a trucking corridor whereas US-11 is mostly rural in nature. If you're not on a big rush to get down there, I'd say US-11 would offer a more scenic and less stressful road to travel..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_81

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_11
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:35 pm

Having grown up traveling from mid NYS to PA every few weeks to visit family, it started on Rt 11 and then transitioned to I 81. (We actually were at the ribbon cutting at state line with governors Rockefeller and Lawrence.) 60 years later, doing same thing, from further north. Hardly any traffic on most parts of rt 11, and especially nice in northern PA. It's s nice route, but probably 25% slower.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:07 am

Yes, I grew up near Binghamton and US 11 was the main N/S route before I 81. My Dad thought the new road was a great improvement, but we ended up taking NY 12 up to the Adrondacks every year which, like 11, goes through the small towns often as their main street. Be prepared for sometimes unsynchronized traffic lights and narrow and dense streets in town.

Shelly reminds me 81 was in bad shape near Binghamton a year and a half ago. Tear jerking bumps!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:47 am

I have not driven it but looking at the map, 87 would take 13 hours to say Ashville. 11 would be more like 23 hours. I personally don't like traveling on big highways especially with heavy trucking with my trailer. I'd opt for a combination of the two depending on traffic being they are nearly on top of each other. IMO. Where and when are you coming to NC John? I am in central NC and would love to briefly meet and see your rig.

Chris
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:28 pm

Appies to neither routes, but... If you're looking to get off the highway take a look at this:
https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/
This route was setup by folks looking for very unique traveling through a section of country. If you do go to the site you will see they have much more to offer in other regions.

I used it as my guide coming back from Great Smokey Mountains NP. I was on probably 60/70% of it, yet used it as my guide through some very amazing areas that I would not have otherwise seen. Great run if you have the time..

Safe Travels!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:22 pm

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I would rather take the "local" roads even if it adds time to the trip. I find it more relaxing, but mostly I just like going through the smaller towns and exploring.
Chris, we are traveling in April. We'll wind up somewhere in the northwest part of the state. I can message you as the time gets closer.
RJ, thanks for that link. I'll check it.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:24 pm

We have been traveling south to Jekyll Island GA from near Albany NY for many years. We most always pick up I81 at Scranton PA and take it down to I77 where we head east over the mountain. The rest areas are good and we haven't had much problem with traffic. There is a lot of truck traffic. One time after a recommendation by a camping friend we took route 29 down through VA but it may be farther east than you want. Route 29 will take you right by the Waltons TV show museum and creator Earl Hamner's boyhood house. (we didn't stop). Want scenery, you could take the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, we did that one time. We'll also be heading down that route sometime in April, possibly with a side trip to Amish country in Bird In Hand PA.
mary and bob
500 Club

Return to General Discussion