Propane Tank Hookups

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Propane Tank Hookups

Postby cdnred » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:09 pm

I'm planning to take a 20lb propane tank along for use on my camp outings. I was hoping to attach a "Y" splitter to the tank outlet so that I could run 2 appliances from the tank but only using 1 appliance at a time. What concerns me is that when I turn the main tank valve on, it will be supplying propane to both appliances even though only 1 appliance will be turned on. This gives me thought that I should install shut off valves on each line right after the "Y" splitter. With using shut off valves in this manner it would also help decrease the chance of pressure loss..

Have others that have used a "Y" splitter used valves for their installations as well or am I over thinking this issue and best to not bother with installing shut off valves..?

Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Propane Tank Hookups

Postby mary and bob » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:58 pm

I've made a "Y" type splitter with valves, way back when I worked for a fuel oil / propane supply company. Now you can buy a complete splitter with valves, already made. Amazon sells one that has hoses and valves. A google search will bring up options. I would go with a valve on each line.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby cdnred » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:06 pm

mary and bob wrote:I've made a "Y" type splitter with valves, way back when I worked for a fuel oil / propane supply company. Now you can buy a complete splitter with valves, already made. Amazon sells one that has hoses and valves. A google search will bring up options. I would go with a valve on each line.

Thanks for the tip. I've seen many that don't use the shut off valves and go straight to the appliance so I wasn't too sure of the proper method of doing this but I feel this is the best way forward..

Thanks
Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Have others that have used a "Y" splitter used valves for their installations as well or am I over thinking this issue ...

I believe you are overthinking it. Just turn the valve on when you travel.

I had to use two different regulators since my two appliances (Partner stove and Propex heater) need two different pressures.

My home has a propane feeder line that goes to our cook stove, water heater, shop heater, and BBQ. The only one with its own cutoff is the BBQ.

I am curious why a 20 pounder...? That's a lotta weight. Our 11-pounder is good for about 40 nights.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cdnred » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:03 am

tony.latham wrote:
I am curious why a 20 pounder...? That's a lotta weight. Our 11-pounder is good for about 40 nights.

Tony

Good points. Currently I've got 2 propane tanks (20lb) at home, one for the BBQ and the other for my pizza oven. At home I was hoping to share one tank for both the BBQ and pizza oven so that I could use the other propane tank for camping trips. When out camping, I have a propane fire pit and stove that I was planning to use with the other propane tank. The fire pit can consume a fair amount of propane depending on how long I'd run it..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W64SGBK/?c ... _lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGZQHZ5V/?c ... _lig_dp_it

I haven't tried running 2 appliances off one tank before so I wasn't too sure whether isolating valves would be required for use. Looking on Amazon I see they have a "Y" splitter priced at $20. Looking on Amazon again (as suggested by Mary and Bob), I see that they have a "Y" splitter, 2 isolating valves complete with 2 braided hoses for $30. In regards to price and value, I think the $30 deal would be the best to go with..

I'd hate to have too many propane tanks around (aging) that won't be getting full use. If I had only one tank at home, I'd consider going with something smaller for my camping needs. I may be a bit of a skinflint in that regard..

Thanks for the info..
Helmuth
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion