Rain Leakage Problem with Teardrop Trailer A/C

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rain Leakage Problem with Teardrop Trailer A/C

Postby cuthbertdavies » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:16 am

Hello everyone,

We own a teardrop trailer with an air conditioning unit mounted on the back, where a galley would typically be located. Unfortunately, we've encountered issues with rain entering through the A/C unit and getting inside the teardrop. Although we have a small cover for the A/C, it doesn't completely shield all of the vents. Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Thank you in advance!
cuthbertdavies
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rain Leakage Problem with Teardrop Trailer A/C

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:13 am

pictures inside and out would be helpful. The first question that pops into my mind are you parking nose up or nose down? As we all know water runs down hill.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby kd8cgo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:27 am

Like Bob mentioned, pictures would really be helpful. Assuming this is a fairly standard household window air conditioner, water should never enter the inside from the outside, even with all the vents uncovered, even in heavy rain. The bottom of the unit acts as a water pan or tray and they have drain locations, often at the bottom outside corner(s) where the water exits the condenser portion of the unit. Sometimes these drains become plugged, or the unit is not installed as designed - slope slightly towards the rear of the air conditioner so the water flow to the outside, rather than the inside, when it hits the drain pain area at the bottom. The other problem you could have is of course the actual opening that the air conditioner is installed in, if it's not flashed properly to direct water away from the opening.
kd8cgo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby foxontherun » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:49 pm

Again, making the assumption your A/C is a window unit, some of the newer window units do not have drains; they are designed for the water to splash on the fan and go everywhere, ha! Just kidding, sort of; supposedly the fan splatters the water on the condensor coils to make unit more efficient. I live in TN; gets really humid here which means lots of condensate and sometimes it will come thru the vent like a little sprinkler.

My A/C is on the driver side wall so I try to make sure passenger side is a little higher to give the A/C unit some slope to keep water level toward the back of the unit. It is installed in a cabinet (does not stick out of the trailer). If mine starts spitting water out the front I have side door on the A/C compartment to access the side of the A/C and I can siphon off some of the water.

Hope your issue will be a easy fix.
Harry :)
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:48 am

foxontherun wrote:Again, making the assumption your A/C is a window unit, some of the newer window units do not have drains; they are designed for the water to splash on the fan and go everywhere, ha! Just kidding, sort of; supposedly the fan splatters the water on the condensor coils to make unit more efficient. I live in TN; gets really humid here which means lots of condensate and sometimes it will come thru the vent like a little sprinkler....

In my 4x8 trailer, I have an LG model LW5012J window unit mounted in the bulkhead between cabin and galley, with the exhaust ducted to the curbside of the trailer; I can run it with the galley hatch closed and locked at night, in all weather conditions, and there's never a leak.

When I was building the trailer, I always intended that I'd be able to operate the A/C with the hatch closed, so I went to great lengths to do so, starting with buying a trusted brand of A/C unit, that I knew from prior experience wouldn't leak all over the place (unlike the Frigidaire window A/C units, 15100 and10000 btu units alike, that we had, which produced so much condensate that they dripped water like a waterfall in the rear, and sometimes might spray some forward into the room). But, we also had an 8000 btu LG unit, in my wife's home office, that hardly ever had enough excess condensate to drip from the drain pan in the rear, and never any spray into the room, so I opted to get a LG 5000 btu unit for my small trailer.

I looked around all nearby big box stores for a LG LW5012 unit, but only located one 40 miles away at a Home Depot, so I drove there to get it. Once there, I discovered that the one remaining in stock was a LW5012"J", with a couple of differences. It did not have a drain plug outlet for the condensate, so I made a catch-all drain pan to sit under it in my galley (with a drain hose to the underside of the trailer), so if the unit's condensate overflowed, it would drain harmlessly outside. And, since the exhaust ducting I made might admit rain, it was sloped downward into the A/C's drain pan (thus also into the catch-all pan), so zero water would get into the galley.

Long story short, in 13 years of operation, the LG unit has never dripped any water into the catch-all, as it seems to evaporate it in self-cooling (maybe that's why no drain plug was installed, unlike in the older model). And, it seems the heat of the exhaust also takes care of any rain that enters the ducting, too, as I've never seen any water from that source either.

I also take another precaution to prevent A/C leakage: I always make sure that the trailer is parked where the front is slightly raised compared to the rear, promoting proper A/C drainage (if any).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion