Critters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Critters

Postby Dahlia47 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:40 pm

I would like to park my TT in a more accessable spot. The problem is keeping the critters out and away from it. My main concern is cats. As I get alerts from the video system I see cats. Lots of them. I am afraid of them spraying all over it!! That smell will be hard to get out. Any advice on how to keep them all away?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Critters

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:13 pm

Cats?

I think you're camping in the wrong woods. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:08 am

Dahlia47 wrote:I would like to park my TT in a more accessable spot. The problem is keeping the critters out and away from it. My main concern is cats. As I get alerts from the video system I see cats. Lots of them. I am afraid of them spraying all over it!! That smell will be hard to get out. Any advice on how to keep them all away?

tony.latham wrote:Cats? ...I think you're camping in the wrong woods. :frightened: Tony

Dahlia47 Are you talking about cats present when parking your trailer at home? or, as Tony asserts, seeing cats at campsites?

I've never seen a cat around a campsite, but I have a core group of 7 feral cats that are always on my property (occasionally rises to 15 in very-cold weather). I feed them twice a day (same for our 4 house cats that we brought in as dying kittens, and saved them; our 3 dogs get along with all of them, and with our 4 pampered hens). Of the 7 live-in ferals (semi-feral, as they have no fear of us) we've trapped and spayed 6 (with a docked ear to signify such to others, if they go to another area), and 1 is a super-shy male that only comes near to eat, after the others have scattered. With all the females already spayed, coupled with his shyness, he's not likely to breed. There are also 3 other spayed & ear-docked cats that come around at least once a week, from houses near us, just to feed.

The other 5 are cats we'd already spayed, are still semi-friendly to us, but have moved on to other territories (bu come back for food when they're really hungry). Ever since I started feeding, spaying, and medicating the ferals, there have been zero snakes in our yard or out-buildings (I used to kill about 4 Cottonmouths and Copperheads a year, finding them when I'd let the dogs out to pee at night, in our semi-rural yard), and whenever they find a mouse, rat (a nearby neighbor has a yard full of farm animals, whose feed attracts the rats), or a mole, they bring them onto our back concrete porch (where I feed them) to show them to us, then take them away. I started caring for the ferals (wife saves the ill ones) back in 2017, and haven't had a critter problem since. We got the 4 chickens in 2019, and I guess they've helped, as well.

P.S. none of the ferals have ever sprayed outside, nor the cats we saved and brought inside have either. Sure glad of that!

Concerning critters at campsites, squirrels have a reputation for raiding my camping group's galleys. I store little food in mine, but I had one squirrel raid my galley (and my cooking set-up under the canopy adjacent), and it made a mess. So, after I returned home, I made a "No Trespassing :Critters Keep Out" sign for the underside of the raised hatch. Squirrels must've read the warning, and have left my stuff alone ever since.
signage on hatch underside warns critters away now.jpg
signage on hatch underside warns critters away now.jpg (234.22 KiB) Viewed 635 times
signage on my trailer - Copy.JPG
signage on my trailer - Copy.JPG (150.51 KiB) Viewed 635 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:10 pm

Recently I bought something called Rodent Repellent for under the hood of my 55 Chevy.
It can be wired in the vehicle's 12 volt system or on AA batteries.
It's supposed to keep pests like mice, cats, Martens and squirrels away with changing ultrasound and bright flashes to keep pests away from vehicles and property.
I can't say if it is working or not but so far nothing has nested on the chrome air filter.
:D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:54 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Recently I bought something called Rodent Repellent for under the hood of my 55 Chevy.
It's supposed to keep pests like mice, cats, Martens and squirrels away with changing ultrasound and bright flashes to keep pests away from vehicles and property.
I can't say if it is working or not but so far nothing has nested on the chrome air filter.
:D Danny

We've seemed to have good luck with flashing LEDs. The Victor ultrasound systems, not so much, but it sounds like you've got something more sophisticated that may well work better. To tell the truth, I'm not even sure the Victor ultrasound worked, sometimes I could hear humming, and sometimes not, and what it did at ultrasound, I couldn't say. But it did say it was safe around pets, and it didn't seem to bother our cat, so as to the immediate problem...?

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:15 pm

LOL That gave me a very much needed giggle!!!

It is at home. When we parked it in the new spot, I saw cats, opposums, racoons, skunk. So I moved it back to the old spot. I am more worried about the cats. They are a mixture of strays and cats with homes. There is one cat that comes around here and there. I would like to keep him. But I am afraid of them spraying it. I am thinking the above mention of the led's might work. Ill try it out.

It's awesome that you all have taken care of the ferals. I work in a clininc and see so many that have been taken in. Even if they stay outside. The fact they get the care they need is so awesome!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby Westy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:58 am

I would suggest that you kill every single one of them.
In Australia, feral cats are a major problem for native fauna with the following estimation by some experts.
On average, cats kill 2.92 million mammals, 1.67 million reptiles, 1.09 million birds, 0.26 million frogs and 2.97 million invertebrates every 24 hours.
It is just not sustainable.
Domestic cats are one night outside the family home from becoming feral and adding to the problem.
I hate them.
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:54 am

No matter how much you hate them...they are needed. They keep the numbers of all the critters you just mentioned in check. It keeps diseases down. Also keeps zoonotic diseases down as well. If these populations were to explode, so would disease. It is a balance.
And they best way to keep the cat population from exploding and causing problems. Especially if they don't have a predator. SPAY NEUTER RELEASE.
I dont know if they were introduced to Australia, but they were introduced here in US.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:49 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Recently I bought something called Rodent Repellent for under the hood of my 55 Chevy.
I can't say if it is working or not but so far nothing has nested on the chrome air filter. ...

Tom&Shelly wrote:We've seemed to have good luck with flashing LEDs. The Victor ultrasound systems, not so much, but it sounds like you've got something more sophisticated that may well work better. To tell the truth, I'm not even sure the Victor ultrasound worked, sometimes I could hear humming, and sometimes not, and what it did at ultrasound, I couldn't say. But it did say it was safe around pets, and it didn't seem to bother our cat, so as to the immediate problem...?

Danny- I recently bought a product called, coincidently, "Rodent Repellant", too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8Z1D9PL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details It's mostly peppermint oil, which my wife likes, to replace the mothballs, Bounce dryer sheets, and Irish Spring soap bars that I've always used to protect our cars from rodent damage. I parked my old '66 Chevelle drag race car in our sometimes rat/mouse/scorpion/snake-infested garage, untouched/unmoved for 13.5 years, using the mothballs, dryer sheets, and Irish Spring components scattered profusely inside the car (replacing them periodically as their efficacy declined with time), and when I finally swapped it for another vehicle ('01 BMW X5) in '21, there was no trace of rodent damage, inside or out, so that method really worked for me. The garage isn't so much-infested after our semi-feral cats started patrolling our property, these days (rat & snakes have mostly moved on). I also use rat bait pellets from Tractor Supply scattered around on the 3-bay garage floor, to kill those rodents that make it into the garage...I just have to be diligent to keep the semi-feral/semi-pet cats out, so they don't eat either the pellets or the dead rats.

The first thing I did when I got my X5, parked outside the garage, was to put mothballs underhood, and Irish Spring soap bars in the trunk storage area (there are two side-panels that have been known to be penetrable by rodents), and did the same with my wife's '14 Lexus ES 350, parked in the garage, of course (using only the dryer sheets and soap bars, because she hates mothballs...which I love, as the smell of them brings a subconscious pleasant memory of my Grandma's house, in the '50-60's). My 4x8 trailer, also stored in the garage, is sealed so tight (with an exterior shell of 3/4" plywood), is so damn-near impervious to insect/rat/snake intrusion, that I've only put the long-lasting soap bars inside (and rat bait pellets underneath). Our other stored-outside vehicles all get the same protection, with never a trace of rodents (except for once, when I forgot to renew the mothballs underhood of my '09 HHR Panel, and found chewed acorns there). The 24-pack of peppermint balls (in cloth bags) should do the trick for me. I also have mothballs for my X5 and '04 Chevy 2500HD, becuse she never rides in them much, and I like mothballs!

I have tried letting our housecats smell mothballs and dryer sheets and soap bars, and found that they don't really fear them, and probaly would get the same result testing the outside cats (especially if they were hunting nearby, I'd guess, since they're so focused on their prey), and even had one of them start chewing on an Irish Spring bar, when he was a kitten. These smelly repellants I've used for rodents are not so much a cat-deterrent, but by repelling the rodents they hunt, perhaps the cats would go elsewhere, away from where you've parked your trailer.

Tom- Never tried flashing LED's (my X5 has one under the rear-view mirror...maybe it'll help repel critters, of all kinds), but I've tried ultrasonic repellers, made by Victor and others. We had a problem with water pooling very near our house, about10 feet away, in a swampy part of a neighbors yard that had partially spread onto our property, which attracted all sorts of insects (mainly waterbugs), rats, amphibians, and snakes over a 15-year period. We used all sorts of poison bait traps and ultrasonic repellant units in the area of the house nearest the "swamp" to combat the waterbug invasion. That room was also where we had the "cat cave", where my wife's 10-12 housecats had their litter boxes (after all had passed on, we were never getting cats again, but now 15 years later, we have 4 inside, and a core group of 8 spayed semi-ferals outside...at least those are doing a service for me, keeping critters away). The ultrasonic units never deterred anything as far as I could tell, not bugs nor cats, but I could tell they were working, in my pre-Tinnitus days. I can recommend ultasonic units to scare away cats, just my opinion.
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TimC » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:23 pm

I've been using a product call "Fresh Cab". It seems to work at repelling and has a pleasant odor. It's not real cheap but...

I found that it mostly contains balsam fir oil and wood chips. Probably some other ingredients as well. This winter, rather than buying more I cut some B. Fir boughs and put them under my teardrop around the tires and on the floor in the garage under the engine of each vehicle. So far no acorns or other bird seeds stashed in my engine compartments as in other years. Might be because it works or because of our weird winter weather they haven't taken up residence in my parking spots.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:44 pm

In the past I have found Pine Sol pored on the ground works. Also it is a bit expensive but Predatorpee Original Mountain Lion Urine works to keep most Critters out but it is expensive.

Years Back , Esteban (Steve Boyer) did a Teardrop gathering at Montana De Oro by Los Osos, CA at that site we had so many Raccoons, there were about 7 per trailer and we had over 10 trailers. So we pored Pine Sol abound the trailers and they backed off.

A man and his wife were going to present how to cook with cast Iron. They left a small opening in the window and the coons got in and stole all the Buffalo meat they had brought to cook.

Dam Critters.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:57 pm

TimC wrote:I've been using a product call "Fresh Cab". It seems to work at repelling and has a pleasant odor. It's not real cheap but...

We put some of that in our engine compartments. Some rodents found it delicious! :picnic:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:49 am

Having cats around wouldn't bother me in the least. I know that where two or more cats are present, mice and rats and the like are conspicuously absent. I have never once experienced a cat spraying any possessions of mine in an effort to mark territory but I have had innumerable things ruined over the years by rodents. I absolutely prefer having feral cats around.
:thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:52 pm

rjgimp wrote:Having cats around wouldn't bother me in the least. I know that where two or more cats are present, mice and rats and the like are conspicuously absent. I have never once experienced a cat spraying any possessions of mine in an effort to mark territory but I have had innumerable things ruined over the years by rodents. I absolutely prefer having feral cats around.
:thumbsup:

I like the way my colony of semi-feral cats have kept "most" of the rodents away, and I haven't seen any evidence of snakes in the last 6 years (I used to have to patrol the yard before letting the dogs out, and usually killed 3-4 venomous snakes a year, while doing so).

However, I occasionally get a whiff of spraying, when an outside cat (not of my cat colony) joins in for breakfast. Funny thing, there have been 4 outsiders join the colony, and they had all been spayed/neutered by someone else, previously (left ears get cropped by the vet).

I did have one cat, about 30 years ago (long before I started collecting ferals 6 years ago), get into the rear sliding window of my '86 Chevy S-10 extended cab pickup, and sprayed the rear compartment...I've never left a window down or a door open on any of our vehicles or trailers, ever since. I used everything I could throw at it to cover/eliminate the smell (baking soda, industrial odor eliminators from work, Glade spray, etc,), seemingly to no avail.

Since it was my daily driver (with no backup at the time, alas), I took a hint from "Silence of the Lambs", and used Vick's Vapo-Rub on my mustache so I could bear the 2+ hour each way, drive to & from work. I changed clothes at work, so I'd not carry the smell with me to meetings! The smell finally faded away after 2-3 months.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:45 pm

I've never left a window down or a door open on any of our vehicles or trailers, ever since

I have noticed a few feral cats hanging out around my place. I had no idea they sprayed a lot. Based on your account, I will keep my garage and vehicles closed up as much as possible. :frightened:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion