Coleman Hot Water on Demand--but not

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby gailkaitschuck » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:31 am

Check out www.zodi.com/combo.html

Combo products for hot water, stove, heat, etc..

Kinda neat but no thongs included.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Careful!

Postby kirtsjc » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:01 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Wearing a thong? :o
Uh... That's Guy's department. :lol:

Based in Guy's writing style, and his avatar, and what of his history he has shared with us.....

BE CAREFUL! :shock:

He probably DOES wear custom-made teardrop printed thongs for men...

And I have the gut feeling that Guy could also make the rest of us guys WANT to wear teardrop thongs....

BE CAREFUL what you wish for....

:roll:
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:29 am

Here's where I'm having a tough time between the Zodi and the Oster Coleman:

Even putting the heating option aside aside, the Oster is a lot cheaper, but the Zodi seems to pack more punch--hotter. But it seems that you can't control the temperature on the Zodi, and the Coleman looks nicer/easier/cleaner to build into the galley.

Can anyone glean from these product specs if the flow is any different between them, or any other glaring differences that markedly separate the two?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby gailkaitschuck » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:50 am

Someone at www.amazon.com wrote that they've had both the Zodi and the Coleman and prefer the Coleman; easier to use for things like dishwashing.

The Zodi hot showers "on sale" at ebay have been demonstrator models so they have been used. Still, they are less than half the cost of the Coleman and "new" Zodi showers.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby gailkaitschuck » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 pm

More food for thought...

Went ahead and purchased one of the "refurbished" Zodi units on ebay. When you go to pay, you are given the option of purchasing a new unit (still in the box) for $9.95 more. With shipping, this unit costs around $87.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

zodi warning

Postby luluyug » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:45 pm

i have been using the zodi heating system for 3 years it puts a lot off hot air but it is very sensible to wind over 5 mph. the fan runs on 12v and takes 2.4 amps. i have not tried the hot water system yet but as soun as i get one i will report. bye
luluyug
Teardrop Advisor

Taking the bait

Postby Guy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:03 am

No, I am not going to repost the thong photo. BG made that disappear when we went to the new photo album system. Those here long enough remember it was a hairy experience, but someone had to get Steve Frederick to post Lil Diner updates. Please hold your standing ovation for my sacrifice for the group. It, also, was easier to post something like that when we only had 500 members and not the 2500 we have now.

The Zodi vs. Coleman Comparison

(Remember we are DIYers and many of us could rewire and replumb either of these two devices to achieve the advantages of each, or limit the disadvantages. However, I will still list the disadvantages)

The Zodi disadvantages:

1. Batteries are "D" cell and must be replaced.
2. The Temp only goes up to 100 degrees F.
3. The unit gets VERY HOT and is difficult to carry after using.
4. The Zodi is only for Showering , and not for HOT Instant Beverages or preheating pasta water for Gail.
5. The Zodi must be lit with a match or lighter.

The Zodi Advantage :
1. The pump puts out 1.25 gallons per minute and not 3/4 gallon per minute (Some may say this is a disadvantage since on neither unit can nor should you vary the flow of water)

The Coleman or Oster is safer to carry, has an electric or Piezo lighter, and the temperature can go up to 160 degrees F.
The batteries are rechargeable and the same knob that turns on the pump also lights the burner and chooses the temp at the same time. As a superb safety feature on the Coleman you cannot get the Hottest water without continuing to hold the knob while the 160 degree water is flowing.

Last year I spent time helping Dave Nathanson with His shower heater which has the same problem as the Zodi and Coleman - that you cannot control the water flow and conserve water. You cannot merely bend the hose because both machines will keep heating the water trapped above the burners and when you allow it to flow free again you will burn yourself. What we worked on is a system that allows you to slow the output of the shower head while returning the unused flow back to the water tank to be reheated.

BTW, Zodi used to make a three in one combination, with seperate Shower attachments, tent heater attachment, and hot water (real Hot) attachment, that you had to put on top of a single burner and pump unit depending on your need at that time of day.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BobR » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:58 am

I use a Zodi two burner, mounted on the tongue box. Inside the box is the is shur-flo demand pressure pump, and plumbing. The pump is powered off the teardrop battery. I put a 7 gallon blue water jug on the ground as the water source. I light it up and recirculate the water for about 5 minutes or until it is the right temp for my shower. I then switch the valve to the discahrge hose which has a standard sink hose sprayer which serves as the shower head. The system works great, I don't have to worry about scalding myself and I can get three refreshing showers out of the 7 gallons.

Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion