First Camping trip - 2004

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

First Camping trip - 2004

Postby Creek » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:53 am

New to the board. I thought I would post a photo of my first camping trip for the year. This is a lake not far from my residence in Arkansas.

Camp-Inn 400 #19
http://stevecreek.com/
Creek
Teardrop Inspector

Postby beverlyt » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:11 am

The area looks beautiful. So what did you think of your first camping experience? Any tips to share while camping in a teardrop?
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Re: First Camping trip - 2004

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:18 am

That is quite a pretty scene you've got there. Did you actually camp where that picture was taken? And what kind of temps did you see overnight?

Mike...

Creek wrote:New to the board. I thought I would post a photo of my first camping trip for the year. This is a lake not far from my residence in Arkansas.

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Creek » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:15 am

I got my teardrop last year and this was my third trip out with it. It has been great. The only thing I wish I would have done different would be to get air for it. Last Summer it got so hot that it was hard to camp in the teardrop. (Upper 90's) The temp this past weekend was in the low 80's. The best thing I like about the teardrop is being able to get into remote areas. The above location would have been very difficult for most travel trailers because of the road going into the area.
Camp-Inn 400 #19
Creek
Teardrop Inspector

Postby beverlyt » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:31 am

Do you have two doors/windows? How about a roof vent?
I've bought a Coleman tent fan and plan on perhaps buying another. They are neat little critters that take a D battery and adhere with a strong magnet. I've also got a 12v fan that we plan on using. Being as use to air conditioning as I am... I'm hoping that most of the time the nights will be cool enough to sleep comfortably.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:03 am

Creek,

Nice tear you have there. and a great looking place to camp.

Even with Air A/C you would have to have 110. Add one of those 12 volt fans. This might help.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:50 am

If you're going to add a 12v fan like a ceiling vent, make it a "Fantastic Vent" It moves much more air than the regular run of the mill vents. I tried. I know!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:44 pm

I still intend to get one of those thermo-electric coolers and pull the guts out of it and stick it inside my tear to see if it keeps it at least around 78º inside during the day..of course, i'll need a solar panel to shade the tear and provide electricity to keep it running..anyone got a thermo-electric they'd like to donate to science.. :D
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:31 pm

I think backwoodssolar has a panel they'd be willing to donate. They also have a charge controller they'd be willing to donate. Of course, in return, they'll ask you to contribute to their fund... probably somewhere in the range of $339.

I'd sure like to get a report back on how that thermo-electric idea works. I think it's been hashed out before, but I don't remember the outcome.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:00 pm

Exactly how warm does it get in these little trailers? If you park in some shade and IF your trailer is also insulated..... doesn't it stay somewhat cooler than the outside?
And...since the inside is such a small space...couldn't you put some ice in a small cooler, prop the lid open a little and get some cool air off a 12v fan?
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:06 pm

Bev, I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in coastal Georgia, it's not unusual to have 99 degree days with no wind and 98% humidity..and remember, it's not the heat, it's the humidity that makes you miserable..and your ice and fan idea is sorta like a swamp cooler, which don't work worth a hill of beans when it's humid..so, even with shade and fans, it's gonna get hot inside a tear even if you left the doors closed all day.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Creek » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:41 am

I agree with Jiminsav. Arkansas temps last summer reached 100 a few times. The humidity is what gets you here. I did get a small fan which did help. I park in the shade and my tear is insulated. The problem is at night when no breeze is blowing which makes it hard to sleep. Do not get me wrong I still enjoy the tear. I just need to work on cooling it during the 100 degree temps.

I do wish I would have added the Fantastic Vent and I think this would have been good enough for me. This is something I need to get added at a later date.
Camp-Inn 400 #19
Creek
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joseph » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:32 am

Creek wrote:I do wish I would have added the Fantastic Vent and I think this would have been good enough for me. This is something I need to get added at a later date.

Hey Creek,

I've spent enough sweaty nights in a tent that I never even considered building mine without one. It shouldn't be that hard to add. The problem I have with mine is that it's much thicker than my roof - see my page, picture #39. It's not that big a deal - you can either shore it up on the outside or on the inside, I'm opting for inside.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:43 am

Joseph,

What do you mean your fantastic vent is much thicker than your roof? Didn't you use 1x2's or 2x2's for your joists? If so, then when you drop your vent into the 14" square hole and put the trim plate on the other side, it should look perfect. What needs shoring up?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Joseph » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:23 am

mikeschn wrote:Didn't you use 1x2's or 2x2's for your joists?

I used 1x2s but I used them horizontally, so my roof is only about an inch thick. I'm using the 1939 Honeymoon House Trailer plans and that's how he did it. No biggie - I need something of a frame to cover the opening I have for the wires anyway.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Next

Return to General Discussion