The trailer is in...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:14 pm

Frank wrote: for the hands on how to area :lol:

Hey! how about a gathering in Lake Orion Michigan? I here there's a place to hang out, drink coffee, and mock up teardrops! :twisted: A weekend trip could yield a wealth of information! :wink:
Last edited by Steve Frederick on Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:15 pm

:sign5:

The cost of admission is 1 sheet of OSB.

The morning session we'll be mocking up the Weekender.

In the afternoon we'll be mocking up the Winter Warrior.

In the evening we'll be mocking up Mudslides and campfires... doesn't that sound like a good day!!!

:lol:

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:22 pm

Can anyone tell me what osb is? And tpo for that matter..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:23 pm

Mike,

C 8) 8) L

W H E E L S !

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:27 pm

arnereil wrote:Can anyone tell me what osb is? And tpo for that matter..

OSB... yea, we build mockups out of that stuff!!!

TPO... that's the white stuff Chip put on his teardrop... Chip, what is that? Thermoplastic Olefin?

Mike...

P.S. OSB is Orientated Strand Board
http://sres.anu.edu.au/associated/fpt/osb/2.html
Last edited by mikeschn on Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:31 pm

Yes to the garage type, :D Really miss that place! :cry: Having trouble getting the new one built.
Happen to know there is a place real close to your house that sells OSB! When you going to be ready for the party? Steve's ready and I need to come so as to get a tear built :twisted:
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chip » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:01 pm

TPO????yup thermoplastic olifine,,or something like that,,for some reason roofing materials all go by the initials of the compounds,,TPO, EPDM, PVC, CSPE, CPE, ABC,XYZ,,M I C K E Y M O U S E,,,Its a white, gray or tan single ply roofing material,,comes in large rolls, is reinforced with a polyester scrim, seams or joints are put together with a hot air welding machine,,its pretty tough stuff and is UV resistant,,,,and I used it cause I had connections ,,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CheshyreKatt » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:08 pm

mikeschn wrote:but I can tell you I went out there with a scale and it says 65 pounds. :D Mike...

Excellent!
-CK

Truth is not what you seek....it is what you find. What you find...is not what you were looking for.
CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DANL » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:39 pm

Yeah Mike, After the first camping trip I determined that the trailer was riding too light on the tongue and the single piece aluminum tongue was just a bit too whippy. The Tacoma Prerunner rides on some big, squishy tires, and imparts a lot of sway and bounce to the hitch point.

I took the pod off and took the trailer in to Crystal Welding. I had them move the torsion axle and fender mounts back ten inches, raise the tongue by three inches, and add diagonal bracing to the tongue. Amazing--this aluminum trailer now weighs in at 320 pounds--a bit heavy in my mind but as solid as a rock. I could probably carry about four thousand pounds on it now without much flex. The axle would probably crack but that's not a frame issue.

So anyway--I put the pod back on and took it out for a test loop. Rides like the proverbial brick outhouse. Very stable, no more sway or wag, great clearance and steep angle of attack at driveways. I'll be working up through higher speeds until I feel comfortable at 85 MPH. That's about as fast as I will ever need to tow here in the north country. Most drivers here are still able to cope with the idea of a car and trailer going at only 65, the legal towing limit here in Minnesota (that makes three of us who know that now).

I'm going to check into those wheels you have. Verrry Niiice! Are you running radials or trailer spec tires?
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:02 am

DANL wrote:I'm going to check into those wheels you have. Verrry Niiice! Are you running radials or trailer spec tires?

Don't ever let anyone tell you that aluminum is lighter than steel. :lol:

Oh those are affordable car spec tires. $40 each, including mounting and balancing.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:30 pm

Here's an update on the tongue weight...

If you recall, the trailer alone had a tongue weight of 65#. When I added the body, it jumped to 74#.

So today I installed the a/c behind the axle, and weighed it... I shook my head, and said that has to be wrong. So I weighed it again. Exactly the same. The tongue weight is now 67#. :shock: :o

I guess I'm on track for a lighter tongue, eh??? :lol: :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby OurStuff4You » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:30 pm

Hey - count me in on that party. I don't know nuttin' about building ... but I make a great mixed drink! :shock:

Did you go to Dream Cruise Mike? We had an awesome time, as usual. There were 2 tears being pulled. I tried to get pics but there were always other cars in the way. Cool tho.
OurStuff4You
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:47 am

Nope, didn't make it to dream cruise. We were out of town.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:16 am

mikeschn wrote:I installed the a/c behind the axle

Got Pic?

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:23 am

Sure, I put the photos in this thread... page 4 already scrolled off the screen... http://tnttt.com/viewto ... c&start=45

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion