To CB, or not to CB

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

You can't do that-but can probably get away with it!

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Currently the law sez you can't use cb radio to talk to anyone further than 155.3 miles away from you! However he chances of getting caught and the fcc doining anything about it if you are caught is prelly minimal. You can do a lot lot more with ham radio and getting a "ticket" is easier than ever!

Cheers,

Gus/AB6KS
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Snide61 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:57 am

I've got a small Cobra 40 channel unit I've been thinking about putting in my truck for the fun of it. But I don't know what kind of antenna (antennae) to buy. My truck has a flatbed w/ headache rack so I was thinking of getting a dual antennae setup to mount on both sides of the rack, but I don't know what to look for or how to set it up properly. Alternatively a big bull whip would add to the persona of my ole beater. Any advice?
Snide61
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:31 am

snide, first you have to consider what antennae do...a single antennae will send a signal equally in all directions, a double setup will extend the range front and back but reduce it side to side...if you want maximum range in a general way, a single bull whip antennae is your best bet but they can cause problems with height clearance and banging around against the truck...all antennae have to be tuned for maximum range(adjusting the SWR's) and while your better CB's will allow you to do this within the radio, you will have to go to a CB shop to get them tuned, if you have a smaller/cheaper unit(or get an SWR meter)...they will work without tuning, just not reach as far...stop in at a large truck stop and see all that is available...they may also have a CB shop on site or there may be one nearby...over the years, I have found the really cheap, non-tunable antennaes work just as good(or even better) than the really expensive ones...I also like one that is flexible as opposed to one that is rigid for longevity.......
madjack 8)

p.s. the shorter antennaes will mount to the headache rack...a bull whip is best mounted on a bumper......MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cuyeda » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:56 am

A fuzzy picture of my radio station back in the day. I organized one of the largest groups in the California areas, the Xray Club Transworld Sidebanders, on LSB. Established many controllers in various states, Australlia, and the Pacific Rim for the club. Breaks included campouts, picnics etc... Running skip to Japan was a highlight on 11 meters.

A quick story. An Austrailian friend came to visit me in California. We met for the first time, and we talked back to his friends like they were around the corner to Australia.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Re: To CB, or not to CB

Postby cuyeda » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:31 am

Rob wrote:I recently was given an old CB radio. I normally carry a cell phone. Do any of you carry a CB radio when on the road? I have only used one once - to call for a ride to a gas station. And that was in 1980! If I decide to carry it, what channel(s) should I tune to? It has 40 channels. I seem to remember channel 9 is/was an emergency channel. Is it still that way? Thx

To answer your question along with everyone's answer in between, look into getting a ham radio license. It is easier than everyone thinks. One of the advantages are that amateur radio operators are helpful by nature. If you are in need of emergency help, amateur radio operators are mostly trained to run such traffic to get help to you quickly. Unless you get an actual REACT person on CB, it will be questionable if you get the proper emergency responses. Not to say people on CB won't, or don't know how to help. A majority of ham operators are prepared and ready to help. There is a recent bill being introduced to get amateur radio operators involved with homeland security in various ways. The extra eyes and ears.

Read more about the bill here:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/04/30/10792/?nc=1
Updated Oct. 6.
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/10/07/11127/

Can anyone guess who this celebrity sitting in the chair is? He is a well known musician and amateur radio operator.

Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:08 am

Ok, I guess no one recognized this guy. His name is Joe Walsh of the Eagles. Hotel California.. Yeah...
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Yep ! WB6ACU is Joe's Extra class callsign.

Good picture Cliff ! 8)

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:29 pm

I just wanted to add that there were no intentions of hijacking this thread. I just wanted to associate real people to the hobby. The question asked, to CB or not to CB... and hopefully the conclusion would be to try ham radio.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm with you on that Cliff.

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tipnring » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:02 pm

I use 2 meter FM on simplex when traveling with fellow ham radio operators, when traveling with non-hams I use FRS radios, much less noise and chatter than CB.

Point is some form of communications is necessary. If a CB is all you have, go for it...
the older I get, the better I used to be...
tipnring
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ED H. » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:02 pm

I bought a 40 channel Cobra CB, with 7 weather channels. I don't plan to use it a lot, so I kept it simple- 12 volt car plug for the power, and a simple "Rubber Ducky" antenna, directly to the back of the radio. The radio sits on a shelf (not bolted down). The idea is to use the radio for "morning" weather reports, so I will know what the day's driving will likely bring. Listening to CB "chatter" can be fun sometimes, and there is always the slim chance that I might someday have to call for help. (It will give you something to do, while you're freaking out, as we used to say about some of our high-risk sports!)
ED H.
Teardrop Builder

Postby cuyeda » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Just an added note about the directions of amateur radio, just in case some people reading this thread may be interested in becoming involved with the hobby. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with using a CB if you have it, but these recent turn of events, may entice people into the hobby.

My point, there are more people on ham radios that are willing, and most probable, better prepared to handle emergency calls when in need.

Read more here: http://radioresourcemag.com/newsArticle.cfm?news_id=4873

Oh and by the way, there are ways to modify a ham radio to access the CB frequencies, but that is a different topic.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Maybe it's just around here...

Postby bearfromobx » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:14 pm

... but too many of the locals and truckers are running linear amplifiers and running over everyone else on the air for hundreds of miles around. A standard CB is limited to 5 watts output and trying to share a chanel with a jerk using a 100 watt linear is an exercise in futility, especially since he can't hear when you're talking, but he can overpower you with a click of his microphone key switch. I just gave up and put my mobile in a yard sale.
Just an overeducated Redneck with a love of learnin' ...
bearfromobx
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:06 am

cuyeda wrote:I just wanted to add that there were no intentions of hijacking this thread. I just wanted to associate real people to the hobby. The question asked, to CB or not to CB... and hopefully the conclusion would be to try ham radio.

Just how does Ham radio help me find out why the traffic ahead has stopped, or where's the next rest stop located?

Ham radio is useless when trying to find out information going down the road.

ever try to look up a repeater while going down the road?
does it have normal offset or do you need a tone

as for 144.20 or 146.52 you can CQ all you want and 99% of the time no one will answer because no one monitors those frequencies. I don't do you?

I have a CB radio in my truck with a mag-mount antenna I also have a Ken wood 144/440 FM dual band TM-721A with a diamond dual band antenna.

now if I want to talk to someone in my local Ham radio club great but for trips I use CB.

"Oh and by the way, there are ways to modify a ham radio to access the CB frequencies, but that is a different topic."
on my Yaesu HF rig if you open it up it has a switch that allows out of band tx and rx which is great for using on the sailboat or talking 500 watts on the CB with amp.

edit I just read my own post I come off conformational sorry not my intent
I love my ham radios yes I said radios if you don't have at least three what's the use. again sorry if I came off conformational. Pete

KB8EMD
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cuyeda » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:34 am

Yep, that's what I use the delete button for. ;-)

As a user of both types or radios, you may be confusing the readers of this topic. Sure... I would like to think there is good in every single person who may answer a call for help on any radio. IMHO the percentage of helpful people that will answer a call to action is less on CB. Forget the national calling channels, I am talking about anyone who will hear a distress call.

Ham radio operators by nature are more mentally prepared to assist another in need. Isn't it what MOST amateur radio operators train for? Have you not participated in some kind of field day, or similar emergency preparedness exercise?

Technology has changed! If you want road conditions, delay times, rest stop locations, gas stations. You can buy a cheap GPS device for $129.00 and not worry if the person on the CB (IF they answer) will give you honest answers, or send you prank information, or just plain put the hammer down on you.

Radio communications is meant for enjoyment, not to depend your life on. Certainly if no cell phone signals were available, a ham radio could be the next thing you reach for. Certainly if a person answers you on a ham radio, most likely you will get some kind of assistance. I am not saying CB folks will not provide good help, it's just the percentage of true action will be with ham operators.

Come on now... your comment about programming a radio while driving down the road is bogust. You know you are suppose to pull over to the side of the road to do those things. That's if you didin't use the ARRL repeater CD guide to download to your radio, mapping out your planned route ahead of time. Yes, there is such capabilities! Point and click on a map, pull up every listed repeater, choose major cities, or everything in between and upload to your radio. Since you are an amateur radio operator you knew that already. ;-) Sorry, just looked you haven't bought new equipment since you have your trusty TM-721. Time for an update, or at least browse the new technology available.

"Pete" must be an alias, it's not what you use for your call sign.

pete42 wrote:
cuyeda wrote:I just wanted to add that there were no intentions of hijacking this thread. I just wanted to associate real people to the hobby. The question asked, to CB or not to CB... and hopefully the conclusion would be to try ham radio.

Just how does Ham radio help me find out why the traffic ahead has stopped, or where's the next rest stop located?

Ham radio is useless when trying to find out information going down the road.

ever try to look up a repeater while going down the road?
does it have normal offset or do you need a tone

as for 144.20 or 146.52 you can CQ all you want and 99% of the time no one will answer because no one monitors those frequencies. I don't do you?

I have a CB radio in my truck with a mag-mount antenna I also have a Ken wood 144/440 FM dual band TM-721A with a diamond dual band antenna.

now if I want to talk to someone in my local Ham radio club great but for trips I use CB.

"Oh and by the way, there are ways to modify a ham radio to access the CB frequencies, but that is a different topic."
on my Yaesu HF rig if you open it up it has a switch that allows out of band tx and rx which is great for using on the sailboat or talking 500 watts on the CB with amp.

edit I just read my own post I come off conformational sorry not my intent
I love my ham radios yes I said radios if you don't have at least three what's the use. again sorry if I came off conformational. Pete

KB8EMD
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion