To CB, or not to CB

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby pete42 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:36 pm

I said I didn't want to be confrontational.
why waste money on new radios when the same freqs are still being used or for the most part not used.
and no most Hams do not prepare for an emergency they just like to talk.
my main point is Ham radio is usless in trying to find out any information going down the road I'll stand by my statement.
and no I don't plan my trips by searching the repeater directory and I do have GPS in fact 4 one handheld and three for the cars/truck two with the traffic feature which isn't always available I would like to see a GPS that will explain why I'm sitting in all this traffic
I taught amatuer radio classes for several years and am proud to say I have introduced hundreds to the hobby. I help start a ham radio club at our local college and also taught there.
when you say distress call what fregency do you use if not the national calling channels?
I also started and ran several field days during my time
I started amature TV in one of my local clubs.
With help I ran two club booths at the Dayton Hamfest at the same time.
Pete" must be an alias, it's not what you use for your call sign.
call it an alias I call it a nickname I've been called for 50 years.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm

I use to have one. I had a girlfriend in Sacramento and lived in San luis obispo, I used the CB to listen to the trucking channel so I always knew what was ahead. Plus i could talk to people who had walkees too. A friend moved up to washington and he took my radio with him so he and his wife could keep in contact. He did not send it back, I kinda miss it.

:(
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Did ya'll see this is a 2
year old thread????? The last comment was 2009!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pete42 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:23 pm

started in 2006.
but things haven't changed that much concerning CB radio.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby emiller » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:24 pm

I use a CB with my friends when we travel together.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm an old CB buff from way back. I started using one in my truck in the early 1970s, a Sears 23 channel. In the 1980s I bought a replacement 40 channel but it also died a few years ago. I still have two walkie talkie 40 channels in the truck and use one on trips with a mag mount antenna on the roof for longer range. I don't talk on it much, but listen for highway problems and radar locations (oops, I mean Kojak with a Kodak) from the big rigs. I still have my old twin trucker antennas and even think about mounting them on my truck one day, one on each side of the cab. Talk about the retro look.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Breaker , Breaker one-9. Break one-9 we got a yogi bear breaking into a galley a campsite 12. Looks like jelly left out from breakfast!

Break one-9 , come on. :lol:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby cuyeda » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Not to active on CB anymore, but reminds me that I have to dig out my old Cobra 148GTL out of the garage. Now let's see... where did I put my Firestick!

Getting ready for a charity yard sale this weekend. This pile is going on the table! I lieu of this topic I thought it would make a good picture. Do you think $30/pair, including one charger would be a good price.

Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Now if only you had a TS-50S for that price. Darn staff discount :crying1:

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Gerdo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 pm

I use my CB when four wheeling with my friends.

I always thought it would be nice to have a common channel that all TD'ers would be on. Then either have your screen name on the tail or just do a shout out.

This would be good especially for when there is a big gathering.

CBs don't have great range but it is nice to chat from vehicle to vehicle.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Senior Ninja » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 pm

The channel would probably have to be within the first twenty three since there are lots of old sets around.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:59 am

Gerdo wrote:I always thought it would be nice to have a common channel that all TD'ers would be on. Then either have your screen name on the tail or just do a shout out.

This would be good especially for when there is a big gathering.

CBs don't have great range but it is nice to chat from vehicle to vehicle.

I'd vote for that, but not just for TDs--for all RVers. Ya know, some of the big RV rigs might want to learn about your TD or TTT. There probably are lots of folks on the road who'd like to convert to the simpler life of camping.

The "Official" Good Sam's promoted CB channel for RVers is 13. But I don't think many use it these days. In fact, other than truckers, I don't think many drivers use the CB anymore at all. If more did, and used a dedicated RV channel, I'd keep both of mine turned on, the RV channel in case an RVer contacted me, and channel 19 to listen to the road traffic reports. But, one could stay on 19 and when contacted by someone who wants to talk RVs, switch to a less used chanel to chat.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby jerry101jlh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Somebody put up a poll for the channel. I vote for 13
jerry101jlh
Teardrop Master

Re: To CB, or not to CB

Postby superphotog » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:08 am

:pictures: KXX-1492 Don't have the "teardrop" finished yet :worship: but I do have my Uniden Pro505XL ready to go. Brand new at $70 versus the $129 gps someone suggested.

Because of this discussion I am going to make a sandwich on Old Home bread and listen to my vinyl copy of "Black Bear Road." Does anyone know where to find his song/video about AlFERD Packer, the Colorado Cannibal which I believe was used to dedicate the student union eatery, Alferd Packer Grill, at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Someone remarked earlier that "thankfully" they possessed no CW recordings which leads me to wonder again what it would be like to not enjoy music :M the way I do :P . I have been told that my musical tastes lean heavily eclectic which is a polite way for someone to tell you that they think your taste sucks :) .
superphotog
Teardrop Inspector

Re: To CB, or not to CB

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:37 am

superphotog wrote:Does anyone know where to find his song/video about AlFERD Packer, the Colorado Cannibal which I believe was used to dedicate the student union eatery, Alferd Packer Grill, at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Someone remarked earlier that "thankfully" they possessed no CW recordings which leads me to wonder again what it would be like to not enjoy music :M the way I do :P . I have been told that my musical tastes lean heavily eclectic which is a polite way for someone to tell you that they think your taste sucks :) .

I'm more of a Phil Ochs fan myself (same cannibal but a different song entirely). Haven't heard it in years; think I was at a party with the Donners at the time. :lol: Looked up the C.W. McCall song on Youtube--Pretty good!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion