To CB, or not to CB

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

To CB, or not to CB

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:46 pm

I recently was given an old CB radio. I normally carry a cell phone. Do any of you carry a CB radio when on the road? I have only used one once - to call for a ride to a gas station. And that was in 1980! If I decide to carry it, what channel(s) should I tune to? It has 40 channels. I seem to remember channel 9 is/was an emergency channel. Is it still that way?

Thx
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby emiller » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:55 pm

:thumbsup: Yeah are gang uses ch #8 here in Arizona. Use them quite often, it's nice to talk to each other rather than using a cell phone when we are traveling together. Also like listening to Nascar haulers when leaving the race track here in Phoenix.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm

When running with a group (that's two or more) we all try and have some sort of CB. The new little walky talky's also work if your within a mile of eack other. Saves on cell time. For the most part S.C.T.T. runs on 14. But it's not a rule. Most of the East/West truckers run on 19.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi Rob, I'm not sure about over there but over here a lot use a UHF radio. If the one you have been given is an old 27Meg then I would'nt bother. If it's a UHF then have it fitted as you can use the scan facility and listen to others or monitor the truckies channel. It could come in handy when travelling if you need help.

JMHO

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:59 pm

Rob....back in the 70's I know it used to always be 19....to familarize yourself, rent Smokey and the Bandit!!! :lol: :lol: and we'll catch you on the flip side good buddy, I'm east bound and down....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kevin A » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:07 pm

Rob,

We used them last year for the tour to Minden, it was a great way to stay in touch with the group members when pit stops were necessary.
If you plan on any future group tours it might be a handy thing to have set up in your tow rig.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:07 pm

Hey Doug, What about " Looks like we got ourselves a convoy"

Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:08 pm

Rob,
Gosh, time warp. Joplin still has a large group who still talk every day on the radio. 19 and 21 are still the road channels. Joplin uses 34 for local if it hasn't changed.

I have 4 and a real good base station. Fun to listen to the truck trafic and good to keep up with what is on the road. Good for bad weather too.

10/4
Sunday
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:17 pm

So Paul....do you have the complete CW McCaul (sp?) cd collection?......"we got a mighty convoy.... ain't she a beautiful sight? CONVOYYYYYYY......but it's nothin' like Dave Dudleys 6 days on the road!! :lol: :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PaulC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:01 pm

doug hodder wrote:So Paul....do you have the complete CW McCaul (sp?) cd collection?......"we got a mighty convoy.... ain't she a beautiful sight? CONVOYYYYYYY......but it's nothin' like Dave Dudleys 6 days on the road!! :lol: :lol: Doug

Hey Snoop, Thankfully my CD collection is missing any of C.W.McCall's rivetting music :lol:
Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Many, many years ago I spent six weeks on the road to cover 9,000 miles. This by a small-town boy that had barely been outside the state, muchless to New York and Florida. Got a tape as a going-away gift that was all trucking songs. Still have that tape and still listen to it now and then. Sure enjoyed that trip, but don't think I could make a living on it. Gotta really respect those that do, though.
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:15 pm

Do CB'rs still go on the flat side (sideband)? It was always much clearer and not so many kids jabbering. I had a beam on the garage roof at 60 ft. back in the 70's. The wife would jaw at people on the east coast when the skip was going. Lots of fun back then, gave all that stuff away. Now I'm 10-9
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Halfdome...I had a friend...yes I did have one....and he and I drove the Alcan in the early 70's and he could talk to people thousands of miles away...he was a radio nut...made the trip a lot more fun...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Leon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:33 pm

I got one in the truck mainly for land speed racing. We use CB because the newer FRS units have such a limited range. It is handy going down the highway.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby CPASPARKS » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:07 pm

I have a CB in my tow vehicle(jeep wrangler). When on the road it is handy to get weather conditions and speed traps from the truckers.
Mine has a PA horn. I like to embarrass my daughter (12 years old) when I pick her up from school.
I like to holler on the PA something stupid to get her attention.
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion