To CB, or not to CB

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby xe1ufo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:25 am

I was the "Belchin' Bullfrog, in the Mouse Gizzard Mobile" on A.M., and on SSB "freebanding", I was the Aztec 28.

But I have reformed and am now a dually licensed amateur radio operator:
--KA5SUT, Advanced Class in the U.S.
--XE1UFO, Clase II, in Mexico

But ... I have been off the air since November, when my ham rig (and all my photography equipment and two old laptops) were stolen from our ministry office.

73's
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:49 am

OK Boodro,
Mine is still Sunday.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:06 pm

...mine was "The Original Bartender" when I was behavin' or "2 Speed" is I wasn't :o :lol: ;) ............................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby kirtsjc » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Boodro wrote:Ok all you CB'ers , back in the day when ya actually used your radio , what was your handle ? HUH?
Mine was " Big Dog " :lol: :lol:

KBEK7105 (late 1970's) and since I had a dark gray VW Scirocco, I was "Grey Ghost."

WHOO HOO, dun dat eber bring back memories - gotta talk to the padded walls about some of those memories!!!!!
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:39 pm

I remember my old call ( I think was KJM9368 ) in the 70's.
:shhh:
The car I had was a Green Duster '71 so I was the "Green Duster" ( boy I was original wasn't I ). Lots of fun in that time frame. My cousin has my old Layfette 525 after all these years. I think I still have a newer 40 channel Radio Shack and mobile antenna somewhere. 8)

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Senior Ninja » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:20 pm

FIY
Since the last post on this thread there've been some interesting changes!
You no longer need to demonstrate Morse Code proficiency for ANY Amateur Radio License. The Technician Class test is thirty five questions and you need to get twenty seven correct, if my failing memory serves me correctly. Passing this test allows one to use the two meter and 20 cm bands. Most of the radios are FM. There are a few truckers on the bands.
Steve
KC6YFR

8)
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby dlmarti » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:43 am

W0SNJ, here
You can catch me on the VHF contests
I've never been much of an HF guy, in fact I've spent more time on 1.2G than HF.
dlmarti
Teardrop Builder

Postby haul-all-day-rambler » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 pm

jump right in or the end begins...
haul-all-day-rambler
Teardrop Advisor

Postby humormeplease » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Take it from an old trucker....do not use "good buddy" on the CB, that's a gay reference. Also, when you hear someone mention "baba booey" it's a reference from the Howard Stern Show. Besides our cell phones we do have a nice Texas Ranger CB in the Jeep.

BTW...my old CB handle was "Tongue-n-Groove"

Here's one...Did you hear about the JB Hunt driver that got arrested for breaking into a hardware store? He was looking for a CB handle! I tried :?
Last edited by humormeplease on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
John & Susan Image Yellow Jeep, Silver Shadow trailer, & a Dachshund weiner dog
humormeplease
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:17 pm

I guess my off-of-the-wall, CB message to a fictional listener wouldn't be approriate. I used to say, "Wow, Bill look at all of those trailers loaded onto that train, if more freight was shipped like that, maybe there would be more room for cars on this road. Then in a different voice, I would call out, "Yeah, all of those trailers belong on those flat-cars, not on the highway, where they are just in the way."

The chatter that took place after that message, isn't printable on this forum. Sorry truckers, I was just kidding. I always gave a wide berth to Semi's and always will. Keep on trucking, and enjoy what you do. In my next life, I may be a trucker, exploring the great USA country side.
Roly 8) :? :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby fpoole » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Hehheh... Interesting thread...

I used a CB back and forth the I-5 (Seattle to LAX) drives and chnl 9 I believe was the 911 chnls with 17 the main ones if I remember correctly?? or was it the other way around (Joking)...

Now have book for SSB license, and have yet to crack it open... but will.
Still have my CB in truck, was thinking of replacing it just for fun and emergencies.. fun to recall it all...
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Pottercounty » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:55 pm

In the late sixties & early 70's I was KIE0812 but I sort of got tired of the whole thing & gave it up before the kraze started. Used to sit up on very top of mountain logging roads in Penna talking to people in Georgia ' Texas
New Mexico, etc ....Ah...those were the days...
best, Tim

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
Pottercounty
The 300 Club

Postby fpoole » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Yah, they were fun...
In the 60's also, overseas (SEA) we had the "Short Wave" with crystals.. and at night listened to some African hunter who just walked back into camp... was fun...
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:10 pm

I used to use a CB until a couple of years ago. I used a magnetic antenna.... but I found it was kind of useless, unless you were bored and wanted to listen to the chatter.

oh, it is great if traveling with others who also have cb units.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby TheresaD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:42 pm

I remember CB-ing when I was a teenager. We had a base unit at the house (still remember the call # KPL5084) and my brothers and father all had them in their cars. Everyone had a "handle" even my mother (who rarely used it). I was still young and into Disney so mine was Tinkerbell. They were great for road trips especially if you were coming up on major traffic. I can remember having the radio in my car on a trip to Myrtle Beach in my 20's. We were riding alongside some truckers a large portion of the way and they got us around a major pile up and back onto the highway a little further along. If more people I knew used them now I'd put one in my car in an instant again.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion