Getting luan to behave?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Getting luan to behave?

Postby Ira » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:09 am

I finally found my luan for my fenders (see Halle-Luan in Off-Topic!)--and at the risk of bringing back my old, LONG thread about this, I figured I'd start another:

I put the first top skin on one fender yesterday, and while it wasn't a BIG chore, it wasn't a total walk in the park. I didn't have any tie-down straps, and the brad heads kept popping through the luan.

I eventually realized that all I had to was drive a bunch of nails part way in, then hold the luan down and fully drive them, and it would hold.

But this required A LOT of nails, and I'm concerned about how this is going to look when I put the top, visible skin on.

Do you think I should attempt just gluing the top skins on? If so, what would I use to strap it down? (Cheap, please!) Do you think duct tape would work? Or will it leave too much gum, creating yet MORE work?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:13 am

Ira,

Put you fender down on it's side on a piece of plywood (3/4" would be best probably) and draw the profile on the plywood. Cut 3 or 4 of these and use the negative part to put over your laun when you put the outer piece on. this will allow you to clamp it in place and hold it exactly to the shape of your fender! Sorry, but I have to go now and will not be able to answer any questions on this until late tonight or tomorrow sometime! :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby surveytech » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:20 am

a ratchet strap down the middle would work with some bar or C clamps on the edges.
You could also do the hot water pre-bending thing to form the shape you want before you glue it down.
worked well with 1/4 inch Luan on my hatch.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby GregB » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:26 am

Ira,

Kerry's describing custom cauls. You do have some clamps don'tcha? If you have enough, you can also clamp across your fender with 2x2s placed at the strategic points.
This may all work but you gotta' remember that for your relationship to work with Larry you can't spend all your time trying to reshape him into YOUR idea of the perfect partner. He has to be able to grow into his own, err, plywoodness. Ya gotta' watch you some Dr. Phil! :laughing1:

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:45 am

Walter, where do you find those straps? I don't want to spend 20 bucks on something I'm just going to use once. And I think I WILL try the prebending thing. There's so much surface-to-surface glue area, why would I need nails at all?

I also don't know if my little C-clamps will help at all, when you look at the profile of the fender, but I can give it a shot.

And Greg, I'm going to turn Larry into the man he always wanted to be!!! We're going to start by watching a Barbra Streisand DVD tonight.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby surveytech » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:45 am

Ira wrote:Walter, where do you find those straps? I don't want to spend 20 bucks on something I'm just going to use once. And I think I WILL try the prebending thing. There's so much surface-to-surface glue area, why would I need nails at all?

I also don't know if my little C-clamps will help at all, when you look at the profile of the fender, but I can give it a shot.

And Greg, I'm going to turn Larry into the man he always wanted to be!!! We're going to start by watching a Barbra Streisand DVD tonight.

Ira,
bet Wally world has them as does home depot, lowes and you name it.
Its called a ratchet strap. Some have hooks on the ends some form a big loop. But either way they are cheap. Truck owners use them to secure the stuff in the pick-up bed. So when you are done building you can use them again! Probably around 10 bucks for a set of two.
If you do the prebend thingie you will want the straps for sure to hold the plywood while the wood drys.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby surveytech » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:58 am

heres a few pics in you want to mess with prebending

wet plywood with ratchet straps holding it in place.
radius is less than the 24 inches for my hatch. this is 1/4" ply

this is after the ply dried. pretty close to the 24" radius I needed.

If you go this route then dont plan on assembling the fenders this weekend.
It will take the wood a few days to dry out before you can do anything.
I left mine on a week.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:24 am

Actually Walter, since my stuff bends so easily anyway, I probably don't have to prebend it. Why not just glue it down and strap?

Also, what do you think--a job for Titebond, right? No sense in messing with poly stuff for this.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:38 am

Ira, do you have a HF near you? They have the cheapest straps. For your job, you don't need the two piece straps. The one piece will do to go around your fenders. Although they have a two-piece strap on sale for $2.99.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby surveytech » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:52 am

Ira wrote:Actually Walter, since my stuff bends so easily anyway, I probably don't have to prebend it. Why not just glue it down and strap?

Also, what do you think--a job for Titebond, right? No sense in messing with poly stuff for this.

I used Titebond III on mine but I also used screws and staples. I bet either glue would work.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:05 pm

I'll probably strap my skins to the sides and use TBII glue and my brad nailer.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:19 pm

This is a tough one, guys.

Do I shlep to my HF (yeah, there's one near me Dale) to save a few bucks--when with my huge truck, it'll cost me those same bucks in GAS?

Plus, I'm picking up lobsters at my super Wal-Mart to make tonight:

So it's lobsters, Titebond, those straps, and...

The Brinkmann propane oven.

Yeah--I changed my mind again. I'm not getting the combo microwave/convection that I posted about yesterday and stuck on layway with 20 bucks.

Geeez, I'm getting like a woman now.

NO OFFENSE TO OUR LADY BUILDERS! YOU'RE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS RANT HERE!

You're ALL too cool for words!

So can you have a talk with my wife please? I know I'm getting yelled at tonight when I walk in the door with that oven.

P.S.--Dale, since you're painting, your plan sounds fine. I'm staining, and those brad heads aren't going to be adequately covered like this, even if I tap them in to recess the heads.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:25 pm

Ira wrote:P.S.--Dale, since you're painting, your plan sounds fine. I'm staining, and those brad heads aren't going to be adequately covered like this, even if I tap them in to recess the heads.

You can buy filler "pencils" in different stains (not sure about red) to dab in the holes and I think you can varnish over them.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:32 pm

cracker39 wrote:
Ira wrote:P.S.--Dale, since you're painting, your plan sounds fine. I'm staining, and those brad heads aren't going to be adequately covered like this, even if I tap them in to recess the heads.

You can buy filler "pencils" in different stains (not sure about red) to dab in the holes and I think you can varnish over them.

The pencil will cover the brad head? I'm 90% sure I'm doing it in black though, with detailing in natural wood tone.

And that detailing is ANOTHER story.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Dear Mrs. Ira

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:34 pm

:) Dear Mrs. Ira,

Should your husband come through the door tonight bearing a Brinkmann Propane Oven, rather than the microwave combo, please rest assured he has purchased a superior quality product. As a long time fan and user of Brinkmann products, such as grills and electric heaters, he has made a sound investment in your Teardropping future. Propane is an efficient fuel, clean burning, and uses canisters that can be easily refilled thus making them environmentally friendly. (How am I doing so far, Ira?) :thinking:

Your husband has given a great deal of thought to his decision. I'm sure the concern about the mysterious effects of microwaves on one's psyche played an important role in his decision to go with propane instead. (Ira, put in the ear plugs BEFORE you walk into the house ...)

If you have any comments on his purchase, I'm sure he would be interested in hearing them cuz then we'll all get another great story on the forum.

Sincerely yours,
Teardrop Nanny :R
Last edited by The Teardrop Nanny on Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Next

Return to General Discussion