What's the real Weekender looking like?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What's the real Weekender looking like?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:40 pm

I don't suppose any is wondering what the real Weekender is looking like sitting on the trailer.

Okay, I wondered!!! That was enough for me to take the buck that was sitting out in the carport and throw it on the trailer, just for shits and giggles.

BTW, I told you the other day the tongue weight was 65#. Well today after I threw the buck up there on the trailer I weighed the tongue again. It's now 74#. So far I'm on track to achieve the lighter tongue weight... :D

Anyways, here's the photos...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:42 pm

Mike, Looking good. The weekender is 5x9 right.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:53 pm

It's actually 60 x 117". That's 9 3/4'.

It was necessary to add the extra 3" for the hatch. We decided to go with a hatch, so that we could add a fridge if we wanted to.

The galley is going to bolted in from the inside so that we can change it on a whim! :wink: That's easier than building a new teardrop every 6 months! :lol:

Mike...

P.S. I hope I'm not getting under your skin tonight!!! :rofl:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:05 pm

Dang, I want me one!!!!

Looks WONDERFUL! Nice and roomy!

Tongue weight is wonderful too!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Chip » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:18 pm

Mikey,,,thats looking awfully good,,,I like the lines,, now if ya could just figure out how to weekend a weekender,,lmao,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:24 pm

Bev, I know the time is not right for you yet, but when it is we'll have this down to a science. You'll be able to come over Saturday morning, and sleep in your new teardrop Saturday night, and then take it home on Sunday and paint it!

You know how people can go to a brewery and get a case of wine or beer made. You'll be able to come to Lake Orion and get a teardrop made! And you won't even have to wait 6 weeks for it to mature!!! :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:56 pm

Say, That is looking really sweet! I really like the idea of the interchangable galley!
Just one thing.....

mikeschn wrote::rofl:

I don't have a clue what the heck that means.

One more thing: Is the weekender going to be entered in the new contest?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:02 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:One more thing: Is the weekender going to be entered in the new contest?

You mean, as a prize? No, sorry...

And :rofl: is the emoticon for "rolling on floor laughing".

Been doing that a lot lately too. You guys are fun!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:22 pm

Just went out to check out the comfort level of the Weekender... Gotta tell ya, it's getting comfortable!!! Queen sized bed... the right height from the ground... hey hey hey... :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:26 pm

Mike that really looks nice. The white trailer really looks clean.

Out of curiosity...How did your dimensions and squares match-up with the welder's dimensions and squares? Every time I team-up with a woodworker (which I love to do) one of us is always off a bit. Which one of us is off is always up for discussion. We are usually poking at each other over a 32nd or less and whose tape and square we are using. Anyway it is usually close enough since after all we are not milling pistons here. D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Jimbo » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:31 pm

Mike, I know this has probably been asked before but how are you sealing the corner joints? Will the Uniflex take care of those? I know that is one of the most difficult things about building an angled trailer, getting the corners to seal.

BTW, Looking damn nice!!!
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:35 pm

D. Tillery wrote:Mike that really looks nice. The white trailer really looks clean.

Out of curiosity...How did your dimensions and squares match-up with the welder's dimensions and squares? Every time I team-up with a woodworker (which I love to do) one of us is always off a bit. Which one of us is off is always up for discussion. We are usually poking at each other over a 32nd or less and whose tape and square we are using. Anyway it is usually close enough since after all we are not milling pistons here. D. Tillery

Yep, that's the rustoleum primer. It still needs a coat of shiny black rustoleum.

As for the dimensions, it seems that my body is at least 1/8" longer than the chassis. I'm fine with that. I'm not planning on changing a thing.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:38 pm

Jimbo wrote:Mike, I know this has probably been asked before but how are you sealing the corner joints? Will the Uniflex take care of those? I know that is one of the most difficult things about building an angled trailer, getting the corners to seal.

BTW, Looking damn nice!!!

All the exterior joints will be glued up with a waterproof glue, probably gorilla glue. Then I'll cover it with CPES and then finally I'll use epoxy filler on the joints. The weekender skinning page covers that in more detail, here http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/skinning.html

You should not see a joint at all when it's done...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:23 pm

Mike!
Do you realize what you have done!!?
You have invented the Squared Modernistic!!
Now I see why I like this design so much!

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:26 pm

Mike, is the framing 3/4" lumber? I'm waffling between 3/4" and 5/4 (1")... I plan on through boltting the side wall to the floor with 5, 3/8" carriage bolts on each side...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to General Discussion