What's the real Weekender looking like?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:08 pm

Arne,

The framing is indeed 3/4" thick. I wouldn't pay the price or the weight penalty for 5 quarters wood.

It sounds like your bolts are going thru the sidewall horizontally. That's perfect! 5 bolts that size on each side is plenty!

Sounds like your're getting the hang of it... BTW, you are going to put glue in that joint, right?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:16 am

not exactly.

1/2" ply platform on h/f trailer. 3" tall, 3/4" frame parimeter wall around edge, through bolted vertically (3/4" frame, 1/2"platform, trailer). Will look like a castle wall around edge. below is front view of trailer.

|_________________|

The walls will be prebuilt. The wall bottom will have a matching slot, 3/4" wide, 3" tall, between inner and outer wall front to back. The wall will slide over the mating part on the frame. Like a 'key/slot' fit.

All will be glued with pl4000, or similar... and side-bolted.

One reason for doing it this way is I can start building walls/doors without having trailer, which may be 'in the mail' for several weeks.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:30 am

Mike, speaking of weight, is 1/4 ply on the outside enough, or should I go to 3/8"..? ......3/4" framing, 16" on center?

I've found 3/4 hi-R foil backed for insul. and will use 1/8 on inside, so it will make a good sandwich,, and I'll be using some glue on insul so it will become part of structure.. (not much glue, just an X on each piece).

I want it strong, but not heavy.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:20 am

I think 1/4" plywood is plenty for the outside wall when you glue in extruded polystyrene and then the inside skin. That makes for a pretty stiff and strong wall.

As for the 16" O.C. I think you'll find, once you lay out your studs where the need to be, you won't have any studs on a 16" center. They'll all be something less than that.

I'll measure my studs tonight just to give you an idea of where mine are at!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:01 am

Yea Mike, I would not change anything over 1/8" either. I just wanted builders to consider that when working with metal fabtricators and buying metal, their measurements might not match exactly. For example: sheet metal is sold long because it is not square when it comes from the mill. This allows the fabricator extra material square it. So don't lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood over a 4x8 sheet of steel and expect them to be the same. Steel extrusions are also sold long. Hope this helps prevent any surprises. D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:39 am

arnereil wrote: ......3/4" framing, 16" on center?

Arne,

Here's my framing layout... You can see that other than the 1 span in the center, everything is less than 16". I will probably add a "stud" in the center of that long span.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:10 pm

Mike, thank you for the layout. I may be overthinking this (a common ailment I suffer from)....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:30 pm

Door hinge: Do most put the door hinge fully exposed on outside because it is easier, or is there another reason (as opposed to hiding it in the slot)..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:03 pm

If you have 1/2" or 3/4" thick walls, you'll have a hard time trying to mount the hinge on the inside. Those hinges are 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" hinges. That's why I think you see so many on the outside.

If you have a 3/4" wall, Grant has a special hinge that would be mounted on the inside.

I plan on mounting my hinge on the inside this time, that's if I can find a narrow hinge.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Hey Mike`

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:08 pm

I am a little confused as to what all fo your pictures are. Are teh pictures in this thread of the 4x8 weekender? or the 5x8 weekender? thanks
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:12 pm

I am building a 5x8 insulated weekender. That's the photos that I am posting in this thread.

Every thing that I am posting on the Weekender webpage is for a 4x8 uninsulated Weekender. The sidewall framing plan would be the same for both!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:04 pm

Hey TailGatingNut...

I havn't seen you posting in a while... are you building or what's the story?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion