Question about springs???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Question about springs???

Postby tom » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:57 pm

Asside from the fact that they are designed differently, is there a difference between a "slipper spring" and springs with eyelets at both ends? Heck, is there a difference?
tom
Teardrop Builder

Re: Question about springs???

Postby asianflava » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:13 am

tom wrote:springs with eyelets at both ends?

Are you talking about the shackles?

I usually see this on trucks but they have other links and arms that stabilize the axle. If you had just shackles on both ends of the spring, the axle will move back and forth.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:23 am

To save a buck, cheap trailers eliminated the shackle and let that end of the spring rub on the frame. For light use, probably not a big deal, but as weight increases there is more friction.

One end of the spring has to move when the sring changes horizontal length as it springs and compresses (it's virtual length, eyelet to eyelet).
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby tom » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:54 pm

a slipper spring utilizes shakles to attach to frame and U-bolts/plate to attach to axle. But one end of the spring doesn't have an eyelet for the shakle bolt to slip through. Instead one end of the spring is bent into a slight loop to slip over the shakle bolt as opposed to a regular spring that has two eylets (one at each end) for the shakle bolts to slip through.WHEW... that was a mouthful..can anybody clarify this for me?
tom
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:24 am

Actually I figured out what you were talking about. The eyelet is the side that is the fixed point in the suspension. The shackle or slipper side moves with compression.

You are talking about a spring that is fixed at both ends. Right?

I haven't seen this myself, it seems like it would distort the springs. I don't know for shure, I've only seen the ones that have a shackle or slipper on one end.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby tom » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:10 pm

OK...let me see if I can clear this up...shakle/welded to frame...spring end sits inside shakle...bolt goes through hole in shakle then eyelet(hole) in end of spring then out the other side of shakle. Now that happens on both ends of a regular spring. But on a slipper spring this happens on only one end of the spring. On the other end..same shakle bolt combination but spring loops OVER this bolt...weight of trailer and spring tension hold it in place. Any feedback???
tom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:44 am

Tom,
Maybe I can help, you have the slipper spring down pat, however the shackle spring is like you said on one end the other has a shackle which is not welded it pivets though a bolt on the part welded to the frame and the eyelet on the rear of the spring, letting the spring get longer when it is compressed. Which I had a picture but don't. hope this helped. I personally don't like the slipper, have them on my car hauler, if you don't put them in just right and go over a bad bump sometimes they can pop out, had to redue mine. :(
Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby tom » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback Frank...I was given a set of slipper springs rated at 1250# each and would like to use them to save some $$$...You think if I moved the front shakle back..lets say 3/8" or 1/2" and compressed spring as I installed it..thereby increasing spring tension on the bolt
it would eliminate the potential of "bouncing out" as you experienced???..Thanks again
tom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:37 pm

Tom,

I'll send you a picture to your E-mail. Don't have the knowledge or web site set up to do it here. But since you have the springs yes, I would use them and think I can show you how to mount them from my experence.
It will be tomorrow as it is already dark here.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion