Air Conditioner Location

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Air Conditioner Location

Postby s4son » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:06 am

I have noticed on most trailers that have the air conditioner mounted inside the cabin, they are centered in the cabinet. Is there any reason you can't mount it on one side, closer to the wall?

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:13 am

Scott, I believe Mike's L'ill Dinner has it mounted to one side...just keep in mind weight balance and you should have no problems
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Air Conditioner Location

Postby Ira » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:21 am

s4son wrote: Is there any reason you can't mount it on one side, closer to the wall?

Scott F.

Feng Shui. (Or is it "Shue?")
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Arne » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am

keep in mind where the strength of the trailer frame and tear are... don't want 45# sitting in a weak spot.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby s4son » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:26 am

madjack wrote:Scott, I believe Mike's L'ill Dinner has it mounted to one side...just keep in mind weight balance and you should have no problems
madjack 8)

Jack,
I was thinking of putting the battery in the right-rear. Would that help balance the AC if I put it on the left over the axle?

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:57 pm

Maybe I should have put mine to one side. I call my wife "The Human Furnace" she always complains that she is hot.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:06 pm

s4son wrote:
madjack wrote:Scott, I believe Mike's L'ill Dinner has it mounted to one side...just keep in mind weight balance and you should have no problems
madjack 8)

Jack,
I was thinking of putting the battery in the right-rear. Would that help balance the AC if I put it on the left over the axle?

Scott F.

Yep my ac is mounted on the RH side of the Lil Diner. I don't have any problem with balance. But putting your battery on the opposite side is an excellent idea...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Air Conditioner Location

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:20 pm

s4son wrote:I have noticed on most trailers that have the air conditioner mounted inside the cabin, they are centered in the cabinet. Is there any reason you can't mount it on one side, closer to the wall?

Scott F.

Check my album, it is inside next to the wall and vents there plus through the back. The A/C generates a lot of heat and if it is inside it needs the extra venting. Be sure to provide a drain line to the bottom or outside too.
I carry other things that weigh enough to cure any weight distribution issues. I consider the tear an empty box and when I travel it is full.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Krob » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:35 pm

I plan on mounting the a/c in a permanently mounted box on the tongue, and running the 4" duct through the front, and up either side of the front of the cabin (in a closet) and vent from near the ceiling
Krob
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:01 pm

I've been thinking about the hose hookup... does the cold air come in the top and go out the bottom, or the other way around?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Bandit » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:50 am

I am building a 9.5' x 5' x 4' tall Weekender and plan to mount my A/C in the front wall centered. The A/C unit I am buying is from Lowes and is 5,000 BTU with a very small foot print. There will only be about 6" out side the trailer. I am either going to permanently affix it and make a box cover so that water is not forced in going down the road. Or, I am going to mount an external hatch door and put the A/C unit on a slider.
Haven't gotten to that point yey, but it will be soon as my floor and in floor storage is done and I am starting the walls.
:thinking: :thinking:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:26 am

arnereil wrote:I've been thinking about the hose hookup... does the cold air come in the top and go out the bottom, or the other way around?

Arne,

I have the cold air coming in thru the galley bulkhead, and leave the roof vent open for the hot air to escape since I have no return air duct. The only real problem I have so far is that it will freeze you out of there if the thermostat is set too low. I don't have the thermo remoted.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Krob » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:42 pm

Arnereil - Warm air rises, cool air sinks. I am planning on a supply vent as close to the top as structurally feasible, and an exaust vent near the floor going out into/through the galley. No return air from the cabin, will be fresh air supplied from outside.
Krob
Teardrop Builder

Postby cracker39 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:55 pm

Keep in mind, where you want the air to flow...straight out at you, or up and around the cabin. That's why I bought the Haier AC (from Target), because it has a top flow vent...it blows more up than out and will circulate all around, rather than straight out at you. Goldstar makes one that has the top flow too (HD carries them).
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Bandit » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:05 pm

I looked at two models of Haier units at Lowe's. It is amazing how small these untis have gotten. The 5,000 unit is all manual controls with a thermstat. The 6,000 unit is slightly larger, but has a remote. I plan to mount it high in the front panel of my WeekEnder. I'll have to look at the size in comparison to the room for mounting.
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion