Build progress from a long time lurker

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby dacrazyrn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:17 am

Redneck Trailers may have Lexan you are looking for. they have pre-sized, but I stopped into the local one and they have "pieces" you can cut to size. Thought about that when I was "stealing" Camp-Inn's ideas. :D
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Re: Build progress from a long time lurker

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:03 am

paddlehead wrote:Started building sometime last October. Original plan was to build something similar to Rick Keller's Road Toad, then we saw Camp Inn's new Rain Drop. We loved the Rain Drop's appearance and the possibilities it offered for more windows, so changed plans and decided to do a rip off of the Rain Drop, although with sandwich construction like the Road Toad.

Don

edit...fixed your pic for ya....MJ

Don, Your progress and skills are very impressive. Lurking instead of making multiple posts and just doing it has really paid off for you. Next time we make a trip to Bingen it would be neat to drop by to see your build if it would be okay with you. We would bring ours along too. Keep up the great work. :applause: :thumbsup: :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby paddlehead » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:36 am

All,

Thanks for suggestions, comments and good wishes!

Steve,

The way the axle is attached makes it quite easy to adjust for and aft. The original position was a bit of a SWAG and the tongue weight is currently low. I'll wait until we're near finished to finally balance the load, but will almost certainly have to move the axle back a little more.

Planning to use aluminum for the skin, although some sort of painted finish is still an option that's on the table.

Danny,

We would love to see you and your TD. We live in Camas, just about an hour west of Bingen. If you are coming from Puyallup it's probably on your way, just east of the turn off from I-205. Drop us a line and I'll send you directions to get here.

Don
paddlehead
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:53 am

Don,

Very nice. Looking at your your picture and I especially like the way you installed the bracket for the axel. Lets you move it as necessary, and yet very simple. The baggage compartment is a really good idea also. :thumbsup:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby s4son » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:31 am

Don,

Very nice looking. I've been waiting for someone to show off that design. Where did you get your cargo doors?

Scott F. :thumbsup:
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby t-vicky » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Really nice looking. A couple more pics like that & I might get up the nerve to try the 47 roswell. Keep up the good work.
The impossable just takes longer & cost more.
t-vicky
Teardrop Master

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:25 pm

Very cool Don. This site is where I buy most of my lexan.
http://www.freckleface.com/
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby paddlehead » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Scott,

Got cargo doors from RV Surplus, although they were custom made, not surplus. Cost a little over $50 each. Not cheap, but about $30 less than others I had seen and it would have taken me a long time to build.

Note, cargo area also serves as a wiring chase for back of cabin and galley area. Time will tell if that's a good idea or not.

Don
paddlehead
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:51 pm

paddlehead wrote:

Danny,

We would love to see you and your TD. We live in Camas, just about an hour west of Bingen. If you are coming from Puyallup it's probably on your way, just east of the turn off from I-205. Drop us a line and I'll send you directions to get here.

Don

Thanks Don, We pass through Camas on the way to Bingen. I'll let you know when our next trip down that way is. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Previous

Return to General Discussion