propane tanks

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:36 pm

8) 8) :lol:
Chris,
Have you also noticed how many really nice tongue boxes are out there? Seems to be a personal thing. 8)

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:42 pm

That's a good point...

At first blush I think it's because the battery has replaced propane as the energy of choice...

I know in my travels on the web I've seen a lot of propane powered appliances, lights, furnaces and stoves that could have been used in Tiny Travel Trailers...

Now a days you're more likely to see a 12v light, rather than a propane powered one...

Furnaces have been replaced by 12v mattress warmers and...

A stoves, as the only appliance that needs propane, is more likely to be fed from a 1 lb bottle or a small bulk tank on the ground, rather than having something hard plumbed to the tongue...

And if I were a beginner, building my first teardrop, I might not want to bother with trying to figure out how to mount propane on the tongue and plumb it to everything...

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:45 pm

...hey Chris, didja consider that in the 50/60's etc that they didn't have the 1# bottles like they do today and the fact that most appilances that we as TD'ers use are setup for the 1# bottles
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby rainjer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:04 pm

I will have a LP tank on my trailer tongue. It will be in my tongue box. I was planning on plumbing it to the back. I have now decided to just store it in there & carry it to the back when needed.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Q » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:07 am

I have a 20 lb lay down tank on the tongue. It's plumbed to the 2 burner stove and the forced air propane furnace with simple copper tubing running under the trailer. Since I camp in my trailer for many weeks at a time 1 lb bottles just wouldn't be practical.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Re: Propane tanks

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:22 am

Chris C wrote:Ya know, I've been hanging around this site for a few months now and something I just noticed tonight (Duh!) :duh: is how few propane tanks are to be seen on the tongues of teardrop trailers. They were a common site back in the 50's and 60's. Any comments you might have as to why you chose not to carry your propane tank on the outside of your trailer would be attentively listened to. :thinking:

Chris,

I almost went the 1# bottle route. The reasons were cost savings in the build, keep weight off the tongue, and to leave room for a bike rack on the tongue. Well, the bike rack wouldn't fit right because of the spare tire on the Honda CR-V, then I started to have concerns about keeping propane in an area where it would be closed up in the galley. So the tank, which I already had ended up on the tongue.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:24 am

SC Grreat TD!

By the way, some where along the line I heard that sports fans were painting their tongue mounted propane tanks the colors of their favorite team or NASCAR driver. These logos were dark in some cases and the dark colors caused the temp inside the tanks to rise and then explode.

I don;t know if this is an urban myth, but there probably is a good reason outdoor tanks are usually white or silver.

Whada think?

Dee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:01 am

Steve,

I was taking another peek at your beautiful trailer.............which is what prompted my thread.

I agree that 1# bottles are cool..........but they sure don't compare price wise with a larger one. Besides, with the Flamenta/Outback oven, I think it safer to have the larger tank for longer trips than just a weekend gathering. Right now I carry a cool little 7# tank, but plan on getting one of those new composits with a tan case....................think it'll go nice with a woodie. I'll probably hard-tube it from the tongue to the back as has been mentioned many times before. Thanks for all the comments. They are helpful.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:08 am

Dee Bee wrote:SC Grreat TD!

By the way, some where along the line I heard that sports fans were painting their tongue mounted propane tanks the colors of their favorite team or NASCAR driver. These logos were dark in some cases and the dark colors caused the temp inside the tanks to rise and then explode.

I don;t know if this is an urban myth, but there probably is a good reason outdoor tanks are usually white or silver.

Whada think?

Dee

Dee,

Urban myth about the exploding tanks... however, propane expands 1.5% for every 10 degree increase in temperature. That's why tanks are never filled beyond 80%. It's crucial to keep filled tanks so that relief valve is on top so that any "overfilled" volume will be expelled as a vapor, and not in its liquid form. This is why it's dangerous to paint propane tanks a dark color to "match your rig" -- it will heat up to higher temperatures and become "overfilled". Another interesting tidbit, when liquid propane is released it will expand to 270 times it's volume as it turns into vapor.

The technical parts of this came from an RV dealers website.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:14 am

Chris C wrote:Steve,

I was taking another peek at your beautiful trailer.............which is what prompted my thread.

I agree that 1# bottles are cool..........but they sure don't compare price wise with a larger one. Besides, with the Flamenta/Outback oven, I think it safer to have the larger tank for longer trips than just a weekend gathering. Right now I carry a cool little 7# tank, but plan on getting one of those new composits with a tan case....................think it'll go nice with a woodie. I'll probably hard-tube it from the tongue to the back as has been mentioned many times before. Thanks for all the comments. They are helpful.

Chris,

The tank you describes sounds very nice, any pics?. Also, do you have any ideas on what the propane usage is with the Outback range? I read someplace that it was around 3 hours on a pound of propane, but I can't find that anyplace.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:51 am

I use the 1 pound bottles because they are just too easy and convient, and as Mike stated, the only thing in the trailer that uses gas is the stove.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:11 am

GeorgeTelford wrote:Hi

There is no technical reason for the colour of propane cylinders, yes darker colours do warm up, but that is not the reason they arepainted that colour, in the UK they are blue (corporate colours for calor) and we have a big Calor depot a few miles away and the cylinders are kept in open sunlight.

That may be true where you're at but I can tell you from past experience that a lot of places around here won't even fill them if they are painted any dark colors. I have been told to repaint a tank or don't bring it back for refill. They want them white or a light tan or cream color.

GeorgeTelford wrote:There is no technical reason for the colour of propane cylinders

Afraid there is a technical reason, they get too warm in the sun and a full tank can blow off excess gas creating a hazardous condition.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:32 am

GeorgeTelford wrote:Hi Nitetimes
Sorry there is no actual reason, they may tell you that, but it's not true, urban legend

First off I'm not in the UK so that isn't relavent to me. I'm not going to argue with you over what the people in the business here have told me and that comes from there training they have to go to regularly to update.
I don't personally care what you can do there, I'm pretty much bound by the guidelines set by the retailers here.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:34 pm

Nitetimes wrote:I have been told to repaint a tank or don't bring it back for refill. They want them white or a light tan or cream color.

Silver is OK too.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:47 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Dang :EXP :duh A girl takes one little nap and somehow gets the blame uh credit for this masterpiece hijack. I just wanna say that can be real confusing for an old woman. :whistle: :rofl: :rofl:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to General Discussion