propane tanks

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby wlooper89 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:22 am

This is a type of 11 lb. tank that might fit where space is tight. It is about the height of a 20 lb. tank but skinnier, although I do like the look of the short fat ones on a tear. Originally I wanted to put this tank in the tongue box with the electrical gear but later learned that was not such a good idea. :o We move the tank to the galley or picnic table for use.

The tank mount is my design and build. Two 1/4" rods through existing holes in the base of the tank hold it in place. The tank mount is angle aluminum and Lexan plastic held to the platform with eight screws, fender washers, lock washers and nuts. So far that seems sturdy enough but I still look in the rear view mirror occasionally to see if the tank is still there. :thumbsup:

Last edited by wlooper89 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:24 pm

I don't have any pics of it, but we have a 5 lb tank that sits on the tongue. We found a 9 foot (I think) propane hose and ran it under the TD (parallel to the tongue) in a pvc pipe with a cleanout at the rear. When not in use, the excess hose sits on the tongue curled up, but when we need it for the stove, we attach the regulator and hose in the front, unscrew the cleanout, pull gently on the hose, and connect it to the stove. It works very well and the tank doesn't have to be removed to used.

Is the 5 lb tank big enough? Yep. We've never run out of propane when we've started with a full tank and any propane wholesaler will fill it up. Did we paint it? No. Its white.

The only "bummer" on the whole thing was that the cost of a 5 lb tank is about 3x what you pay for a 20 lb tank - filled. However, it costs less than $5 to fill it up.

AJ
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion