Very inexpensive camper fan

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby iamcarriesue » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:24 am

I caught this thread before EZ edited his reply about how to mod the battery compartment to plug into the 12v system.

My question is can any battery operated light be wired up to work off 12v ?

I found a couple of small wall-mount lights that run on 3 AA batteries that I was wondering if I could mod in that way as it would be perfect for what I'm looking for.
Karen
iamcarriesue
Teardrop Builder

Postby EZ » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:20 pm

Well, 3 AAA batteries at 1.5 volts each is 4.5 volts. A little shy of 12 volts and would probably vaporize.... The fan we we're talking about uses 8 D cell (8 X 1.5 = 12), so it is OK with 12 volts.

Ed :cigar:
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:50 am

Alkaline AA batteries are the most common AA battery type. They are pre-charged, and are rated at 1.5 Volt. In fact, the voltage of a fresh alkaline AA battery starts at somewhat more than 1.5 Volt, and while it is being used, declines steadily to 1.35 Volt and below. This feature makes it most useful in applications where a steady voltage is not too important. For example, you can re-adjust the volume on a walkman to counter the effect of the declining voltage.

---------------
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby weasel » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:14 pm

12 volt interior lights are pretty cheap $15 and up. Usin' 2 in mine and $5 table lamp for shore power. And gonna use the same fan.
weasel
Donating Member

Postby mosportsmen » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:40 pm

My 10 yo son pointed out this product to me a couple weeks ago. He thought it would be a great thing for camping in the future tear drop. He is ready....I'm a working on it.
mosportsmen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Eski » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:30 am

iamcarriesue wrote:I caught this thread before EZ edited his reply about how to mod the battery compartment to plug into the 12v system.

My question is can any battery operated light be wired up to work off 12v ?

I found a couple of small wall-mount lights that run on 3 AA batteries that I was wondering if I could mod in that way as it would be perfect for what I'm looking for.

Karen,

To answer your question, yes you can use any voltage (by "any" I mean a voltage below 12VDC) providing you reduce the voltage supplied to the lamp.

There are a few of ways you can do this:

1. Install a voltage regulator between your 12VDC supply and the lamp (a LM7805 regulator transistor will take an input of 12VDC and output 5VDC for the lights you described above). This option is good for 1 Amp current draw. A datasheet is available online for the transistor listed above.

2. Connect 2 resistors in series (10Kohms and 8Kohms should do the trick) and connect these between your positive 12VDC supply and ground. Then pick off the voltage between the two resistors and connect it to your lamp (power ratings of the resistors will be important depending on how much current the lamps draw).

3. Replace the existing globes in the 4.5V lamps for 12V globes and connect 12VDC from your supply straight to them.

Option 3 is the easiest, and I would try that first. If you cant get 12V globes for the lights, I personally would go for option 1, or do what the others on the forum are suggesting and buy 12V lights to save the hassle.

Hope this hasn't confused you too much.

Adam.
Eski
Teardrop Builder

Postby dakotamouse » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:30 pm

I just found this vent on Ebay
Item# 4634684946
Best price I've found so far. But I think I also want one of these box fans.

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:44 pm

I got 3 very good oscillation 12V fans from Wally World that already came with the 12V cigarette lighter plug on it. They were $8 and some change. They really put out a good breeze and the oscillation is great. The fan comes with a clip-on for attachment and a bracket for wall-mounting. They draw very little current.

They don't sell them at all Wal-Marts though. I'll post the item number later.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gambam » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:46 pm

most everyone on here says the fan on that vent is useless, but if you do want one like that check out this auction, 4634371757. I just bought my windows from him, very fast and cheap on the shipping. here is all his auctions -

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfrankbear517
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby Chip » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:40 pm

well add my name to the list of the 10" wally world battery/convertor special 2 speed fan,,, already got it torn apart for installation in the bulkhead wall,, I have to get a three position switch and wire it up so I can control the flow without having to stand on my head in the middle of the night,,, but thats just a technicality,,,

For anybody that has a first up canopy they also have the screen sides for about 28 bucks and the solid wind sides for about 45 bucks,,, both have two zippered sides,,, make ya go :thinking:

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:01 pm

:lol: Ya'll keep up with the good ideas and some of us are going to need a new cookie jar. The fan was great and wiring even better.

Thanks.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Micro469 » Mon May 01, 2006 10:44 pm

I just checked our Wallyworld up here and they don't even sell fans!!
What kind of BS is that?? :cry:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Mon May 01, 2006 10:53 pm

Micro469 wrote:I just checked our Wallyworld up here and they don't even sell fans!!

John, didja checkout the camping stuff in the sporting goods section...dat is where dey b down heah....other wise it must be a Canukian thing..........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Micro469 » Mon May 01, 2006 10:57 pm

madjack wrote:
Micro469 wrote:I just checked our Wallyworld up here and they don't even sell fans!!

John, didja checkout the camping stuff in the sporting goods section...dat is where dey b down heah....other wise it must be a Canukian thing..........
madjack 8)

I walked the D**m store from end to end....except for thr lingery Dept. You don't think they stock them there do you?? :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dakotamouse » Tue May 02, 2006 7:07 pm

Could be they haven't received them yet. Fans are considered a seasonal item and the hot season isn't here yet in the north country! ;)

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion