Microwave / toaster oven

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Microwave / toaster oven

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu May 04, 2006 8:02 pm

I just came across this oven while shopping for my galley stuff. Has anyone used it? It's not real big but the combo microwave / taoster oven seems like a good fit. The store I saw it at was selling it for $140.00. I would think with a little shopping around it could be had for a better price.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelL ... 65,00.html
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ira » Fri May 05, 2006 8:24 am

Butcher, check this one out--it's a true microwave/convection oven combo, which means you can actually roast meats and such. It's 9 bucks more.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3767274
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri May 05, 2006 6:02 pm

Hey Ira, thats the oven I was out loookig for. I saw that post. I can not find any place near here that carries it. I have been to several Walmarts and other stores as well, no luck.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TomS » Fri May 05, 2006 7:32 pm

Maybe it's just me. But, there is somthing about bringing a microwave along on a camping gtrip that just doesn't sit well with me. When I think about camping I envision cooking outdoors, over a fire, on a Coleman stove or perhaps, in a Dutch oven. But, the thought of nuking a hot pocket just doesn't seem like camping to me. This is not meant to be critical of others, just my POV.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IndyTom » Fri May 05, 2006 8:16 pm

If you are thinking about this oven, be sure you consider how heavily you have wired the AC side of your tear. That oven has the potential to use as much as 3000 watts according to the web page. That is a lot of power. Works out to about 25 amps @ 120 V.

Just an observation.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat May 06, 2006 6:48 am

I was going to mention that until I saw your post Tom. And, I'd read the reviews on any of the combo units. Some of them sacrifice efficiency in either mode in order to make it a single combo unit. An individual microwave and toaster oven would cost less and probably work better. bit would take up more space. What is most important? Efficiency and thrift or savng space?
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat May 06, 2006 7:48 am

Hi Guys,

Once you learn to use a convection oven, you would really like it. This ain't no hot pocket heater by any means. Faster baking times are a benefit, but the best part of a convection oven is its ability to roast meat. Cooked to perfection, outsides perfectly seared and the inside moist and juicy and cooked to the level you want it. Nobody says you can't use a dutch oven and cook with coals and have a state of the art cooking facility in your tear drop trailer too. I would look closely at the specs of the lower end combination models of ovens though. You get what you pay for. One of the joys of camping for me is cooking outstanding meals. No better way to get to know your camping neighbors than with fresh hot baked goods and a cold one. A hot dog cooked over an open fire on a green stick is pretty good too though. I didn't put in a convection/microwave because of what IndyTom mentioned about power usage. Still like my Outback gas range. Just another opinion.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat May 06, 2006 8:48 am

TomS wrote:Maybe it's just me. But, there is somthing about bringing a microwave along on a camping gtrip that just doesn't sit well with me. When I think about camping I envision cooking outdoors, over a fire, on a Coleman stove or perhaps, in a Dutch oven. But, the thought of nuking a hot pocket just doesn't seem like camping to me. This is not meant to be critical of others, just my POV.

I agree Tom, but nothing against Steve and his quiche! I am putting space for a microwave , not going to invest a lot in one, but when I think of what I would really use it for I can only list a couple of things. I hope to take my jewel box tailgating and on some short trips too. Considered a toaster oven too. Convection ovens are nice ! I have one at home.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat May 06, 2006 9:22 am

I use a m/wave a lot at home... I had to have one in the tear as part of my galley upgrade. It does not get used much, but those times when the coffee is getting cold, or we pull in late, it works very well to get things done with the least amount of effort. Setting up late and getting some hot dogs and beans heated up with no mess or fuss makes it worth it.

I think my ideas of camping and what I have and what I want changed when I went from a tent to a tear.. after all, my tent did not have tv, heat, or a/c, either. Some things just make life easier.

Funny you are mentioning campfires. I rarely have one. I am a smoke magnet and the last thing I need is more smoke in my lungs.... we do have camping lights, and we do gather round the group campfires.... and this year, I have a lot of stub 2x4s left over that have been drying over the winter that I hope to remember to bring to Mystic.... but in the groups we are usually further away from the fire pit.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby cracker39 » Sat May 06, 2006 11:57 am

I have to agree with Arnereil about the MW. I plan on buying a small one for my TTT...probably a cheap 600 watt that I saw at Target, about $37. It's for those times when you just don't have time to cook a meal outside, or like he said, for warming up the coffee. A toaster oven? Maybe.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

bb

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat May 06, 2006 12:39 pm

Microwaves..... most commonly I hear "pop some popcorn for the movie" which is a good idea. There's always Jiffy Pop and the campstove , but I saw Jiffy Pop in the store and it was about $1.79 --- and then you have to light the propane.... I know how to make a good caramel corn in the microwave too.

I'm not going to do Hot Pockets on the road, unless maybe during a hiway rest stop on vacation. I agree about it being a quicker way to reheat or heat up water, milk, etc. Or to thaw something if it didn't get thawed on the way to the campout. Melting butter, cooking up something if it's rainy or there's a burn ban.....

I am planning on one, 600 watt and $37 sounds good.

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dhazard » Sat May 06, 2006 1:11 pm

I just got a $37 Microwave from Wal-Mart. I passed on the combo unit because of the high power requirement. The cheep one that I got is 600 watts, should have no problem with a 2k generator running it. One other thing that I liked about it was no digital clock to set just a power knob and a timer knob…KISS
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sat May 06, 2006 1:28 pm

Like Steve said, a convection oven ain't a toaster oven. It's leagues above.

But to say we're roughing it by putting air conditioners and TVs in our TDs... but not microwaves?

Hey, if I wanted to rough it, I wouldn't be building this thing in the first place. I'm building it so I DON'T have to rough it.

I mean, come on guys--we're even sewing CURTAINS!!!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:35 pm

DHAZARD wrote:I just got a $37 Microwave from Wal-Mart. I passed on the combo unit because of the high power requirement. The cheep one that I got is 600 watts, should have no problem with a 2k generator running it. One other thing that I liked about it was no digital clock to set just a power knob and a timer knob…KISS

That sounds like the one I saw at Target...didn't know WM sold it and WM is close....Target is 20 miles from here on the other side of Lakeland.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby TomS » Sat May 06, 2006 7:35 pm

I agree with everything said about convection ovens. We have a convection toaster oven and I just replace our gas range at home with model with a convection oven. I have considered bringing our convection toaster oven along with us when we go to Cape Cod on Memorial day. The campgound we're staying at doesn't allow fires of any kind per town ordinence. However, we will have power at the site. So, we'll probably bring along the toaster oven intead.

One of my complaints about microwaves is they tend to dehydrate food. A long time ago, a friend's father, who owned a restaurant, gave me a tip when reheating food in the 'wave. Take a wet paper towel. Soak it in water and drape over the food you're reheating.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion