How's this profile..??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Larwyn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:05 am

mikeschn wrote:Sounds good. Have you already laid out your rear cabinet arrangement? You know there's not much room back there, and curving all the way to the galley floor is going to reduce the amount of usable space even more...

Mike...

Yes, to some extent I have laid out the space available for the galley. There sure aint much... :) And the air conditioner will take a lot of space where ever I decide to put it. I have not gone too far to completely re design the profile yet. Even considered swaping over to the weekender (you have already done most of the brain work on that one.. :) ) but I keep reminding myself that it was the teardrop shape that brought me to begining this project.

Thanks for the suggestion, guess it's back to auto cad for a new look... :D
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:10 am

You could always do a curved weekender... you'd have your cake and eat it too! Hmmmm I'd better design the curved weekender eh... Okay, starting up CAD system now!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:34 am

Here's a curved one...

I left the dimensions on since you have CAD and can also draw ellipses!!! ;-)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Larwyn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:44 am

mikeschn wrote:You could always do a curved weekender... you'd have your cake and eat it too! Hmmmm I'd better design the curved weekender eh... Okay, starting up CAD system now!!!

Mike...

Great...!!!

Raising the front, then raising the back of my profile it apears to be evolving into a benroy.. :D . Not that I have anything against the Benroy profile, but if I waiver from the teardrop shape a curved weekender might just be the ticket.

Time will tell. And there is plenty of time as my "spare time" will be mostly occupied with chores other than TD building untill the end of the Texas Renaissance Festival (mid November). As I have mentioned I am living in my 5th wheel trailer for now. The place I have it parked it virtually abandoned most of the year, but during the festival it is a rv park for many of the artitists, vendors, and craftsmen of the festival. I seem to have been "elected" as the resident handyman, making campground improvements, rv repairs, etc. All this while still working 40 hrs at my regualr job, and some of that overnight/out of town.... :) Still 3 weeks from opening but the work has already begun. At least I have a trailer with a well insulated floor for now... :D
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:45 am

Here's another one, with a little more pronounced curves, an no flats on the front or the rear...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Larwyn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:48 am

mikeschn wrote:Here's a curved one...

Mike...

Thanks Mike, I'll be studying that one a bit. I actually like the way it looks...
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:56 am

Larwyn wrote:

Mike...

Thanks Mike, I'll be studying that one a bit. I actually like the way it looks...

Okay, but use the 25.5 and 31" dimensions (from 2 messages up) to get the same profile. I didn't attach the dims to the right points. :(

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Larwyn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:16 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Larwyn wrote:

Mike...

Okay, but use the 25.5 and 31" dimensions (from 2 messages up) to get the same profile. I didn't attach the dims to the right points. :(

Mike...

Okay Mike

I think I like the curved weekender, I have ploted it out on auto cad and and will cut the profile out and make a decision as soon as time will alow. You have been a great help in deciding what to do about the lack of space in my original plan.

One issue I have is that the axel would be 41 inches from the rear of the body with the way I have may trailer assembled. Probably not a real issue since my tow vehicle is a Silverado 1500, but I noticed that your axle is 49" from rear of body. I hoping I will not need to chage the axle location. What do you think..?
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:25 pm

Hey Larwyn,

Your Silverado, with leaf springs will tow just about any teardrop you can throw at it... but lets back up and see what you got...

Using the formula 34.5" from the rear, plus 6" for every foot, would put the axle at 43.5. You're at 41" .. not bad...

I am really trying hard to make my tongue light, which is why I have it at 49" from the rear.

My first thought of your tear's axle at 41" doesn't sound bad for the Silverado. Just don't buy a Trabant, or some other 3 cylinder car without a suspension!!! :lol:

I don't think you'll have a problem at 41".

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:38 pm

I like the curved one Mike!

Wonder what it would look like with Camp Inn shaped doors?

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:41 pm

Aw Bev, don't say that... I was going to give you the squared off Weekender, while I developed the rounded off one...

Okay... back to the drawing board...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:45 pm

Now Mike, I didn't say I don't like the squared weekender too!
I like them both!
(I like all the stuff you come up with)

Just wanted you to do some more cad work and show the curved weekender with curved doors.

Bev

(Darn...and to think I just gave up my shot at that squared weekender) :oops:
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:54 pm

Well you know, the case isn't closed yet. I'm keeping you in mind as I play with these wooden shells over here. But I wouldn't want you to come over and pick up a square shell if you really want a round one.

:big grin:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Larwyn » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:42 am

mikeschn wrote:Hey Larwyn,

Your Silverado, with leaf springs will tow just about any teardrop you can throw at it... but lets back up and see what you got...

Using the formula 34.5" from the rear, plus 6" for every foot, would put the axle at 43.5. You're at 41" .. not bad...

I am really trying hard to make my tongue light, which is why I have it at 49" from the rear.

My first thought of your tear's axle at 41" doesn't sound bad for the Silverado. Just don't buy a Trabant, or some other 3 cylinder car without a suspension!!! :lol:

I don't think you'll have a problem at 41".

Mike...

Mike,

My Silverado has pulled my 5th wheel many miles. Thats 7,000 pounds total with aprox 1200 of it on the king pin (of course that is directly over the axel). I am sure I could haul most TD's in the back of the truck with no problem... :D let alone having a problem towing them. :D :D

Since you have been so concerned about tounge weight I knew you had done your homework on this one. And since my trailer is set up to have the axle 8" farther back than your trailer, I did want and do apreciate your opinion on it....Thanks, you are being very helpful here.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Larwyn » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:48 am

beverlyt wrote:I like the curved one Mike!

Wonder what it would look like with Camp Inn shaped doors?

Bev

Bev,

How is that coupler mod you made working out?? I like the simple aproach you took to eliminating that HF monstrocity. If you are having no problems with it, I think that is how I will handle the problem myself. Besides I have all the parts on hand for the way you did it.... :D
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Previous

Return to General Discussion