Portable Hot Water Sink - Cheap

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Portable Hot Water Sink - Cheap

Postby Ben W » Mon May 08, 2006 2:25 pm

I'm hunting for sinks right now and came across this on ebay. For those who might be interested, it has a self contained heater and pump. It looks like it requires 110. The seller bought nine of them from the Dept. of Energy. They've got huge Pelican Cases and were originally designed as portable surgeons scrub sinks that could be dropped from planes.

There are six available.

-Ben

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8806087290
Ben W
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Mon May 08, 2006 2:31 pm

Almost considered that setup until I saw it'll cost me 50 bucks for shipping!! It could be useful for a lot of things and not a bad price at $70 but way ridiculous on the shipping.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon May 08, 2006 2:56 pm

Doesn't look practical at all:

You're paying for a case that can be dropped from a plane, which you don't need, you need electric to heat the water, and you have to feed the water by pumping a bulb.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ben W » Mon May 08, 2006 4:35 pm

Ira wrote:Doesn't look practical at all:

You're paying for a case that can be dropped from a plane, which you don't need, you need electric to heat the water, and you have to feed the water by pumping a bulb.

Ira, you're right. For me it's not practical. But a lot of guys here just hookup to electric. At $69, though, you're really not paying for a case that can fall from a plane. I gaurantee the DOE paid a LOT more for these. Also, the pump is electric, the hand pump your talking about is just a primer. If you look closely, the thing operates automatically by depressing a foot switch.

Me, I went with the Coleman Hot water on Demand.
Ben W
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon May 08, 2006 5:54 pm

The Pelican case alone is probably at least $100 by itself.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 08, 2006 6:34 pm

asianflava wrote:The Pelican case alone is probably at least $100 by itself.

You could probably re-sell the case on ebay and keep the sink!
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Ira » Tue May 09, 2006 7:42 am

Ben W wrote:
Ira wrote:Doesn't look practical at all:

Ira, you're right. For me it's not practical. But a lot of guys here just hookup to electric. At $69, though, you're really not paying for a case that can fall from a plane. I gaurantee the DOE paid a LOT more for these. Also, the pump is electric, the hand pump your talking about is just a primer. If you look closely, the thing operates automatically by depressing a foot switch.

Me, I went with the Coleman Hot water on Demand.

You bought your unit already? That's the one I'm dying to buy, but just haven't come up with the scratch for it yet.

And you're right about this unit--I didn't notice how it actually worked. Also, when you look at the cost on this, even with the shipping, it's a lot cheaper than putting our sinks and Coleman units into the galley--and saves space.

But Ben--what size/kind of sink are you looking for? I saved a fortune by buying a large, deep aluminum chafing pan from a restaurant supply house and just cut a hole in it and installed a drain.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ben W » Thu May 11, 2006 9:44 am

Ira,

I was looking for a table with a recessed sink in it, similar to a Coleman kitchen, but not so elaborate. In the end, I ordered an aluminum roll-up table and am just putting two plastic rubbermaids side by side on it with the Coleman Hot Water behind them. I'm keeping stove/sink out of the back of the TD to spread out and have more room.

As for the Coleman Hot Water - AMAZING. It does what it says. Although, when I went camping last week, we got down to freezing at night. In the morning the icy cold water only heated up to luke warm. This shouldn't be a problem if we store our water properly, and shouldn't be a prob for you down in FLA.

-Ben
Ben W
Donating Member

water heater

Postby Texsita » Thu May 11, 2006 8:44 pm

I have been looking at a lot of different water heaters. I even bought one of the ZOID http://www.zodi.com/ from Wal Mart. Took it back the next day. It did not have any safety at all (and I believe you can't idiot idiot proof the world), but I was looking for something else.

When I remodeled my Casita, I took out the old water heater that had leaked everywhere. Under the kitchen sink I hooked up and extra exterior water inlet into the hot water line. Some day, I plan on purchasing one of the little 6 gal electric tanks. I can then run a hose from the heater using a braided washing machine hose to the inlet. This will give me hot water whenever we have shore power. Presure supplied by shore water. Even has a T-stat.

Most of the time we dry camp and we just heat some water on the stove or camp fire.

don
Casita owner that is fascinated with Teardrops

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/texsita/my_photos
Llano County, Texas
Texsita
Donating Member

Re: water heater

Postby Ira » Fri May 12, 2006 7:26 am

Texsita wrote: This will give me hot water whenever we have shore power. Presure supplied by shore water... and we just heat some water on the stove or camp fire.

That's the beauty of the Coleman unit--rechargeable to pump from a tank, but you can also hook directly to a water source.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ira » Fri May 12, 2006 11:19 am

At the risk of starting yet ANOTHER thread about this subject, looky here.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=1795858

Mind you, I REALLY want the Coleman, but two things are killing me--the cost, and how to place it in the galley. (If it was 20 bucks, I'd figure OUT how to place it.)

So putting hot water aside, this $25 Coleman shower works on D batteries, and I think I can mount it right by the sink to use as the primary faucet. Does anyone know what kind of flow this thing provides? Is it like just a trickle?

If I spend $200 on the Coleman, the wife will hit me. For $25, she'll just yell.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby PaulC » Fri May 12, 2006 11:40 am

Mate, put up with the abuse from the wife :BE The coleman unit is worth it.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

Yes I do have one
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Texsita » Fri May 12, 2006 2:05 pm

Go to Colemans site below.
Under the "Expert Info" section you can read the product manual, this shows you how to operate it.

And, you must watch their video. :lol:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... d=2300-700

I NEED IT !! --- I WANT IT !! --- I'VE GOT TO HAVE IT !!!!!!!!
It's just $> $> $> RIGHT!!
Casita owner that is fascinated with Teardrops

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/texsita/my_photos
Llano County, Texas
Texsita
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Fri May 12, 2006 2:21 pm

PaulC wrote:Mate, put up with the abuse from the wife

You have no idea how hard she hits...
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Chris C » Fri May 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Texsita,

That's the one I have. HOT WATER ON DEMAND is no kidding!!!!! :thumbsup:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Next

Return to General Discussion